Wave's WIR Impulse response convertion to WAV

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I need to convert wave's WIR impulse respose format to WAV for using in other convolution reverbs (Voxengo for instance).
Is it possible to convert all samplas in a batch not one by one?

It is most likely not possible and most likely illegal. They're in there to sell the Waves stuff. Why don't you just use the Waves plugin ?

Let's say I bought Waves IR with 2 impulses CDs but Voxengo Pristine Space seems for me more powerful. I'm just couriose if I could convert WIR to WAV.

DonJenaro wrote:Let's say I bought Waves IR with 2 impulses CDs but Voxengo Pristine Space seems for me more powerful. I'm just couriose if I could convert WIR to WAV.
My guess is they're most likely encrypted. Could be easy to to encrypt or really hard. I doubt it's allowed anyways so i won't even try.

if you can't convert the files directly, you could play a single-sample spike through the reverb settings/IRs you want to convert, and render the result. this will give you the IR. still might be illegal though, not sure what the Waves license says on this.

Yes, it's possible to convert one or two samples plaing them through the reverb.
But I have 2 CDs of samples, thus I'm looking for a more convenient way...

figured i'd add 2¢ here since the info is already on the internet.
the file format is 32bit float little endian.
the header is described here: http://freeverb3vst.osdn.jp/tips/tips.shtml
if you were to import a file in say Adobe Audition, you'd need to "import raw" → 32 bit IEEE float, little endian, 1 channel for files with "m", 2 for "s", read offset 40 bytes (skip the header), and then when it opens, normalise the file to 0dB (100%)

alongside the .wir-s, the .xps-s contain metadata for e.g. normalisation etc.

Not to derail, so as a sidenote: I wouldn't mess around with Waves files. If you are looking for high quality impulse responses here is a free set of Lexicon IRs:
http://www.housecallfm.com/download-gns ... xicon-480l

DonJenaro wrote: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:50 pm Yes, it's possible to convert one or two samples plaing them through the reverb.
But I have 2 CDs of samples, thus I'm looking for a more convenient way...
aah - Pristine space is good but Waves IR is not bad either - exactly the same sound. Waves IR for $16 at AudioDeluxe at the moment is great value
what you don't know only makes you stronger

Yeah I’m willing to bet they are encrypted too. It helps protect their intellectual propertty and those who would want to rip off their IRs and sell them off at something else.

You could, though, try taking an IR of their reverb. It might get you close enough. I think legality will only be a problem if you try to sell them off and make money from them.

woggle wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:08 am aah - Pristine space is good but Waves IR is not bad either - exactly the same sound.
not true...
Pristine space got cca 30 db lower noisefloor than Waves IR when tested...also the sound is a bit different

even for todays convo plugins its hard to top old PS, quality-wise

kvaca wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:59 pm
woggle wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:08 am aah - Pristine space is good but Waves IR is not bad either - exactly the same sound.
not true...
Pristine space got cca 30 db lower noisefloor than Waves IR when tested...also the sound is a bit different

Amazing, do you have a link to the tests?

woggle wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:48 pm
not true...

no, it was my private test long time ago/cca 10 years/, when I was testing all convo plugins available against new Melda one /which was still in beta/...guess the winner :wink:
but dirac test is super easy and you definitely should do it yourself, before posting bold statements on forums like this..

btw- Is Waves IR still limited to 6 sec max IRs length like it was when I did my testing? It was for me even bigger handicap than its quality...Just curious.

kvaca wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 pm
woggle wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:48 pm
not true...

no, it was my private test long time ago/cca 10 years/, when I was testing all convo plugins available against new Melda one /which was still in beta/...guess the winner :wink:
but dirac test is super easy and you definitely should do it yourself, before posting bold statements on forums like this..

btw- Is Waves IR still limited to 6 sec max IRs length like it was when I did my testing? It was for me even bigger handicap than its quality...Just curious.
yeah I'd need some better evidence than some random off the net - your claim is not consistent with my experience nor does it make a lot of sense on the face of it given that convolution is a simple process where adding noise to the extent you claim would only occur with a significant programming error

oh and f**k your arrogance

kvaca wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 pmbtw- Is Waves IR still limited to 6 sec max IRs length like it was when I did my testing?
Yeah :(
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Return to “Effects”