Lets see some studio pics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:59 pm
Aliens wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:05 am Very festive. Have you got the new update yet? That'll be like a prezzie from the fat bloke in red.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/ ... nthesizer/
I got them. The filter is vastly improved, and the pads are velocity sensitive with 3 velocity curves. Its almost a different synth. :party:
:tu:

Some pics since the latest studio updates:

Here are a few artsy shots:

:o :clap: :hail:

Justin's setup always reminds me that no, I havent got carried away with mine. :lol:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

@justin3am

Incredible! With all that gear, looks like you might have trouble fitting a bed in there, which
would be a problem for me as I would never want to leave that room. :hail:

In my stupid head, I find it hard to reconcile that massive set-up with the fairly minimal electronica on Justin's Soundcloud page.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:38 pm In my stupid head, I find it hard to reconcile that massive set-up with the fairly minimal electronica on Justin's Soundcloud page.
Thanks for listening!

When I was doing the videos where I played in front of the synths, I tried to have each piece of equipment visibly doing something. That's not really how I work most of the time. I start playing around with one synth/sequencer combo or with an instrument I play by hand, running through a bunch of effects. I record that and then I move on to something else. I don't often use everything in a single track.

There are some core pieces that get more frequent use (the Octatrack, Shared System and API 2500) than others but anything that might get used needs to be hooked up to the patch bays and be ready to power up or I usually won't bother. Ironic considering I completely tear down the modulars and re-patch for each project. But setting up outboard gear is different from patching a modular somehow. I mean, no matter how much I love gear, I never had any fun setting up to go on stage when I was in a band. I was silly enough to play shows using a desktop with a 24" CRT. :oops:

You should see my garage though... :scared:
I'm not saying I'm a hoarder (my wife says I've gotten much better :lol:) but I do have a tendency to go after old video game systems and video editing stuff at the local swap meets. Also toys that make sound and odd instruments. You get the idea. It's like the 1990s threw up in there.
Last edited by justin3am on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:22 am Justin's setup always reminds me that no, I havent got carried away with mine. :lol:
Yeah, I mean, I don't feel like I've gotten carried away... it's perfectly reasonable to have what looks like a spaceship cockpit or Dr. Frank N Furter's laboratory console, in a married couple's living room. Right? There is a couch in there, somewhere. I've slept on it several times. :lol: :cry:

justin3am wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:07 amWhen I was doing the videos where I played in front of the synths, I tried to have each piece of equipment visibly doing something.
I didn't watch the videos, I just let your Soundcloud page play through my headphones at work for about an hour (until it got to the really noisy stuff, which got distracting). Sort of like early Cabaret Voltaire for the new Millennium. Great for listening while I work.
I'm not saying I'm a hoarder (my wife says I've gotten much better :lol:) but I do have a tendency to go after old video game systems and video editing stuff at the local swap meets. Also toys that make sound and odd instruments. You get the idea. It's like the 1990s threw up in there.
I'm the complete opposite, I don't like keeping old things once new and better things come along. My oldest synth is my Ultranova, which I will sell the minute I don't think I need it any more. Everything I keep needs to have a relevant function or it's gone. And I'm the same with everything - I only buy brand new things and I get rid of them the minute they become obsolete in my life.

All that said, it's unbelievable how much junk I still manage to accumulate. But it's all little stuff, things I worry that if I throw away I will need again next week, like tools and Tupperware containers and garbage like that. But it's starting to get out of control so I am up for a big purge, just as soon as the new album is out the door.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I get that way with boxes. I'm sure that as soon as I throw a box away, I will need to ship the device that arrived in said box. :dog:

I really need to do a major purge the next time we move. I can still do laundry in the garage but I haven't seen my lawnmower in months. It's either behind the PA speakers that are too big to fit in my car or under a pile of Sega Master Systems... :lol:
Last edited by justin3am on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

took me a hell of a lot of willpower to ditch all the lego boxes :lol:
synth and pedal boxes you have no chance :hihi:

I have a garage full of guitar boxes and a closet pretty much dedicated to equipment boxes. It's one of the dark little side issues that comes with this silly obsession. Compounded by the fact that the few times I've wanted to ship something it turns out to be the one box I decided I didn't need.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:04 pm I have a garage full of guitar boxes and a closet pretty much dedicated to equipment boxes. It's one of the dark little side issues that comes with this silly obsession. Compounded by the fact that the few times I've wanted to ship something it turns out to be the one box I decided I didn't need.
I know the feeling. :hihi: I rent an 8 x 4 x 6 storage locker from U-Haul. Only $35 a month, but completely packed with empty gear boxes. My excuse is that I move every year or so, and those boxes really come in handy.

How about having boxes that are full of boxes? lol I have a couple of those in the closet.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:04 pm I have a garage full of guitar boxes and a closet pretty much dedicated to equipment boxes. It's one of the dark little side issues that comes with this silly obsession. Compounded by the fact that the few times I've wanted to ship something it turns out to be the one box I decided I didn't need.
I keep all my boxes but only because it makes it easier to see the things that came in them when I'm done with them.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”