One Synth Challenge #119: Waverazor 2 by Tracktion (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

@phace I ran with your idea of making strings... Here's what I ended up with.

Made several variations.

Here's a celloish sound.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuyw593cgj8fp ... t.mp3?dl=0

And now played via my Seaboard block + reverb.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tp5bpfwm3kzlp ... b.mp3?dl=0

And presets are attached below. Feel free to improve them or use them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Taron wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:22 pm Here's a little test I did with what I've learned today. All sounds from Init, except the ride cymbal like thing, which was based of the crash3 or do in the templates.
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/waverazortest01/s-L8OCr

Must say...things I shouldn't say. So...I'm not gonna say them. It's kinda dirty and I'm not quite sure, if it's enough to say it's meant to be that way, but hey...made a decent rhyme. :shrug: :lol:
I like this....this needs to be the alarm tone on my cell phone....it has something uplifting and restorative in it....great thread btw...thanks to all
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

deleted
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FYI I may or may not be working on a new synth:
WaveSlayer.png
In case there is any confusion: WaveSlayer has no association with WaveRazor. Also WaveSlayer only plays back heavy metal guitar sounds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by z.prime on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@Z: :lol: ...:tu:
@bermudagold: Thanks, I'll finish that one. :)

jasinski wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:39 pm @phace I ran with your idea of making strings... Here's what I ended up with.

Made several variations.

Here's a celloish sound.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuyw593cgj8fp ... t.mp3?dl=0

And now played via my Seaboard block + reverb.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tp5bpfwm3kzlp ... b.mp3?dl=0

And presets are attached below. Feel free to improve them or use them.
Really cool, I was half-assed about my original attempt but it was because I wasn't sure if I was going to actually make a track with strings, even though what I've done was just a common PWM kind of pad. Nice work on the glissando and vibrato there..
I'm procrastinating between different ideas, I also made a glitch that I'm so excited about, but I'm really trying to focus on a track now (will I even manage one?)
Last edited by Auplant on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taron wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:24 pm L O L, OMG, I was just going to make an example song for you, loading up my Comb_Toy01 and thought my ears are going to implode...da f..ck.... so, yeah, I am having the problem that sounds can come back VERY differently than what I had saved... :x :cry:
Well, I would apologize in advance for all those, who loaded up this patch and had a meltdown, but that's 100% what I was talking about and not my freaking fault!
Danged...anyway, I'll render an example for you. My other comb patches seem fine. You have to watch out with combs, because their unique power is in their feedback, which you should let run freely, only triggered by an impulse wave, rather than having a waveform constantly feeding into the comb. So...you tune it right, set the feedback high (even at 100%) and control the damping to your liking, especially in the first comb mode in WR. IF you keep feeding a wave into the comb, especially when its at the same tuning, it will resonate like crazy, of course, creating all sorts of havoc.
I will now have a look at what I need to do to fix the darn Comb_Toy patch... :ud:

OK, I have it fixed now, check the original post again:
viewtopic.php?p=7282522#p7282522

It was the compressor effect. When I applied it, it didn't seem to do much at all, so I tried some things with it and eventually just forgot about it. After loading the patch back up, the compressor went into FULL EFFECT, which was "no kidding" bombastic and gear-endangering, haha. So, yeah... things that don't seem to work right away MAY work later: Watch out!
Taron, I think I may have encountered the bug you have been getting with patches not saving/loading correctly.

I noticed that one of my patches saved differently, and in the Effects it had a Resonator, but I thought I saved it with a Chorus. It seems that sometimes when you switch the effects in the dropdown that it will say it's one thing, but look/act like the previous effect. So in this case it said Resonator at the top, but it was showing the controls for the Chorus and sounded like the Chorus. When I reloaded the save, now it has the Resonator and it sounds like the resonator! So this could catch you unawares!

One workaround I found for this, is instead of directly switching to a different effect - switch to < none > first, and then the new effect. (Chorus, < none > then, Resonator etc).

OK, so...well...this is at the moment my favorite sound I've made with WR. Put a bit of room on it, a sort of slightly dirty bar, if you can imagine what I mean, and then just play either a typical saloon type of tune or a pirate theme or so... go at it hard and...dang, this is pretty freaking fun! :hyper:

Should've called it HonkyTonk or Wild West or Pirate Bay, I don't know... but well, Spicano it is! :shrug: :lol: 8)

I might fiddle around with the mix some more, maybe go at it again at some point, but this is what I've got thus far:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/taron-ridingtotheedge
OSC#119: Waverazor

Instances: 23
DAW: MULab (www.mutools.com)
FX:Mid-Side Processor, 2BandEQ, Vintage Echo2, level compressor, cross_delay, dimension expander
3rdParty: Nova-67p, Abstract Chamber, Auburn Studio Panagement(free), OTT, Limiter6
Last edited by Taron on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🌌 A Space Cruiser On A New World 🌙
Part 1: Lonely Cruiser thru the void
Part 2: Something's wrong
Part 3: Ship crashes on yet unseen world
Part 4: Waking up on the emergency station
Part 5: Exploring and first sunrise on new world (Can you hear the Explorer breathing heavily in his space suite)

Visual Art Work: Based on CC Licence picture taken from https://visualcocaine.org/photo/3470/fa ... -beautiful

The whole track has been produced with MOK #Waverazor only, only accompanied by FX. Synth sounds and Sound Fx have all been created from scratch by me. Produced in #Bitwig

https://choon.co/tracks/0mw5m9slkju/spa ... new-world/

Ok, OSC first-timer here...been listening to results forever but never dared to try one out before! I just do this for fun, and my biggest problem is really finding time and energy to sit down with music when I don't have a specific goal--this gave me a specific goal :) I can't tell you the last time I actually "finished a song" vs just set down a snippet and then opened a new project. My biggest weakness in putting tunes together are drums (I use sample and midi loops) and this quite noticeable on this project :D I have zero patience for programming drums, something I need to work on.

I am pretty bleh about what I came up with composition-wise, it's a bit disjoined and nothing really "spoke" to me. This synth is about the opposite in sound and functionality compared to what I normally use so I struggled mightily with it. I will "win" one category I'm sure--the most boring bread-and-butter sounds of any submission! LOL! I mostly used the template sounds as they were closer to what I knew. There may be a couple presets I used as-is, but I tried to change them around. A few sounds I reduced the oscillator count and then doubled the track...I had a bit more control over things that way. I felt I really needed some "impact" or sound effect type things going on at a few points that would spiced up transitions (along with drum fills, which I didn't do)...I was unable to program these in WR or find any presets that I felt would work as such.

DAW is logic pro. I used 18 instances of WR. Simple non-modulated delays and all reverb is Logic's Chromaverb. I wasn't sure about compression so I didn't use any except for a tad on the master bus (will remove if need be). Used a few channel EQs when I struggled to shape a sound in the synth. There is a bit of movement/modulation going on but I must admit I did that by automating WR params in the DAW....I'm a neophyte sound designer even on a simple synth so I got lost fairly quickly on this thing!

I'm very unsure about the mix--my ears are not so hot anymore (if a hihat goes to my left ear I can't really hear it due to high freq hearing loss) and the mix was done on my "eh, ok" Sennheiser hd 280s. I'd like to upgrade at some point.

Anyway, I'm glad I participated.

https://soundcloud.com/rickanderson-1/o ... verazoring

Welcome to the gang, Stokely! ;) ...you'll get plenty of feedback along the way, I'm sure! I really like the vocoder like sound. Lots of good stuff in there for sure and a very pleasant mix for sure. Builds nicely, too. :tu:

Here's a tiny demo doodle for my Spicano patch...had a moment to kill:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/honkydoodle

Welcome Stokely,

Many people say the same thing that you said -- they normally don't complete songs and this forces them to -- and that's a good thing! It's a friendly community, you'll get some good feedback. Approach it as a way to have fun and learn new things every month!

LOL, well I didn't actually "complete" mine in the way I should have but I ran out of steam and patience. Still, that was longer than I usually take working on something before moving on to the next minute-long snippet so it was productive :D

Waverazor is very interesting. I had a real hard time getting the lush, softer sounds I was seeking but that is probably on me. Some of the sounds I was getting reminded me a bit of the early 80s Tangerine Dream sound (Exit being a favorite of mine) so I kind of attempted that sort of vibe, which isn't at all what I normally do.

Seems that if you export a preset and load it again, the onboard effects can stop working as some kind of bug.

Return to “Instruments”