What Wavetable VST is closest in functionality to a Virus TI and which go beyond it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I keep getting the itch to buy a Virus TI now I can afford one. Back in the day when it first came out it seemed way ahead of any VSTs of the time, I would assume that was now no longer the case and would like some idea of where it now stands so to speak.

Arcvidean.

Astrologers proclaim the week of Virus threads at KVR :)

If we speak about the wavetable functionality, most modern wavetable VSTi go far beyond Virus. It can't import, create of edit wavetables, it has much less waveatble effects compared to the huge list of warp modes in Serum. The power of Virus is that it's more than the sum of its parts, when these wavetables are processed by Virus filters, effects, unison, FMed, mixed with a its VA or hypersaw oscillators you get that Virus sound.

So basically, it's not about the features (which may look not that impressive compared to modern wavetable VSTis), it's about the sound.

Viper is a very accurate emulation of Virus VA part but I don't think there is a VSTi which can emulate all wavetable-based sounds of Virus, even with the original Virus wavetables.

I use Parawave Rapid when I need Virus-esque wavetable sounds outside of Virus (which I also have). It can load wavetables, so you can import that free 'Virus WT for Serum" pack into it. It also has that "formant shift" oscillator effect, which can sound similar to "formant complex" mode in Virus TI2/Snow, also its filters and some of the effects somewhat remind me of Virus. Not that it can 100% accurately replicate actual Virus wavetable patches but overall it's somewhere in the same ballpark .
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

People always say Spire comes the closest to the Virus sound (even has an 'infecto' filter which is clearly a nod to the Virus). I have Spire but I don't have a Virus so I can't say .. but Spire indeed sounds great!

I got the itch for a Virus a while ago and I ended up with a Snow. It’s a great synth, but after a month it it, back on eBay it went. The truth is, I found the sound I was getting from Dune 2 to be a bit better, especially the filters. Now with v3, with it’s dual filters and analog models, it’s no contest. The only things it didn’t do is the graintable and formant table effects.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

recursive one wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:56 pm Astrologers proclaim the week of Virus threads at KVR :)

If we speak about the wavetable functionality, most modern wavetable VSTi go far beyond Virus. It can't import, create of edit wavetables, it has much less waveatble effects compared to the huge list of warp modes in Serum. The power of Virus is that it's more than the sum of its parts, when these wavetables are processed by Virus filters, effects, unison, FMed, mixed with a its VA or hypersaw oscillators you get that Virus sound.

So basically, it's not about the features (which may look not that impressive compared to modern wavetable VSTis), it's about the sound.

Viper is a very accurate emulation of Virus VA part but I don't think there is a VSTi which can emulate all wavetable-based sounds of Virus, even with the original Virus wavetables.

I use Parawave Rapid when I need Virus-esque wavetable sounds outside of Virus (which I also have). It can load wavetables, so you can import that free 'Virus WT for Serum" pack into it. It also has that "formant shift" oscillator effect, which can sound similar to "formant complex" mode in Virus TI2/Snow, also its filters and some of the effects somewhat remind me of Virus. Not that it can 100% accurately replicate actual Virus wavetable patches but overall it's somewhere in the same ballpark .
Oh yeah, I forgot about the free Virus wavetables. I have them loaded up in Icarus.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

It isn't really the sound of the Virus I'm interested in, more what you can and can't do with it compared to other alternatives. When it first came out you could do things with a TI that it was difficult to find in other synths. The sound of the Virus's I interacted with (at the end of the 2000s but didn't own) didn't strike me as remarkable though there was nothing wrong with it but it was doing things difficult to achieve with VSTs at the time. I'm just still wondering if it's worth getting one now I can afford one.

Arcvidean

Arcvidean wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:22 pm I keep getting the itch to buy a Virus TI now I can afford one. Back in the day when it first came out it seemed way ahead of any VSTs of the time, I would assume that was now no longer the case and would like some idea of where it now stands so to speak.

Arcvidean.
There is thing called search and there was just recently (like few days ago) created a topic similar to this where you will get all of your answers

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=518252

recursive one wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:56 pm Astrologers proclaim the week of Virus threads at KVR :)

Sorry but you could save yourself time and just link to the few days topic about the same case and not encourage people being lazy trashing the forum because when you actually need something to find you have to dig up thro multiple threads to find exactly what you need, wich is a time waste aswel ;)

Sorry if I offended people but that particular thread was about a replacement for the sound of the Virus not whether VST functionality had gone beyond the TI. I was looking for a different perspective in this thread. If you read the title it says FUNCTIONALITY not SOUND.

Arcvidean.

Arcvidean wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:01 am Sorry if I offended people but that thread was about a replacement for the sound of the Virus not whether VST functionality had gone beyond the TI. I was looking for a different perspective in this thread. Is there really any need to be so nasty?

Arcvidean.
Well thats not what your thread question and describtion said...
What Wavetable VST is closest in functionality to a Virus TI and which go beyond it?
If you would read what is written in the thread few days ago, there are actually more then enough hints already ;)

But to make it simple, actually pretty much any Wavetable syth matches and even surpasses virus in possibilities. Dune 3, Serum, Spire, Hive 1.2, even older synths like Massive, Zebra matches possibilities.

Spire most certainly does not as it does not have Wavetable capability. I don't think you understand the question.

Arcvidean.

Arcvidean wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:10 am Spire most certainly does not as it does not have Wavetable capability. I don't think you understand the question.

Arcvidean.
Spire most certainly does have wavetable capability. I dont think you know what you are asking yourself then or demo the tools properly :)

Spire does not scan Wavetables which the Virus TI does. It is reputed to sound like a Virus but I've already said I am interested in the functionality of the TI not the sound, and Spire's functionality is way below that of the TI . Are you just going to be unpleasant all day or are you going to find something more worthwhile to do.

Arcvidean.

Arcvidean wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:19 am Spire does not scan Wavetables which the Virus TI does. It is reputed to sound like a Virus but I've already said I am interested in the functionality of the TI not the sound, and Spire's functionality is way below that of the TI . Are you just going to be unpleasant all day or are you going to find something more worthwhile to do.

Arcvidean.
Taken from the manual
In this mode, you can crossfade between a saw and a square waveform (the square can have its
pulse width adjusted) and mix this with the wavetable waveforms.
When you put it like that, indeed it doesnt have scanning but it does offer wavetable capabilities. Tho combined with other osc modes wt in Spire still can be very powerful. :)

Arcvidean wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:29 am I'm just still wondering if it's worth getting one now I can afford one.
Only you can decide. If
Arcvidean wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:29 am The sound of the Virus's ... didn't strike me as remarkable
then most probably not.

Watch as many walkthough videos and listen to as many sound demos as you can find. But you are looking for an advanced wavetable synth then Virus is not what you want. It has some cool tricks up it's sleeve, but in terms of the functionality software synths like Serum or Icarus win hands down.
Elektronisch wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:48 am Sorry but you could save yourself time and just link to the few days topic about the same case and not encourage people being lazy trashing the forum because when you actually need something to find you have to dig up thro multiple threads to find exactly what you need, wich is a time waste aswel ;)
More Virus threads, more talk, more interest to existing Virus emulations ... I mean the one and only actual Virus emulation :wink: (even though it's not actually very relevant to this specific thread)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”