Over-engineering or exercising increased creative freedom

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
bermudagold
KVRist
289 posts since 15 Feb, 2005

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:03 am

5 years old,...but interesting perspective on the last half century

http://www.audiomastery.com/interview1.php
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Michael L
KVRAF
2479 posts since 25 Jan, 2014 from the End of the World as we Knowit

Re: Over-engineering or exercising increased creative freedom

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:53 am

Great article. My money quote is "you’ve got this huge palette and you can do anything, but you wind up with it all being so conceptual that it’s lame. There’s no magic, no opportunity for the recording to come out any better than your concepts"

Aloysius
KVRAF
22677 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from a computer

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:12 am

Cool. I love reading these sorts of articles.
yes you couldn't

woggle
KVRAF
2328 posts since 24 Nov, 2012

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:36 am

great article - a lot of true stuff.

"a big commercial factor in how much people enjoy listening to a recording is the ability of feeling like the artist when they achieve the performance." Here he hints at people being able to recognise the physical behaviour of the performer and map that onto their own understanding of how they would feel if they were making those same movements (n this case he is talking about breathing patterns) Which is consistent with what we know from neuroscience and psychology
what you don't know only makes you stronger

foosnark
KVRAF
4487 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:25 am

Neat interview.

Part of that is why I record the way I do -- no multitracking, just record a stereo mix that happens live. No piecing bits together in the DAW. Once I have a good take, I unpatch everything and there's no going back and re-recording bits later to change something. You have to commit. If that recording doesn't work, just toss it, don't polish a turd.

lfm
KVRAF
4761 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:15 pm

Howard Massey has written some books Behind the glass - that is about great producers over the years.
Interviews with people from all over, just like this one. I have the first and Volume 2.

Recording the Beatles is a brick worth reading too if wanting historical perspective and a lot of details of recording sessions too for those interested.

Good reminders how art is created - and focus on the right things.
There are soooo many things that can distract you with endless abilities of today.

There are so many great artists and productions out there today as well. But suddenly you are just struck by lightning what comes out of the speakers - that's art. One album that was recorded by session musicians live and great artist that just was so much more alive - people dedicated their lives to music and it shows. That's really hard to replicate ITB.

I like some documentaries by David Grohl - like Soundcity and Sonic Highways. Stories of the old ways in Soundcity and how he aquired an old legendary Neve console - and current times too - like Foofighters Sonic HIghways albums made in various studios all over USA.

I also like David Grohl's view that all is about performance. That is where art comes about. It does not need to be perfect, it's people that comes through and the love for music.

I check out the Soundcity film a couple of times a year - just for inspiration.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”