u-he Twangström 1.0 released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sascha wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:57 pm It would be instantly audible if you switch 'target' to post, wouldn't it? IMO reverb->tremolo makes more sense here, especially when the input signal is quite rhythmic and not steady.
I was thinking of it being more akin to Tremolo pedal into an amp w/ reverb. But yeah, in the old Fender amps, the Vibrato (tremolo) would've been post-reverb.

Well, lfo-to-gain definitely works pre-reverb, but of course this is very dependent on what you feed through it. And the longer the reverb tail the more the trem effect will become washed-out.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

jens wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:56 pm
Urs wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:00 pm
jens wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:52 pm So there's no disproportional building up of vibration at all with increasing stimulation by the transducer? And also the physical movement always stays exactly the same?

And if the spring is built into a combo amp that starts to vibrate more and more at higher gain (because the housing at some point starts to vibrate), does that not (potentially) start to shake the spring (even more) disproportionally? I would think that the actual construction, speaker-size, number of speakers etc. has potential to add specific non-linearity - is that not the case?

As I mentioned, I never analyzed it, so I'm just assuming here really, but I certainly would have the required gear to do so (standalone spring reverb, combos and rotary-amps)
You can simulate this by modulating parameters with the envelope follower. If it doesn't happen in a combo amp, it can still happen in Twangström :clown:
Yes, I know and even though I love that you implemented that, I didn't really manage to get what I was after... (perhaps I should have tried longer/harder)
Okay, now after examining the spring-behaviour of three different devices, I can clearly say that Twangström does not appear to behave like a typical spring-tank at all to me. A real spring-tank normally does indeed react very dynamically to the input signal is what I found.

E.g. the Fender emulation in Amplitube seems to be spot on to me, the afore-mentioned one in the BBE Stomb-board as well. :?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Well, since you are so clear on this, would you mind sharing how you exactly test that properly, and how we can reproduce it? Otherwise we'd be going back & forth and everything remains subjective.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Yes, I was thinking of testing it properly (which I did not do yet) by re-amping the same recording at different levels... foor now all I did was playing through the devices (a 10inch tube-combo, a 2x12inch transistor combo, a stomp-box) with my guitar.

But then again in the end that's what I actually (mainly) use plugin springtank-emulations for and that's how this started: I played through the Twangström-demo and was disappointed, because it somehow seemed way off to me and then I tried to find out why that is. And if you do the same with some of the better emulations you should find that there's a significant difference to Twangström, which sounds all twang by its name, yet - imo - not by what comes out of it.

With a name like that you gotta deliver, I am inclined to say - it's sort of throwing the gauntlet. :razz:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Okay, I should not have posted without trying Twangström yet again. :oops:

Now I have a slightly better idea of what seems different to what I'd expect and desire with it.

It's not that the twang isn't there, but it seems too dark and... how too say that? Let's say "too roomish" to me - or perhaps not roomy but chamberish - I dunno... :?

I wouldn't post if I wouldn't still hoping that it's me somehow. Spec-wise and GUI-wise and name-wise Twangström ticks all the boxes for me.

I'm assuming you turned on the "Bright" switch on Twangstrom when testing, yes? That should at least take care of the "too dark" part.

I wouldn't doubt Sascha's ability to create a proper physical model of just about anything, he's well proven his DSP chops over time :)

Yes, he certainly has - which is what confuses the hell out of me.

You know what? I think something went wrong on my machine. I didn't find the switch you mentioned so I was starting to look for the version number...

says Rev.8131 - is that still a beta-version? In that case it seems installing the V1 version over it somehow didn't correctly work here.

Yeah that's not the latest version. Rev 8189 is latest. I suggest completely removing the plugin before installing the official v1.0.

hang on...

Better, it seems, but still way too dark, I feel...

If you want it brighter, turn on the light...

If it's still too dark then it might be because you're comparing it to complete devices, and many have a distinct signature eq from the circuits around both transducer ends. We chose to have only the tone pot on the input and keep the rest natural. If, in comparison, you take a naked Accutronics tank and only have basic impedance-matching circuitry around it would sound pretty dark, with not much above 5k.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board

ahhhh, interesting! So, what would you recommend bookending it with, to mimic the rough signal flow of a complete one?

Return to “Effects”