Article: a free Windows-based software studio

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you very much fore your nice share.It's very important fore me.Nxet time share more update info.

Macaw DAW had been updated quite recently and is looking promising. I haven't tried though since I'm mostly on Mac now.
http://www.breakoutbox.de/software/maca ... table.html
Signal Experiments
http://sig-ex.com

Sadly, synthgeek's domain is "for sale". Maybe it had something to do with the parent URL: "skincontact dot com". Oh, I think I know who bought that one. :wink:

Where has the info gone?

sig-ex wrote:Macaw DAW had been updated quite recently and is looking promising. I haven't tried though since I'm mostly on Mac now.
http://www.breakoutbox.de/software/maca ... table.html
Yes! That's what i was looking for.

Reaper is good enough for me... or Cubase LE

For all those who are impatient here is the link from archive.org:
http://web.archive.org/web/201204280641 ... m/node/183

By the way, the list could be updated. First thing I'd add is the Tracktion software (besides mentioned previously). It is fully operational DAW and a good one. When I find more time, I will update this list to be more accurate 5 years later :)
With great sound comes great power.

Nice work

The current best free DAW offer has got to be Cakewalk Home Studio.

It works just like Sonar but is missing some fx and other stuff.

It is also limited to 64 tracks.

I got it free with Computer Music, but apparently a quick google will yield a redemption code to enter into the Cakewalk command center.

It has a great guitar amp built in - Overloud TH3.

UPDATES to free DAWs
- Cakewalk by Bandlabs
ex Sonar/Gibson
tightly integrated to bandlabs website
wasn't updated for a while
basic libraries/instruments included (bagpipes!)
- LMMS
no live recording (?)
basic, frequently compared to garageband
available for linux
there's a book which is supposed to be good: "LMMS, A Complete Guide to Dance Music Production, 2012"
- Presonus Studio One Prime 4
no VSTs
great proprietary libraries
noted for quality mixing/mastering
- Protools First
must save to cloud
nerfed version of industry standard
- Tracktion 7
- Ardour
available for linux

DAWS FOR FREE IF PURCHASE HARDWARE
- Ableton Live Lite
available when purchasing some M-Audio, Akai, Novation MIDI controllers
- Bitwig 8-Track
available when purchasing some Nektar MIDI controllers
available for linux
- Reason Lite
available with some Akai MIDI controllers
- Cubase

Great thread. However since this is a Sticky (on the top), the very first link on the thread is a URL that is no longer valid as I get a 404 !!

DAWS FOR FREE IF PURCHASE HARDWARE
Nice update...lots of good ones available....There is also Tracktion Waveform OEM if you buy Behringer/Mackie/Avid hardware...I picked up an audio interface and got Waveform OEM at no cost...unlimited tracks...light on CPU, I'm currently using it as a Rewire master with Max 8. It's pretty much all I need, I'm impressed with it so far. :party:
Ableton Live 10 / Push

Thanks. This was ver helpful for me.

why are you looking for free if there are paid DAWs starting from $1..70, plugins on sales..
Last edited by MixFix on Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.

MixFix wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:50 am why you are looking for free if you can buy FL studio as low as $70 ( image-line.com using coupon BIRTHDAY -30%), plugins on sales , like right now until august 3 , -70% meldaproduction.com (50% sale +20% coupon [affiliate code removed]
Because $70 is $70 more than free. And if, unlike you, they havent been trying to dishonestly make money by punting off their Melda referral code on the sly, they might not have $70 to spare.
And since Im pretty sure posting referral codes/affiliate links without making it clear that's what they are is a breach of the KVR rules, expect to hear from a moderator.
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

On the other hand, i can well understand that someone suggests to look a bit further than free. Apart from Cakewalk, i don't know any free DAW which is remotely competetive. Or free VST's or VSTi's, which are remotely competetive with good payware.

But, OK, the topic is the topic. Hopefully some will realize though that it can be a major waste of time to dogmatically insist on "free". E.g., Synthmaster One was available for as little as 24 € recently, and, that one beats anything which is available for free, at a no-brainer price.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”