The best Impulse Response [IR] sites

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

arseniy2 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:07 pm I am not sure what do you mean. If it's like a saw wave or a single note of a synth then this is not what I said. Because saw wave or a single note is not corresponding to notes frequencies. It is corresponding to harmonics of a note. I need frequencies of all of the notes "C, C#, D, D# etc.", not harmonics of a note. Google for - notes frequency chart - this is those frequencies response I am talking about.
What are you trying to achieve? Convolution doesn't work that way, AFAIK.
Fernando (FMR)

arseniy2 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:07 pm I am not sure what do you mean. If it's like a saw wave or a single note of a synth then this is not what I said. Because saw wave or a single note is not corresponding to notes frequencies. It is corresponding to harmonics of a note. I need frequencies of all of the notes "C, C#, D, D# etc.", not harmonics of a note. Google for - notes frequency chart - this is those frequencies response I am talking about.
I'm pretty much aware of note names, their pitches, etc.
But I'm afraid that what you want isn't possible then. I mean, sure, you could put together a stack of notes and then load the resulting bounce into an IR loader - but all you'd get is the response of all notes at once.
It would possibly work with a frequency based input filter thing, but I'm not sure something like that even exists. And it'd only work for monophonic material by the nature such a filter would have.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

But fwiw, in case your music is centered around one key, try to load a longer impulse of the keys root note (ideally using a somewhat "interesting" sound) into your IR loader. Very interesting sounds to get that way.

Sascha Franck wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:21 pm
But I'm afraid that what you want isn't possible then. I mean, sure, you could put together a stack of notes and then load the resulting bounce into an IR loader - but all you'd get is the response of all notes at once.
It would possibly work with a frequency based input filter thing, but I'm not sure something like that even exists. And it'd only work for monophonic material by the nature such a filter would have.
Please see my attached IR example in the original post. It works. Not perfect but it does.
fmr wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:50 pm
I am not trying to use it as a reverb or ambience. It's rather like resonator/colorizer. It also works a bit like sound dispersion.
woggle wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:15 pm wouldn't that just be a stack of sines 65.41Hz, 69.3Hz and so on? That then becomes your IR

The amplitude will be inconsistent because the signal stack is a bunch of sines which is a complex signal with lots of beat frequencies and the amplitude all over the place. You could see that easily enough as a wveform in your DAW If you want a sustained effect you will have to do them as individual sine IRs and then mix the result
A stack of tuned comb filters might be the way to do it - chromatic resonators
Yes exactly. But it's easy to say and appeared to be not easy to make. There should be some trick how to fade in/out the sines so they would be as short as possible. So I thought maybe somewhere it was done already. Good idea about chromatic comb filter, but I never heard of such. If someone knows such VST please PM me.

P.S
[UPDATE]
I attach example of what this kind of IR can sound like. First goes dry white noise, then it goes through IR type 1, then through type 2, then through both.
You can hear that type 2 sounds especially noticeable that those are like notes pressed all at once.
Then goes synth sound the same way. [DRY][dry+type 1][dry+type 2][dry+type 1+type 2]

So maybe now it is more clear why I say this thing is rather for digital synth stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by arseniy2 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Subscribe me. I need folowers.
SoundCloud / Youtube / some music

arseniy2 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:21 pm
I am not trying to use it as a reverb or ambience. It's rather like resonator/colorizer.
Even so. To use the impulse as a resonator, you don't need (nor am I sure it would be even useful) to use an impulse for each key. I would pick several impulses, and try each one in several notes across seral octaves, to check which one gives the best result overall.

The way you are trying to do things, you will end up with very uneven and unbalanced results, IMO.
Fernando (FMR)

I tried your IR, @arseniy2. Doesn't do much that couldn't be done with other things, IMO. Yeah, it does add a little kinda resonating thing, but I'm not sure what I'd use that for.

Fwiw, here's something I recorded for "demonstrational purposes" a whole while ago. Apart from the silly tom loop, all you hear is one track played live. The guitar is running through an IR that is nothing but an overdriven A5 chord.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kph8c4cx5cw6 ... R.mp3?dl=1

Prime Sonic Space Vol.2 is currently on Sale.

Prime Sonic Space Vol.2 is a collection of 220+ modern and vintage hardware reverbs and acoustic spaces.

ONE of the largest HQ Impulse Response collections available (all 24-32 bit).

World renowned IR library for exotic and unique Impulse Responses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo7ruRw ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by PatchAdamz on Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wtf is going on here...somebody tag Acidose to this thread to make sense of it lol
arseniy2 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:21 pm
Sascha Franck wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:21 pm
Please see my attached IR example in the original post. It works. Not perfect but it does.
fmr wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:50 pm
I am not trying to use it as a reverb or ambience. It's rather like resonator/colorizer. It also works a bit like sound dispersion.
woggle wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:15 pm wouldn't that just be a stack of sines 65.41Hz, 69.3Hz and so on? That then becomes your IR

The amplitude will be inconsistent because the signal stack is a bunch of sines which is a complex signal with lots of beat frequencies and the amplitude all over the place. You could see that easily enough as a wveform in your DAW If you want a sustained effect you will have to do them as individual sine IRs and then mix the result
A stack of tuned comb filters might be the way to do it - chromatic resonators
Yes exactly. But it's easy to say and appeared to be not easy to make. There should be some trick how to fade in/out the sines so they would be as short as possible. So I thought maybe somewhere it was done already. Good idea about chromatic comb filter, but I never heard of such. If someone knows such VST please PM me.

P.S
[UPDATE]
I attach example of what this kind of IR can sound like. First goes dry white noise, then it goes through IR type 1, then through type 2, then through both.
You can hear that type 2 sounds especially noticeable that those are like notes pressed all at once.
Then goes synth sound the same way. [DRY][dry+type 1][dry+type 2][dry+type 1+type 2]

So maybe now it is more clear why I say this thing is rather for digital synth stuff.

what's the difference in a mix verses regular reverb ?

ir samples use a ton of memory too imo

Dune2supersaw wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:51 am what's the difference in a mix verses regular reverb ?
- You can use "real" rooms as your reverb.
- You can use pretty weird IRs, offering results not much reverb units would deliver.
- You can kind of create your own reverb "algorithms" by manipulating IRs. Or by recording your own. Like the very sound of your very bathroom? Fine, just capture an IR from it.
ir samples use a ton of memory too imo
Nah, not really. In these days, RAM usage can be considered pretty much a non issue.

Apart from all that, IRs can be used for all kinds of different things, using them as speaker simulations probably being the most popular one.
I also like them for drums, you can for example kind of superimpose the resonance of, say, a tom over a snare which might be too thin. I often find this to be more organic than drum replacing.
Last edited by Sascha Franck on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Some great IR's in here. Amazing resource!

Sascha Franck wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:04 am

Apart from all that, IRs can be used for all kinds of different things, using them as speaker simulations probably being the most popular one.
I also like them for drums, you can for example kind of superimpose the resonance of, say, a tom over a snare which might be too thin. I often find this to be more organic than drum replacing.
Also, acoustic guitar body IRs are great for adding some resonance to DI recorded acoustic guitars, or even a bit to electrics, to give a kind of hollow-body feel. Some free ones in this thread;

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... -body.html

If you're feeling adventurous you can get a nice mandolin emulation by using a capo on a 12 string acoustic at about the 7th fret, recording it DI then putting it through one of the mandolin ones. Stonehenge...!

3Sigma Audio also do a range which are quite cheap and offer a lot of variations of IRs of individual high end guitars.

Dune2supersaw wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:51 am ir samples use a ton of memory too imo
The one I use, VSL Hybrid Reverb's folder for impulses has a whopping 12.5MB
Their regular Convolution Reverb has 36MB worth. 36 of them.

You can put anything in it, but I'm using it as 'regular reverb' because of its sound.

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:45 am Also, acoustic guitar body IRs are great for adding some resonance to DI recorded acoustic guitars, or even a bit to electrics, to give a kind of hollow-body feel. Some free ones in this thread;

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... -body.html

If you're feeling adventurous you can get a nice mandolin emulation by using a capo on a 12 string acoustic at about the 7th fret, recording it DI then putting it through one of the mandolin ones. Stonehenge...!

3Sigma Audio also do a range which are quite cheap and offer a lot of variations of IRs of individual high end guitars.
Yeah, I use acoustic guitar IRs a lot to get some jazz box sounds out of a solid body, sometimes slightly mixed in, sometimes even parallel to some cab IRs (I know, it's not what they're meant to be used like, but who cares...).

For me, IRs are almost a godsend. Well, in fact, they have been for over a decade by now already as I already recorded my "traditional" amp setup via DI (from the speaker out, using the speaker just as a load and for monitoring) ever since IR loaders and cab IRs got decent.

Return to “Effects”