One Synth Challenge #119: Waverazor 2 by Tracktion (Prize added!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
phace
KVRist
203 posts since 21 Mar, 2015

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:08 pm

@Taron That is so cool :) btw the way you managed to detune the sound post-comb filtering in the matrix is super clever!

Taron
KVRAF
2304 posts since 17 Apr, 2010 from Croatia

Re: One Synth Challenge #119: Waverazor 2 by Tracktion (Prize added!)

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks, phace, hehe, yeah...if the comb allows it, tuning the delay time can result in really amazing character changes (timbre?!) Anyway...risky business, but can get quite beautiful. :)

phace
KVRist

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:37 pm

Here is my first attempt at creating some kind of strings

https://soundcloud.com/deep-theory/wave ... rings-test

I didn't use any chorus, so I'll leave you guessing on how I created that "unison" effect :)

hint: "wav # duty"

jasinski
KVRian
608 posts since 20 Oct, 2003 from Seattle

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Some organic percussion sounds.. feel free to mess em up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phace
KVRist

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:58 pm

thank you Jasinski :tu:

I updated my strings patch, quite transparent now... thought I would just give the preset since I've been stealing all of your patches.

Here was my trick, 2 oscs (the 2nd osc being somewhat of an operator for the first osc - also a basic waveform). The first osc is 2 steps and the 2nd osc is 1 step.
I took the "wav1 duty" from the 2nd osc and routed it to an lfo, this created somewhat of a unison effect.
With some more tweeking on that lfo, I could create a neat little vibrato - play around with that.

note- you must send to a large carefully tweeked reverb in the mixer :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Taron
KVRAF

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:31 pm

AH, thanks, Jas! Yeah, that kick is really interesting! I'm sure you'll do some magic with those percs, too. They do, however, remind me why I'm always hesitant to unload my presets on y'all, because it's tough to make sense of them out of context. Anyway, I can't wait to hear what you'll have done! :hyper:

Thanks, phace! I'll have a listen to your strings later, too. I'm just done for tonight, I think... late enough.

ontrackp
KVRian
651 posts since 13 Jan, 2013 from United States

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:47 pm

phace wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:58 pm

I updated my strings patch, quite transparent now... thought I would just give the preset since I've been stealing all of your patches.

Here was my trick, 2 oscs (the 2nd osc being somewhat of an operator for the first osc - also a basic waveform). The first osc is 2 steps and the 2nd osc is 1 step.
I took the "wav1 duty" from the 2nd osc and routed it to an lfo, this created somewhat of a unison effect.
With some more tweeking on that lfo, I could create a neat little vibrato - play around with that.

note- you must send to a large carefully tweeked reverb in the mixer :tu:
Your string patch sounds awesome and it's good to hear an example of successful modulation of the duty cycle. What wave types are you using? I've been playing with the basic saw wave as a starting point for strings and it has some strange low artifacting going on which is making transparent strings tough.

TheNeverScene
KVRian
546 posts since 1 Dec, 2016

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:25 pm

I've really been struggling with all aspects of Waverazor. The UI just throws me into a tail spin. It IS great at a lot of things, I just can't seem to get it rolling.

Here's a wip.

https://soundcloud.com/the-never-scene/ ... -3/s-cFqd2
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

] Peter:H [
KVRian
665 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:57 am

UNISONO Recipie:
I've posted my unisono recipie already, but here again
The trick is - I use each WR-Oscilator as virtually 3 Oscilators.
Setup osc A, use 3 steps, step size 1. Use for all three slots a Saw
Now:
OscA.wav1.cents = 0
OscA.wav2.cents = +14
OscA.wav3.cents = +21
The trick works because from some key upwards your ears only hear a "mixture" of the detuned waveforms and no longer three distinct waveforms.

Fatten it:
Now add OscB and OscC and use permutations of the cents spread, i.e.
OscB.wav1.cents = +9
OscB.wav2.cents = 0
OscB.wav3.cents = +16

Same for OscC...I think you get it, right?

Thing to do from this starting point
Lab 1: Try to add some fdbck loop (see the fdback entries in the matrix tabs, don't forget to send it, see output tab)
Lab 2: Try to add the resonator (Pro Tip: Please mind your ears! Resonator can be loud...probably setup an FX-chain with a compressor set up as limiter after the resonator)
Lab 3: Try to root the oscs differently in the stereo field...

If you want to know how my unisono patch sounds - check out my current WIP
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/osc- ... ip/s-c9bSC

Feature some nice Strings/Pads, Percussions bassed on my Kick-Experiment
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

] Peter:H [
KVRian
665 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:04 am

Using Waverazor as FX Unit
Had a brief little conversation with Taiho over at my fb page.
He confirmed my assumption, that you can use WR as FX unit.
You may have observed the "audioin" stuff in the various routing matrix tabs.
Audioin can server as "osc" and can be shortcutted directly into the FX unit of WR.

Here's what Taiho wrote: "[...], Peter is right when he says you can route through the chorus effect only. The audio inputs appear as oscillator waveform choices, then you can bypass the filters and go directly into an effect send. The routing can get a bit complex, so if you run into trouble, let me know and I can help.
BTW, if your DAW doesn't allow you to instantiate an instrument as an effect plug-in, the Waverazor installer can install Waverazor FX, which identifies itself as an effect, but is otherwise identical to the instrument version.
"

jasinski
KVRian
608 posts since 20 Oct, 2003 from Seattle

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:07 am

phace wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Thanks Phace. Downloading. :)

phace
KVRist

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:55 am

ontrackp wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:47 pm
Your string patch sounds awesome and it's good to hear an example of successful modulation of the duty cycle. What wave types are you using? I've been playing with the basic saw wave as a starting point for strings and it has some strange low artifacting going on which is making transparent strings tough.
thanks! with some subtle chorus I can only imagine it will be better although I didn't try to put any chorus on it yet. I've uploaded the patch so you can pretty much see - The first osc is 2 segments, the first being a pure sine and the 2nd being a exponential waveform where I've raised the volume of the 'pointy' parts of the waveform (to create resonant character), the second osc is a saw-explog 5 or something, one of those. I was toying around with different waveforms for that 2nd osc with trial and error just trying to see what sounds best.
For sure not the easiest synth to create strings with, but I like such challenges.. I didn't get too scientific with frequency analysis; just played everything by ear

https://soundcloud.com/deep-theory/wave ... nd-version

here is a different version where I swap the saw for a square, and the modulated duty cycle also creates an illusion of PWM :)

phace
KVRist

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:15 am

Here is an example of the Vibrato illusion (no volume LFO used, duty cycle modulation only)

Something I should also mention in the strings patch: Osc 2 is synced to itself (yea sounds strange), but if you increase the pitch/phase of this osc, you can go from Violin -> Viola -> Cello and get all kinds of nice results instantly! Experiment by changing the saw to a square as well.

https://soundcloud.com/deep-theory/wave ... atostrings

ontrackp
KVRian
651 posts since 13 Jan, 2013 from United States

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:56 am

phace wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:55 am
ontrackp wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:47 pm
thanks! with some subtle chorus I can only imagine it will be better although I didn't try to put any chorus on it yet. I've uploaded the patch so you can pretty much see - The first osc is 2 segments, the first being a pure sine and the 2nd being a exponential waveform where I've raised the volume of the 'pointy' parts of the waveform (to create resonant character), the second osc is a saw-explog 5 or something, one of those. I was toying around with different waveforms for that 2nd osc with trial and error just trying to see what sounds best.
For sure not the easiest synth to create strings with, but I like such challenges.. I didn't get too scientific with frequency analysis; just played everything by ear

https://soundcloud.com/deep-theory/wave ... nd-version

here is a different version where I swap the saw for a square, and the modulated duty cycle also creates an illusion of PWM :)
Really lovely. Thanks. Will download and use the patch as a basis for some sounds!

Taron
KVRAF

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:10 am

It's not an "Illusion" of PWM, really. It's actually by definition a pulse-width-modulation, hehe. See, the duty cycle is the equivalent of a pulse width(x2 really, pulse signal and no signal), though any other waveform than a square has technically not a "simple pulse". Anyway, it's all sort of curious, but no matter how happily one filters around, it's just all such a scratchy aliasing mess. When I make sounds with it, I basically try to suspend my perception of its crappiness, but I can only hold it for some time until I just can't take it anymore, hahaha...argh... ah well.
I'll try to wrap up my song with it and then will finally get back to ModulAir, which I'm so sorry about having skipped...grrrrr. Forgive me, Björn! ♥

Return to “Instruments”