Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I saw those. It's part of the reason I was mulling over the Variax to begin with. The black one is tempting.
I still feel like I would want a "normal" guitar that I could change parts on easily.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gray-black
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ingerboard

The PRS in that price range are probably better playing guitars than the fender IMO. But the strat is more versatile. The other option is ibanez, they also have excellent price/performance if that's the tones you want.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... g570-black

Just more ideas ... cuz you know narrowing down guitars is a futile job LOL
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

My first instrument was bass and I mostly play Ibanez 4-strings but for some reason I don't really like their guitars.
That PRS looks pretty sweet for the price! Thanks for the suggestion!

On the plus side once you kind of hit around the $500 mark your chances are pretty good of getting a really good guitar even if it has to go get some setup love. Back in the day $500 would net you a 2x12 with strings nailed on.

The Variax standard is... Pretty damn standard. You can swap out the ceramic pups if you like. Also swap out the neck. It doesn't have much of a trem plate there isn't enough room so that can't be switched nor can the saddles.
Then again you can always do a transplant (routing at your own risk)

If you want to throw money around you can always do or have someone do a transplant. Transplants were all the rage about ten years back or more.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I decided to go with the Variax Standard. I'll be getting the Sunburst one. I'll let you all know how we get along. :)

awesome .. can't wait to hear your thoughts.

justin3am wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:26 pm I'll be getting the Sunburst one.
Acceptable choice. Not white.

justin3am wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:26 pm I decided to go with the Variax Standard. I'll be getting the Sunburst one. I'll let you all know how we get along. :)
Let's see how long it takes you to wonder what it sounds like if you use the tuning facility to have the 3 lowest strings all the same note, and the top 3 the same an octave higher.

It sounds f**king marvellous....

I think Lou Reed did something like that, and called it “Ostrich guitar” for some reason.
Sweet child in time...

Stephen Stills tunes Suite: Judy Blue Eyes to EEEEBE, or DDDDAD.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:14 am Stephen Stills tunes Suite: Judy Blue Eyes to EEEEBE, or DDDDAD.
That explains why I cold never figure that one out when I was a kid. Good way to
scratch up a guitar, playing like that. :D

I hadn't had a white guitar in decades. white was the obvious choice when I bought mine.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I had a white MiM Strat. It was rather blah. I was thinking of getting one of the XIIs as I mentioned here, but the only colour that was left was white, so I didn't even bother. On a Strat, I like a nice burst, or natural.
pekbro wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:59 am
Bombadil wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:14 am Stephen Stills tunes Suite: Judy Blue Eyes to EEEEBE, or DDDDAD.
That explains why I cold never figure that one out when I was a kid. Good way to
Some of these alternate tunings really make me scratch my head. Like, who comes up with these things? Jimmy Page's tuning for the Rain Song is another bit of obscure weirdness, yet when you hear the song, it's perfect. The only one I use with any regularity is Drop D. I was messing around with DADGAD for a while, which is neat, but...I've come to realize that, if I'm not quite getting the chord right, then there's a good possibility there's an alternate tuning happening.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:36 pm I had a white MiM Strat. It was rather blah. I was thinking of getting one of the XIIs as I mentioned here, but the only colour that was left was white, so I didn't even bother. On a Strat, I like a nice burst, or natural.
pekbro wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:59 am
Some of these alternate tunings really make me scratch my head. Like, who comes up with these things? Jimmy Page's tuning for the Rain Song is another bit of obscure weirdness, yet when you hear the song, it's perfect. The only one I use with any regularity is Drop D. I was messing around with DADGAD for a while, which is neat, but...I've come to realize that, if I'm not quite getting the chord right, then there's a good possibility there's an alternate tuning happening.
try dropping the the low A to a G, I did this little acoustic thingy years ago in DGDGAD
https://soundcloud.com/hink/accoustic
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”