Bitwig Studio 3

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bitwig Studio 3 is coming. Looks like they're really taking the proverbial 'modular ball' and running with it!

https://www.bitwig.com/en/19/bitwig-studio-3.html
Always Read the Manual!

Well they still haven't delivered on all their promises they made when they first announced Bitwig. Where is the online stuff? And it has taken them up to version 3 to even get the modular stuff implemented. We'll have to see if it's even close to as powerful as Max4live.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm Well they still haven't delivered on all their promises they made when they first announced Bitwig. Where is the online stuff? And it has taken them up to version 3 to even get the modular stuff implemented. We'll have to see if it's even close to as powerful as Max4live.
See. The trolls will never be happy. The modular finally comes out and it's "well they still haven't released everything they said they would!" Get outta here. It probably won't be because Max has been around for years. Why would you expect the first iteration to be as powerful?

v1o wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm Well they still haven't delivered on all their promises they made when they first announced Bitwig. Where is the online stuff? And it has taken them up to version 3 to even get the modular stuff implemented. We'll have to see if it's even close to as powerful as Max4live.
Yep, the online collaboration piece was a big selling point for me, and it was promised for 2.x before it was retracted from the website. I see that they have added it back but without an implementation date...

AFAIK, all the native devices are built using the modular innards, so it has great potential. We'll see.

Yeh, and after 5 years of being the number 1 request, Ableton still couldn't deliver in-clip editing :dog:

This is an amazing update after all the other really cool (not promised or advertised) updates we have already had like CV out, intelligent pop up browser, hardware sync....its a massive list since V1 and I am still in my years free updates so I get V3 (I didn't even bother to pay the ridiculous update fee for Live 9 suite to Live 10 suite, pathetic compared to the updates I have had from BWS V2 - V3 for 120 bucks!)

Live with the clunky max bolt on is absolutely no competition for a truly integrated solution with the unified modulation platform....Bitwig has left Live in its tracks (so to speak) and I also have Live Suite....although it will probably stay at 9 now forever….
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

neverbeeninariot wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:20 pm
Yep, the online collaboration piece was a big selling point for me, and it was promised for 2.x before it was retracted from the website. I see that they have added it back but without an implementation date...

AFAIK, all the native devices are built using the modular innards, so it has great potential. We'll see.
Seriously- what is the hang up on version numbers? V2.9 or V3 - what does it matter? They could have just called this 2.6 and we would still be on target! It took Ableton five years to get from V9 to V10 so on that scale we have about 3 more years :wink:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

So, what would you guys think is a fair price to ask for Live 10 Suite?

I think I'm good with Bitwig 3, Studio One 4 and Reason 10 :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Yup- I don't think I will hang on to my copy of Live anymore either, I think I just kept it as I have been with Ableton since V5....but then I guess the Bigwig team are some of those guys anyway :ud:

Coincidently I am also predominantly Bitwig and Studio One 4 (was once Live and Cubase so I have moved with both the upostart teams :wink: )

SLiC wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:33 pm Seriously- what is the hang up on version numbers? V2.9 or V3 - what does it matter? They could have just called this 2.6 and we would still be on target! It took Ableton five years to get from V9 to V10 so on that scale we have about 3 more years :wink:
I agree that version number doesn't matter now, since Bitwig is in subscription mode. I guess it is just a marketing strategy to attract new customers. But yes - this is BIG news.
Fernando (FMR)

SLiC wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:30 pm

its a massive list since V1 and I am still in my years free updates so I get V3 (I didn't even bother to pay the ridiculous update fee for Live 9 suite to Live 10 suite, pathetic compared to the updates I have had from BWS V2 - V3 for 120 bucks!)

I also have Live Suite....although it will probably stay at 9 now forever….
I feel pretty much the same...I have been using Live since V4 and paid for a lot of upgrades over the years but the move from 9 suite to 10 suite at AU$419 is not even slightly tempting as I can buy into Bitwig from scratch for just 10 bucks more with a full year of updates. Compared to pretty much all my other DAWs, the Live upgrade price is insane...I may just buy into Bitwig this time :tu:

fmr wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:53 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:33 pm Seriously- what is the hang up on version numbers? V2.9 or V3 - what does it matter? They could have just called this 2.6 and we would still be on target! It took Ableton five years to get from V9 to V10 so on that scale we have about 3 more years :wink:
I agree that version number doesn't matter now, since Bitwig is in subscription mode. I guess it is just a marketing strategy to attract new customers. But yes - this is BIG news.
One thing is for sure a V1 to V3 upgrade for $120 bucks or so (if you shop around) is looking like great value, especially when you consider you will also get 3-4 major updates after that for free...

Its almost feels like we had to get the open modular system 'out of the way', I can only imagen what they will do after that when you consider they have added pretty major features every 3-4 months so far....

v1o wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pmWe'll have to see if it's even close to as powerful as Max4live.
Not a chance it will be as powerful as M4L... and I hope it isn't!

But because it is integrated and already functioning in the background... it will be more stable, use less CPU and be far more user friendly.

In the years I used Live, I never once touched the insides of M4L. Far to complex and difficult to learn. I eventually stopped using M4L devices altogether because it crashed too often. Live was really solid when I didn't use M4L.

The Bitwig grid I'll actually be able to make some use of.

Looks awesome

Bitwig is killing it. Awesome.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”