Waldorf Blofeld issues

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
grabme
KVRist
182 posts since 9 Mar, 2010

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:18 am

Isobela wrote:Hi all, the Waldorf Blofeld is a nice little synth with great value, but....
I got mine some 3 months ago. Since then I have experienced each and every of the 'issues' and problems you can imagine.
Here is the (not exhaustive) list:
1. Imagine you are playing live and all of a sudden *all* your presets turn into the init preset (open filter, 1 oscillator), the kind of sound you use to tune your instruments. Is it a nighmare? yes, it happened to me. OS version 1.02 supposedly solved this problem. Nope.
2. Every once in a while the synth stops making sound and displays a message such as 'invalid wave data' or 'waiting for dsp'. You have to turn it off and on again.
3. If you are using USB for MIDI transmission you will face a lot of potential problems such as your system not recognizing the Blofeld sometimes, wich is really frustrating.
4. The Blofeld will not sync correctly to incoming MIDI Clock messages. That includes arpeggiator sync, delay sync, LFO sync, and so on. This is really bad because you simply cannot use all of its features when conected to your favourite host (cubase, etc.).
All of these issues have been posted in Waldorf forums, but (alas) most of them have been misteriously deleted.
Many of us who have posted this issues, who have contacted Waldorf and who have tried every possible means of solving the problem have been banned from posting new posts.
I don't know what is going on at Waldorf, but if this is the way they are doing bussiness I'm afraid they will not stay for long (yet again)
Of course I have sold the Blofeld in the second hand market and since then I have bought a Korg Radias with wich I am completely satisfied.
Best regards to all of you
Don't mean to sound rude but you say you don't think much of Waldorf's reputation for selling you a 'dodgy' synth and yet you sold it on to some unsuspecting buyer knowing full well it had issues. Isn't that like the pot calling the kettle....?

rhampton
KVRer
2 posts since 31 May, 2013

Post Fri May 31, 2013 2:26 am

i read this forum after buying a brand new Blofeld Desktop Module and i seem to have similar issues with Arp Timing.
Every time i use a Arp sound...Very nice sounds i may ad, but i'm triggering it from my Korg EMX1...very simple setup. I have it in multi Mode and the 1st Channel is set to a Arp Sound, Tempo 120...When i hit record and i got the Metronone beeping,, i notice that the Arp Sound is loosing it's Sync...not only that it doesn't keep the Tempo of it's own sync, another words if i have it at 1/8 it will not play 1st note in sync and the whole Arp is thrown out of place...well it's totally useless at this point to use the Arp...i tried a lot of settings but it seems that the Arp is not syncing up correctly...i just have a Dave Smith Mopho and used it with same setup and the Arp is PERFECT....no issues...well i decided to get this Blofeld Desktop Synth and altho sounds are good,,i am a big fan of the Arp...i believe when i turned on unit it showed like V1.51...is there a fix to this? i can't imagine that my unit is broken cause everything else works so i can't honestly say it's broken so can anyone help?
Very frustrating...when i'm creating a song, the only thing i can take advantage of is make general music with no Arp delayed type music..

kmonkey
KVRAF
3977 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Post Fri May 31, 2013 3:19 am

So i am a lucky one because i don't have these issues .

Really werid :?

Aural Chaos
KVRian
1107 posts since 31 Oct, 2002 from the high desert

Post Fri May 31, 2013 5:46 am

rhamptom-
Grab the public beta for 1.16 and see if that improves the situation.

http://www.waldorf-music.info/en/downlo ... ystem.html

rhampton
KVRer
2 posts since 31 May, 2013

Post Fri May 31, 2013 3:04 pm

[quote="Aural Chaos"]rhamptom-
Grab the public beta for 1.16 and see if that improves the situation.

ok thanks for the Link. Now i just have to find out the Procedure on how to get it on the Unit. Haven't done that sort of thing in a while. I'm trying to determine wether i should keep it or Return it...so far it's working great but i am still noticing the Arp is not keeping up with the Time...i have tried a few things like using a very basic sound and a very basic Arp..That helped a little bit. I turned of all effects and just added a taste of delay..so i'm wondering with all the filters and effects that's going on especially with the 3 Oscillators, im wondering if it's sort of running out of memory and contributing to the time being out of Sync...I also notice that i have to manually set the time on the unit. I'm using my Korg EMX1 Groove box to trigger this unit So i imagine that the Midi Sync, Clock, etc would automatically be in sync...I could not find a section on Blofeld that would automatically syn Midi clock to external device. If i'm not accurate on that, please someone guide me to the parameter where i can turn that on. I shouldn't have to manually adjust Tempo on Blofeld to match the Tempo on my EMX1.

Aural Chaos
KVRian
1107 posts since 31 Oct, 2002 from the high desert

Post Fri May 31, 2013 4:44 pm

The best way to update the OS is to download Spectre from Waldorf- it's the app to load samples, but can also play in the .mid file for the update.
You can use other apps, but Spectre is known to be reliable.

Oh, and there IS a setting for clock source- you really want to check that before deciding you have problems syncing. It's under Global, download the manual if you are having trouble finding where the setting is.

Slaq
KVRer
2 posts since 23 Sep, 2013 from Poland

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:00 am

Hi,

Hardware-wise I'm very happy about my Blofeld desktop. However I seem to be unable to install the sample play option (which I bought on a CD at a local dealership). I follow the instruction telling me just to play the .mid file (I've used Ableton Live 9 and Reaper, also MIDI Ox) into the Blofeld but it won't work. Although I can see the MIDI LED blink, there is no message with the challenge code on the device's screen? Has anybody experienced anything like that? Please help (I'm using a PC, the Blofeld receives MIDI via a USB cable, it's set to channel 1, device 0 - though I've tried different settings).

Slaq
KVRer
2 posts since 23 Sep, 2013 from Poland

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:20 am

My problem sort of solved itself in a quirky way, but another one cropped up - The Spectre software. It just keeps crashing, particularly when I'm trying to feed more than say 40 samples into it :/

oldsynth
KVRer
6 posts since 31 Mar, 2017

Re: Waldorf Blofeld issues

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:34 am

I've just bought one. It's full of bugs. I can't alter the tempo of the arpreggiator. The encoder doesn't do anything when I alter it. Very annoying.

boombaxx
KVRist
253 posts since 10 Mar, 2005

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:12 pm

I know whats wrong does it say made in China on the back :D

chk071
KVRAF
18861 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:18 pm

Send it back, and get a working unit.

akeia
KVRist
129 posts since 14 Nov, 2016 from Berliner Umland

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 pm

My Blofeld was very unstable until I used a 12V 2A power supply. The previous owner used 9V 1A. I do not know if that was the original power supply but I had all kinds of crazy effects with it.

The pots work perfect if you add buffer capacitors. But that needs some SMD soldering skills.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17688 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:15 am

That's a given, because it even says on the silkscreening that you're supposed to use a 12V DC power supply.

kmonkey
KVRAF
3977 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Re:

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:54 am

Vectorman wrote:
Fri May 23, 2008 5:58 am
I haven't encountered any of the first three issues myself, YET, but the MIDI clock sync issue wouldn't surprise me - I haven't had much luck thus far getting my MicroQ to sync to MIDI clock (haven't tried syncing the Blofeld yet). When I wanted to use a MicroQ arpeggiated pattern in a song recently, I just set the tempo on the mQ, recorded it into Sonar, and dragged the audio event a tiny bit to stretch it so that it lined up right with the end of the last bar. The time stretch was minimal enough not to produce much in the way of sonic degradation. That works fine for recording - obviously doesn't help for live use.

It does seem like some of the Waldorf stuff inherits not only a part of the PPG's sonic distinctiveness but also some of the PPG's quirkiness. I put up with it (as PPG Wave users did in the '80s, I suppose) because I like the sound so darned much and can't really get it anywhere else at this point. If a VST synth came along that really captured that sound - the wavetables, the filters, the ultra-fast envelopes, etc. - I'd be all over it.
Same here. Apart from his point 4 - i never encountered these issues and i do torture my Blofeld a lot. My guess is that he received faulty unit. Too bad.

zaphod betamax
KVRist
53 posts since 17 May, 2016

Post Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:59 am

I have 4 Blofelds. None of them have given me grief
Either a) I am really lucky
b) I have dodged the law if averages

oldsynth wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:34 am
I've just bought one. It's full of bugs. I can't alter the tempo of the arpreggiator. The encoder doesn't do anything when I alter it. Very annoying.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”