RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

sircuit wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:20 pm Mayores f. Bad Bunny from Becky G
I just youtubed it.

Well, I'm not going to argue about tastes, but this song doesn't seem to have any regognizable synth sounds. Just some guitar chords which are probably taken from a real guitar sample library, a tiny synth arpeggio at the background and a generic subbass. I don't think you need an advanced synth such as Rapid to recreate it. It's more about mixing/production techniques rather than synth presets.
Last edited by recursive one on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

If by "dubstep" you mean brostep - no, it's not dead by any means. It's not as popular (meme) as it has been but it certainly is there, just check out UKF (12:47): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMYEL5o57Xs They have a channel exclusively for brostep and riddim, and it has been evolving through the years. Maybe for the people who does not usually listen to this, it sounds the same as in 2010, but I can assure you it has changed a bit.

If you mean "real" dubstep (dubstep by definition), it has never disappeared, although it has nothing to do with the sounds showcased in that Rapid demo: https://soundcloud.com/cncpt_collective ... oon#t=1:46

I'm of the opinion that if Mirko has released that expansion, it's probably not just for fun or because two people requested it. He will have his reasons and this is a business.

Jorgeelalto wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:35 pm If by "dubstep" you mean brostep - no, it's not dead by any means.
Indeed, brostep.
Jorgeelalto wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:35 pm Maybe for the people who does not usually listen to this, it sounds the same as in 2010, but I can assure you it has changed a bit.
Exactly, just "a bit", a tiny insignificant bit. Brostep cant' do consistent change without changind it's identity. Same for drum'n'bass, it changes just a bit, but again that does not justifies releasing packs constantly.
Jorgeelalto wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:35 pm I'm of the opinion that if Mirko has released that expansion, it's probably not just for fun or because two people requested it. He will have his reasons and this is a business.
As I already mentioned, if this makes sense business-wise, I understand.

OK guys, I am going to stop here on this topic. Let's agree to disagree and move on :tu:

It's always interesting to see people who don't follow the scene in a particular genre call it "alive" or "dead". "Brostep" is definitely alive and well, although it sure as hell isn't as popular as it was 2011-2013. Doubt it will ever see that kind of popularity again, most mainstream music has moved on. But it's still got an extremely large following. Heck, check out excision's Festival a year ago dedicated to only that kind of music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PIhqTrL4GA
sircuit wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:21 pm Exactly, just "a bit", a tiny insignificant bit. Brostep cant' do consistent change without changind it's identity. Same for drum'n'bass, it changes just a bit, but again that does not justifies releasing packs constantly.
This is true in parts. Brostep is pretty set-in-stone in terms of arrangement, song structure, and composition. I kinda wish there was more experimentation here actually, it can get boring after a while.

What has evolved over time is the sound design. It's extremely different from back in 2012, and much more complex. And I'm sure this is why Dubstep-themed sound packs are still popular. All the new aspiring brostep makers want to get their hands on those sound.

Companies like Cymatics have done a fantastic marketing job capitalizing on this. Releasing packs themed around different popular artists or subgenres, and constantly pushing towards those influential target audiences.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Okay, I thought RAPID is selfexplained but I may be wrong, because everyday I've got a lot question like "how could I do something like this with the sequencer?", "how can I import my own wavetables", "Is Rapid able to make bassline-sounds", "What is a synthesizer", "Can Rapid make a cup of coffee?"...

I understand now because I bought an analog hardware synth which is complete new for me and all the functions which are available are not directly visible for me. BUT... the company made a series of videos and I watched each of them to learn each f**king function of the synth.

That inspired me to create an own series of videos for RAPID. The first video is online and shows how to download, install and activate RAPID (the most of you will now say "cmon dude, I know how to install an activate it").
The second Video is almost finished and I will carry on with this series. Step by step and each upcoming video will go more in detail.

This is a hard task for me,... why? maybe you know, I am from Germany. In the past at school my favourite subjects was math, physics,... we also had the subject "English" and I hate it,... really, I HATE IT! :-D If I am talking english it is like mouthf*ck.
Okay, enough,... What I want to say,... I started a series and I am giving all to explain all the functions of RAPID. So here we go with the first video. :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfvWfvV4f7w
Last edited by Mirko R. on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your english is good enough, don't worry. I understood the video perfectly :D

Jorgeelalto wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:40 pm Your english is good enough, don't worry. I understood the video perfectly :D
Duuuuude,... thanks. :-)

And I love your avatar. A duck as a banana. xD :clap:

And in case you missed it, here's a Lead sound tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipne3G6LHYk
I know I know. Probably too much EDM for your taste, but maybe you get some sound design tricks out of it :wink:

Dude it sounds huge, thanks for the tutorial. Interesting to see how you build the sound part by part, not slowly but not too fast either, and well explained. I'm a fan.

Mirko R. wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 pm "Is Rapid able to make bassline-sounds", "What is a synthesizer", "Can Rapid make a cup of coffee?"...
I believe you. Because that's the kind of people who somehow always happen to be just ahead of me when I'm in a store, waiting for my turn to buy a [cable, memory card, whatever...]. Especially camera stores are bad...

Anyway, looking forward to your videos about the somewhat more advanced stuff.

parawave wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:20 pm And in case you missed it, here's a Lead sound tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipne3G6LHYk
I know I know. Probably too much EDM for your taste, but maybe you get some sound design tricks out of it :wink:
Thanks so much Mirko. Please can we have more of these tutorials. :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

recursive one wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:32 pm
I just youtubed it.

Well, I'm not going to argue about tastes, but this song doesn't seem to have any regognizable synth sounds. Just some guitar chords which are probably taken from a real guitar sample library, a tiny synth arpeggio at the background and a generic subbass. I don't think you need an advanced synth such as Rapid to recreate it. It's more about mixing/production techniques rather than synth presets.
I'm more and more convinced that the market for the presets (mostly bedroom producers) have no connection with the market of music makers (aka people that actually make a living from producing music - not referring to presets makers though, they are same category as plug-in makers, they don't sell to the final listener).
Markets seem to overlap in case of big studios that have everything up to date for compatibility reasons (Nexus, Kontakt, Waves plugins, Sonnox, Slate etc.).

I had a somewhat similar discussion on a different "pro" forum, only to find out that just a single person in the thread was actually living exclusively from a music producer job. In another thread people tried to convince me that very cumbersome midi routings are essential for producing music. So I have to take in account that in every thread we have just a couple of people actually making all their money from producing music, several presets makers and lots of newbies that think the newest pack will bring them a place in top10 beatport. Each have very different needs and points of view.

Meanwhile for all the newbies out there: the best music out there is the one that "seems" easy to make, when listening to it.

recursive one wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:32 pm
this song doesn't seem to have any regognizable synth sounds. Just some guitar chords which are probably taken from a real guitar sample library, a tiny synth arpeggio at the background and a generic subbass. I don't think you need an advanced synth such as Rapid to recreate it. It's more about mixing/production techniques rather than synth presets.
* nevermind *

sircuit wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:28 pm Meanwhile for all the newbies out there: the best selling music out there is the one that "seems" easy to make, when listening to it.
I think this is what you actually wanted to say :)

I don't think that song was easy to make - the mix was good and the sounds were simple but worked well together, the guy who had mixed it definitely had great skills. I didn't like that song at all, but I appreciate the efforts put into making it. But the song didn't have any synth sounds that would be interesting on their own.

You are right, people who make a living from producing music are a small fraction of people who make music and who buy plugins and the related stuff. I'd also say that people who aim at a place in top10 beatport are also a small fraction of people who make music.

Btw, these new reverbs sound incredible! :love:

Probably some the best built-in reverbs I've heard in a synth. I typically use an external send reverb but I can see myself using these for some sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCc_UF3KW8k

Return to “Instruments”