Which host can do this?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All I want to do is drag and drop a midi part from the arrange window into a side bar where I can drag it back into the arrange window later.

It's a little like session view, but only for arranging parts.

Which DAW/Host can do this? I am even open separate plugins.

8)
This isn't what you think.

Simply duplicate the track and copy back later.

Or am I missing something?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Protools have playlist side bar for midi and audio. Which ı think is great.
And you do not need to drag and drop. As soon as you create/record a midi or audio, it is in the playlist. and you can drag from that list to anywhere on the arrange page.

Studio One. You can do this with MIDI parts, audio, song loops, anything that will go on the timeline.

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

MuTools' MuLab's Browser lets you drag'n'drop all sorts of things.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:47 pm Simply duplicate the track and copy back later.

Yes. It's for arrangement order, if I do that we'll essentially have all the parts on the track duplicated.

Just image sesssion / clips but you but in Cubase's Media Bay.

Thanks though.

skank wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:54 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:47 pm Simply duplicate the track and copy back later.

Yes. It's for arrangement order, if I do that we'll essentially have all the parts on the track duplicated.

Just image sesssion / clips but you but in Cubase's Media Bay.

Thanks though.
Got it, thanks.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

xbitz wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:37 pm Cubase also knows it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j7KCzEy3EU
Thnx but not quite it, I just want to whlst programming be able to drag drop parts into the media bay as well.

Both ways.

andypryce wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:09 pm Protools have playlist side bar for midi and audio. Which ı think is great.
And you do not need to drag and drop. As soon as you create/record a midi or audio, it is in the playlist. and you can drag from that list to anywhere on the arrange page.
Is this what you meant?

Any more info on it (especially video would be great, I'd like to be sure it's what I need.

Just to mention again I need to create parts, drag them somewhere, and be able to drag them back at will to any instrument track.

garryknight wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:28 pm Studio One. You can do this with MIDI parts, audio, song loops, anything that will go on the timeline.
Can you please clarify how?

skank wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:14 pm
andypryce wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:09 pm Protools have playlist side bar for midi and audio. Which ı think is great.
Is this what you meant?

Any more info on it (especially video would be great, I'd like to be sure it's what I need.

Just to mention again I need to create parts, drag them somewhere, and be able to drag them back at will to any instrument track.
The 'DAW that must not be named' also has something that works similarly (project bay) - as soon as a track has content it appears there and you can drag out into other tracks to create new instances.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is this what you meant?

Yes but one step less.
You do not have to drag midi parts from the arrangement to the playlist. If a midi is on the arrangement it is also on the playlist already. So you can take it from the playlist and drag it back to any instrument at any bar you like

I just captured the screen so no sound but you will get the idea.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wy7l3sf9g2ksg ... d.mov?dl=0

BTW even if you delete it from the arrangement it stays in the playlist.

garryknight wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:28 pm Studio One. You can do this with MIDI parts, audio, song loops, anything that will go on the timeline.
Can you please clarify how?
I’m not at my PC right now, but you open the Browser, go to Files, find the folder in the file tree where you want to copy stuff, and just click and drag. For some operations you’d need to hold down the Alt (Opt) key while dragging, but I don’t remember which, off the top of my head. If it’s a folder you often copy stuff in and out of, you can add the folder as a tab header in the Browser window for quick access. I have one called ‘Scratch’ just for this purpose.

Ask if you have more questions, and I can check the manual later on.

In Bitwig, you can have the clip launcher open at the same time as arranger. So you could drag clips over to the clip launcher for storage as it were.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”