DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
AnX
KVRAF
3796 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:04 am

Elektronisch wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:00 am

Also i did noticed when filters are linked they do not rotate accordingly to the one you are moving.

if you move the left cutoff 5%, the right cutoff moves 5% (relative to current position)

they do not "auto match" values

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2667 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:39 am

AnX wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:04 am
Elektronisch wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:00 am

Also i did noticed when filters are linked they do not rotate accordingly to the one you are moving.

if you move the left cutoff 5%, the right cutoff moves 5% (relative to current position)

they do not "auto match" values
Yes exactly that and it does feel a bit odd because thats not an expected behaviour (at least for ex when working with virus or harmor). Maybe add an option where you can choose the behaviour would be good :)

User avatar
Richard_Synapse
KVRian
897 posts since 20 Dec, 2010

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:08 am

Elektronisch wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:39 am
Yes exactly that and it does feel a bit odd because thats not an expected behaviour (at least for ex when working with virus or harmor). Maybe add an option where you can choose the behaviour would be good :)
The behavior is on purpose. Suppose you set up the filter cutoffs to create a formant-type sound, you want to keep the relative distance between the Cutoffs when sweeping them together. Generally speaking, there is no situation I can think of where all filter parameters (i.e. Cutoff, Reso, Keytrack, Drive) should be all exactly the same. Usually only one or two of them should match, and this is exactly what can be controlled nicely in Dune 3. Some synths only give you a Cutoff link, but it can be desirable to link Reso or Keytrack as well.

In order to force Cutoff 1/2 to be the same, simply move both Cutoffs to zero or to 100% then hit Link, and you have them on the exact same value, controlled now by Cutoff 1.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2667 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:48 am

Richard_Synapse wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:08 am
Elektronisch wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:39 am
Yes exactly that and it does feel a bit odd because thats not an expected behaviour (at least for ex when working with virus or harmor). Maybe add an option where you can choose the behaviour would be good :)
The behavior is on purpose. Suppose you set up the filter cutoffs to create a formant-type sound, you want to keep the relative distance between the Cutoffs when sweeping them together. Generally speaking, there is no situation I can think of where all filter parameters (i.e. Cutoff, Reso, Keytrack, Drive) should be all exactly the same. Usually only one or two of them should match, and this is exactly what can be controlled nicely in Dune 3. Some synths only give you a Cutoff link, but it can be desirable to link Reso or Keytrack as well.

In order to force Cutoff 1/2 to be the same, simply move both Cutoffs to zero or to 100% then hit Link, and you have them on the exact same value, controlled now by Cutoff 1.

Richard
Indeed, thanks for the answer.

But what about this? :)
Elektronisch wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:00 am
Hey Richard_Synapse

I did noticed one odd detail. In MSEGs there is small LCD screen bellow name "seconds/time" just above "preset". Shouldnt it display time/seconds? it shows black with 3 dots.

User avatar
Richard_Synapse
KVRian
897 posts since 20 Dec, 2010

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:08 am

Elektronisch wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:00 am
I did noticed one odd detail. In MSEGs there is small LCD screen bellow name "seconds/time" just above "preset". Shouldnt it display time/seconds? it shows black with 3 dots.
When the MSEG is sync'ed to the host tempo, then the LCD display is in bars/quarters. If the MSEG is not sync'ed, then time is measured in seconds.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2667 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:13 am

Richard_Synapse wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:08 am
Elektronisch wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:00 am
I did noticed one odd detail. In MSEGs there is small LCD screen bellow name "seconds/time" just above "preset". Shouldnt it display time/seconds? it shows black with 3 dots.
When the MSEG is sync'ed to the host tempo, then the LCD display is in bars/quarters. If the MSEG is not sync'ed, then time is measured in seconds.

Richard
Ah i see now, when you mentioned msegs i just paid attention it changes when you move the mseg points themself...silly me :dog:

DavidCarlyon
KVRist
230 posts since 17 Mar, 2018

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Does anyonr else wish we had mute buttons on the mixer? kind of a small ting really, but just useful when you want to autition oscillators without screwing the mix up.

User avatar
RichN
KVRist
167 posts since 4 Dec, 2004 from The Netherlands

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:05 am

DavidCarlyon wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:07 pm
Does anyonr else wish we had mute buttons on the mixer? kind of a small ting really, but just useful when you want to autition oscillators without screwing the mix up.
Absolutely!

User avatar
INIT_KS
KVRer
9 posts since 10 Dec, 2018

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:04 am


chk071
KVRAF
18512 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:32 pm

Cinebient wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:02 am
But i wished Dune 3 would offer even a wider frequency. F.e. the OSC frequency goes not really as down as some others can and also there seems a limit in the high frequencies where other can go much further.
I just noticed that. It seems the highest note Dune 3 can play is C6. Not that that wouldn't be enough in most cases. Just interesting that there's a limit.

I also noticed that there's quite a low cut on the higher frequencies visible in a spectrum analyzer:
Dune 3 spectrum.jpg
Mind you, this happens in a similar way in a lot of other synths as well. Waldorf Largo e.g. has a hard cut at a certain frequency below the actual sample rate frequency. Looks like Dune has some kind of low cut with a slope like a low pass filter though, which is not apparent in other synths.

I know, nitpicking, but, stuff like that is interesting for me to compare. It's also something i don't criticize (to prevent the hack slashing from the usual suspects), i guess Dune was coded that way to be low on CPU, which is cool of course.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
12026 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:59 pm

Fascinating. One post showing someone making awesome sounds with Dune 3. The next post is someone worried about how it looks on an analyzer.

Shows just how skewed some people's (the usual suspects) priorities are these days........ :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7530 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:01 pm

chk071 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:32 pm
I know, nitpicking, but, stuff like that is interesting for me to compare. It's also something i don't criticize (to prevent the hack slashing from the usual suspects), i guess Dune was coded that way to be low on CPU, which is cool of course.
Assuming you are talking about me, I've not criticised you, just tried to tell you that these things are completely irrelevant and can often be misleading. That is certainly the case with Thorn, which has no more problems with low notes than it does with high notes, yet you've convinced yourself it has because you look at things that don't matter. It's perfectly fine to say "isn't that interesting" but when you look at the results and say "so I'd never use this synth for xxxxx", you are doing yourself a disservice.

In this instance, I imagine the roll-off is possibly to reduce/remove aliasing but I'd be very surprised if you could hear the effect of it when you are playing the instrument or making patches for it. So yeah, interesting but irrelevant.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno.

chk071
KVRAF
18512 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:12 pm

BONES wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:01 pm
Assuming you are talking about me
Nope, i wasn't. ;)
BONES wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:01 pm
In this instance, I imagine the roll-off is possibly to reduce/remove aliasing
That was my guess too. As on whether you hear it or not... well... at some point, you definitely do. It's often surprising for me, though, because, sometimes, synths go right up there in the frequencies, and sound muffled anyway, while others have a hard cut way before the sample rate frequency, and sound perfectly normal, or, at least, there's nothing obvious.
Teksonik wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:59 pm
Fascinating. One post showing someone making awesome sounds with Dune 3. The next post is someone worried about how it looks on an analyzer.
See, that's the issue you have. Everything which is not a raving cheer about a plugin you like is "worrying", or bashing on it. I'm pointing out things i notice. Interestingly, you're right at my butt when i do so, while, when i have positive stuff to post about Dune, you're nowhere to be seen. So, i guess i should rather take your posts with a extra pinch of salt, than take them serious, because it seems you rather have a personal problem with my posts, and, no matter what i say, you will always be offended.

AnX
KVRAF
3796 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:14 am

v3.05

no idea whats new/fixed

HcDoom
KVRian
928 posts since 18 Feb, 2012

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:39 pm

Is there a way to solo/mute certain layer/voice?

Return to “Instruments”