Developing with the Bitwig Controller API - Video Tutorial available

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Many people asked for it! And here we go, first part is online:

https://youtu.be/l4AuiQ8krQc

Killer. Thanks, dude!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Great videos! Thank you very much for creating these! :)

One minor issue; around 3:35 in Part II you state that the Controller Scripts and Extensions directories can be found in ~/Bitwig Studio/ on the Mac. This is incorrect; they’re actually in ~/Documents/Bitwig Studio/

tvdv wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:01 pm One minor issue; around 3:35 in Part II you state that the Controller Scripts and Extensions directories can be found in ~/Bitwig Studio/ on the Mac. This is incorrect; they’re actually in ~/Documents/Bitwig Studio/
Yes, you are right! Will mention it in the next part.

Really cool :tu: :tu: :tu:

Part III is online! All about MIDI:

https://youtu.be/hseQpTtyvFM

On to Part 4: Controlling the Transport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGBCxqseoWo

Hi moss,

I also enjoy watching your videos, even though your series literally started just a few days too late for sparing me of figuring most of this stuff out the hard way ;) Great stuff.

Just out of interest, any particular reason why you keep using "var" instead of "let" (like everybody seems to)?
Is the bitwig api not consistent with the version of the nashorn library?

w.

deadReactor wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:35 pm Hi moss,

I also enjoy watching your videos, even though your series literally started just a few days too late for sparing me of figuring most of this stuff out the hard way ;) Great stuff.

Just out of interest, any particular reason why you keep using "var" instead of "let" (like everybody seems to)?

w.
Good question. I guess I am just old-school :-)

deadReactor wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:35 pmJust out of interest, any particular reason why you keep using "var" instead of "let" (like everybody seems to)?
Nashorn is only a slow implementation of ES5.1, so no block-level variables (EDIT: wrong, let does work), fat arrows or other current goodies. Even worse, Nashorn itself has been flagged for deprecation. I desperately hope Bitwig won't drop JS controller scripts support anytime soon.
Last edited by BufoBufo on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

BufoBufo wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:19 pm Nashorn is only a slow implementation of ES5.1, so no block-level variables, fat arrows or other current goodies. Even worse, Nashorn itself has been flagged for deprecation. I desperately hope Bitwig won't drop JS controller scripts support anytime soon.
I figured that const and let came around the same time and const is used all over the place in scripts. I think both were part of es5. Let definitely works in my scripts, didn't test if the implementation is correct though.
Edit: My bad it actually was part of es6.

@deprecation, I also noticed, but it seems like graalvm could be a drop in replacement.
Last edited by deadReactor on Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadReactor wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:45 pmI figured that const and let came around the same time and const is used all over the place in scripts. I think both were part of es5. Let definitely works in my scripts, didn't test if the implementation is correct though.
You're right, const & let do work despite being ES6 features. Dunno if they didn't work from the start, or if I just cut out both in favor of writing clean ES5 that can be eslinted using a regular ES5 profile, instead of using an ES6 profile for linting when the Nashorn runtime is far from ES6-compatible.

Return to “Controller Scripting”