Native Instruments Massive X Synth - Sequel to Massive (Out Now!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X X-Squared For Massive X

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:01 pm Well, what can I say? I just loaded media bay (F5) and my eyes glazed over. I can't be bothered looking at all that.

So yeah, I'll stay on the country lane. And no, my life isn't harder. Legend works just fine.

I do not use Cubase, so i cannot comment to this.
I even gone so far that i almost only use DAW presets for everything now since i anyway use mainly layers of instruments and FX. I cannot imagine a much more worse preset browser as clicking trough Reaktor :D
I even wonder why these days we still see not more DAW specific preset packs instead of synth preset banks.
But the main downside for me still is the cpu usage. While Reaktor offer some amazing things and so i cannot go far on my machine with it (which is of course my problem only maybe).
In general i also use now mainly stock synths from the DAW which can emulate even 90% of the Minimoog sounds as good as all these emulations while i can run 100+ instances where i max out at 6-8 with other options. For specific sounds these emulations are great but in most cases it is a waste of cpu cycles.
Just some time ago someone proved we wrong and he recreated some Minimoog sound with a stock synth and in some cases i find it even sound better.
Brings me back to Massive X since i hope this will be an unusual synth i cannot emulate easy with my stock tools.

Cinebient wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:24 pm But the main downside for me still is the cpu usage. While Reaktor offer some amazing things and so i cannot go far on my machine with it (which is of course my problem only maybe).
In general i also use now mainly stock synths from the DAW which can emulate even 90% of the Minimoog sounds as good as all these emulations while i can run 100+ instances where i max out at 6-8 with other options.
I don't need 100+ instances but I sometimes wonder about this cpu usage thing.
I see people complaining about cpu usage and then invest tons of time to circumvent it via software solutions (looking for vst, presets, whatever that don't require much cpu)
Why not invest less time to work for a good cpu/motherboard/memory?

Now, i've always had a good computer and always worked with applications (Photoshop, ...) that require a lot of power. Still I rather save up for a good compu which you can use for music, photography, and so much more than losing ( imo so much more) time trying to solve a hardware issue in software.
Just saying...

I hope they add some of Massive X to Blocks.

Stefken wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:40 pm
Cinebient wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:24 pm But the main downside for me still is the cpu usage. While Reaktor offer some amazing things and so i cannot go far on my machine with it (which is of course my problem only maybe).
In general i also use now mainly stock synths from the DAW which can emulate even 90% of the Minimoog sounds as good as all these emulations while i can run 100+ instances where i max out at 6-8 with other options.
I see people complaining about cpu usage and then invest tons of time to circumvent it via software solutions (looking for vst, presets, whatever that don't require much cpu)

Now, i've always had a good computer and always worked with applications (Photoshop, ...) that require a lot of power. Still I rather save up for a good compu which you can use for music, photography, and so much more than losing ( imo so much more) time trying to solve a hardware issue in software.
Just saying...
Sure but if i get same results with much less CPU usage and have still tons of headroom for adding more, why should i do not use it.
As it already is proven often enough 99% of listeners and even pro musicians could not say if a sound within a mix was a free software, cheap app, expensive plug-in or an analog hardware.
I think it just matters for the musician and how he/she gets inspired by the workflow and feel of the instrument and also maybe if you use it alone without any other tools or FX etc.
So i hope i feel inspired by Massive X, that´s it!

Stefken wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:40 pm

Just saying...
You're making assumptions that people AREN'T using powerful computers. I have one. I'm even running off two SSD drives. But CPU usage is still CPU usage. You can't fit 10 pounds of ham into a 5 pound bag. So I opt for using low CPU plugins when I can as long as I'm not sacrificing what I feel is my "minimum" sound quality needed for the track in question. I mean if I have a sound that's just a small part of a track and buried in the background and just about audible, I'm not going to use a synth and a patch that takes up 25% CPU. It makes no sense.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:44 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:04 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:48 pmI also wished that Reaktor would allow to load the last loaded ensemble on start up though. Or does it?
Yep.

Cinebient wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:51 pmSaving as a DAW patch and i also have just one click.

This is a better solution, though.

Wags, you're a Cubase user, yes? You can definitely do this. Save a VST preset in Media Bay for each of Reaktor ensembles you want to use, then it's really quick to load Reaktor with that specific ensemble right off the bat, from Media Bay...
Yeah, but then I have to use Media Bay which I never touch. I just don't like the whole concept. Granted, some people love it. Me? Not so much. I prefer the basic add instrument, audio, midi options. Media Bay is just too convoluted for me.
You can customize it. :wink:

https://youtu.be/Yg1NLKWCTw4
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:44 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:04 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:48 pmI also wished that Reaktor would allow to load the last loaded ensemble on start up though. Or does it?
Yep.

Cinebient wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:51 pmSaving as a DAW patch and i also have just one click.

This is a better solution, though.

Wags, you're a Cubase user, yes? You can definitely do this. Save a VST preset in Media Bay for each of Reaktor ensembles you want to use, then it's really quick to load Reaktor with that specific ensemble right off the bat, from Media Bay...
Yeah, but then I have to use Media Bay which I never touch. I just don't like the whole concept. Granted, some people love it. Me? Not so much. I prefer the basic add instrument, audio, midi options. Media Bay is just too convoluted for me.
You can customize it, to just show what you want. :wink:

https://youtu.be/Yg1NLKWCTw4
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Cinebient wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:24 pmI cannot imagine a much more worse preset browser as clicking trough Reaktor :D
That is pretty much why I never use Reaktor (have had it for years) and if Massive X had been a Reaktor synth I would have no interest.

It has become clear over time that I am just never gonna use Reaktor. I may as well uninstall it. I would have already except Native Access is too crappy to have a simple uninstall option.

If you're on Mac, there are no uninstallers. If you're on Windows, you can uninstall from control panel.

That said, you can try browsing through Komplete Kontrol. It's much faster than going through Reaktor itself - and you also get audio previews before loading a patch, which is damn neat. :)

why anyone would not use reaktor is beyond my imsginstin :o
yeah, for certain things there are indeed other choices.
but for so many things from the ul there is no other option. because some of those ensemble kreators are next level certifiable!

without reaktor, i think i might have gone on several "sprees" so its saved countless lives too :tu:

Speaking of CPU, the bass preset on the Massive X picture is using 33%.
Probably a single note, and a top notch computer. Just like when Massive was released :)
Eco, high, ultra.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

liv wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:43 pm Speaking of CPU, the bass preset on the Massive X picture is using 33%.
Probably a single note, and a top notch computer. Just like when Massive was released :)
Eco, high, ultra.
Uh... then i might prefer similar sound with a 3.3% usage....at 4 voices.
Next question would be for me if it can use multiple cores for one instance?
But maybe they market it as next level synth for quantum computers. :D

SJ_Digriz wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:22 am
zenophilix wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:17 am I thought you just disliked the Minmoog filters? Doesn't mean that they're objectively terrible.
Bones hates everything that sounds good.
Minimoog just doesn't lend to that GRRRRR ARRRGH stance like at all, apparently

jancivil wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:04 pm
SJ_Digriz wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:22 am
zenophilix wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:17 am I thought you just disliked the Minmoog filters? Doesn't mean that they're objectively terrible.
Bones hates everything that sounds good.
Minimoog just doesn't lend to that GRRRRR ARRRGH stance like at all, apparently
LMAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCLPHSVtvmU

;)

Return to “Instruments”