AudioThing Type A - Vintage Enhancer Plugin - Update v1.2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sqigls wrote:0x, 2x, 4x,8x and 16x oversampling modes all report 0ms latency in Ableton Live 9
Gratzi.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Local Man wrote:Thanks for the reply and thanks for the excellent plugins!
I ended up going with Type A and Speaker. These are the kind of plugins I love because they are not about fixing problems or other clinical tasks, they are about adding a unique kind of charm to the signal that really makes a mix come alive.
Your plugin collection is more extensive than I realized so I had to use some self control to not spend any more money that I don't have. That said, and as a testament to your work, this is the first time I was actually compelled to use one of the plugin collective coupons to actually buy something. (I don't mean to sound like a cheapskate but as a father of two small children it is somewhat irresponsible of me to spend any significant money on myself. I only say that because I don't want to imply that plugins aren't worth paying for like some around here do.)
Thank you! As a father myself I completely understand the feeling :)
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

zerocrossing wrote:Quick question. Does this plugin add any latency or will it work well in a real time situation?
As Simon replied, no latency, although the oversample needs some improvements. I've included it even though it's not really necessary for this kind of effect.

Update v1.1
We've updated Type A to version 1.1!
You can download the update from your user area.

Price:
As announced last year, we are raising the price of some of our products.
New price: $/€ 59 (VAT inc).

Changelog:
  • Added: Online Authorization Form
  • Improved: Oversampler
  • Improved: Noise profile
  • Improved: Support for Retina/HiDPI displays
  • Improved: Dropdown panel stays open/closed as selected by the user
  • Fixed: Wavelab/Cubase random rendering bug
  • Fixed: MAC with High Sierra (APFS) presets scrambled
  • Fixed: Bypass noise in Pro Tools
Please note: this update is 64bit only! We have dropped support for 32bit and older operating systems.
New minimum requirements: Windows 7 and OS X 10.7.
Last edited by audiothing on Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

audiothing wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:23 pm [*]Improved: Oversampler
[*]Improved: Noise profile[/list]
Can you explain what these improvements mean exactly (was oversampling broken before)?.

Thanks for the update :) No problem with 64-bit only!

MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:29 pm
audiothing wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:23 pm [*]Improved: Oversampler
[*]Improved: Noise profile[/list]
Can you explain what these improvements mean exactly (was oversampling broken before)?.

Also curious to some more of the nitty-gritty details.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:29 pm Can you explain what these improvements mean exactly (was oversampling broken before)?.

The oversampler was not linear phase (but was not introducing latency). Now it's linear phase with some latency introduced (depending on the settings used). However, for this kind of effect the oversampler shouldn't really be necessary, I decided to add it because most people might expect it :)

This plugin got me interested.

I use a lot Aural Exciter as send for mastering my own stuff and for remastering songs i have no stems too but i recently read that aural exciter could) saturate/add harmonics which is sometimes not wished while remastering and trying to enhance but not alter the harmonics of a song.

Might type a be a better solution?
With which plugins could it be compared?

With all te exciters/enhancers/saturators i dont know anymore what to believe and tests for some saturators were very different. Thx
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:39 amthat aural exciter could saturate/add harmonics
Erm...it is an exciter, of course it adds harmonics.

That´s what bloody exciters do, son.

Caine123 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:39 am This plugin got me interested.

I use a lot Aural Exciter as send for mastering my own stuff and for remastering songs i have no stems too but i recently read that aural exciter could) saturate/add harmonics which is sometimes not wished while remastering and trying to enhance but not alter the harmonics of a song.

Might type a be a better solution?
With which plugins could it be compared?

With all te exciters/enhancers/saturators i dont know anymore what to believe and tests for some saturators were very different. Thx
Exciters usually have a distortion/saturation unit paired with a High Pass filter. They were mostly used with tape recordings, trying to recreate the missing high frequencies lost due to tape.

Type A instead doesn't introduce any distortion (unless, of course, you push the input too much), and it's based on the early noise reduction units that were used to limit the amount of noise generated by tape. Type A recreates the encoding stage only so that the high frequencies get dynamically emphasised.

So, the key elements are two:
  • exciters introduce new harmonic content while Type A doesn't
  • exciters are mostly static while Type A is dynamic
You can read more about it on our blog:
[...]in the encoding stage, the input signal is split into 4 bands (with the highest bands overlapping), dynamically compressed and then summed back with the dry signal.
The amount of compression on each band is inversely proportional to the volume of the band. Quieter sounds get brighter while louder sounds remain almost unchanged.
- https://www.audiothing.net/blog/the-dolby-a-trick/

To answer your questions:
Might Type A be a better solution? Totally depends on the kind of sound you want. Personally, I associate exciters with the sounds of the 80s. While Type A, although it's emulating a vintage technique, is still sounding modern/fresh to my ears.

With which plugins could it be compared? There are a few other "Dolby Trick" plugins on the market. You may also think of it as a combination of a multi-band compression and a dynamic EQ.

Update v1.2
We've updated Type A to version 1.2!
You can download the update from your user area.

Changelog:
  • Added: macOS 10.15 Catalina support
  • Added: Parameter Lock
  • Added: Edit Value option for Knobs
  • Added: Notification System
  • Added: Internal support for left-hand mouse users
  • Improved: Compressor initialising on host reset
  • Fixed: Oversample random crashes
  • Fixed: VST3 UI issue on Windows with scaling over 100%

Return to “Effects”