Hive 2 is coming!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

If hexagon area is bigger then you can put more things in it. :D

It also left the monochromatic days behind and became a colour display. Plus, we figured out how to grey out unused elements.

needs 2400 filter types!

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:53 pm If hexagon area is bigger then you can put more things in it. :D
Odd shapes tend to be less efficient. Don't know why really :clown:

:dog: everything i never thought would happen with hive is happening and it's all things i asked for. :dog:

i see myself repurchasing hive in the future lol.

Don't know about that, hexagons are the most efficient use of space there is. Just ask your friendly neighborhood bees. Granted, the whole space needs to be hexagons, but details, details....:)

I'd totally be creative in that little baba yaga's hut in the woods too, though I'm not sure any of my gear would work in it. I'd have to learn the lute :D

PieBerger wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:21 pm I can see where you pick up your bad manners, there are some unnecessarily angry opinionated people in this place :hihi:
Don't worry, I'll stay out ;) :P
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:53 pm If hexagon area is bigger then you can put more things in it. :D
I just tweeted something along those veins.
rsp
sound sculptist

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:04 pm :dog: everything i never thought would happen with hive is happening and it's all things i asked for. :dog:

i see myself repurchasing hive in the future lol.
Hive has always been a brilliant instrument, sound and performance-wise. I could never understand people want to get rid of it.

All I can say is: Wait and see. I have the luxury of looking at the progress each and every day, and in my view it's turning out great. The new design will look better, it'll offer better usability and keep the iconic view.

I'd also like to remind everyone that our previous plan to abandon the hexagon was discussed very controversial as well. I agree that the original design is very crammed, but that's simply not nearly as bad in the current state.

Stokely wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:07 pm Don't know about that, hexagons are the most efficient use of space there is.
For subdividing a space, yes. One big hexagon, maybe not quite as much.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

It's like - one hexagon to rule them all

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm I'd also like to remind everyone that our previous plan to abandon the hexagon was discussed very controversial as well.
If you limit your questioning to actual designers I'm sure you'll reach a consensus quite easily.
It's a nice thought: hive 》 hexagon.
But you're giving up screen real estate and usability for a gimmick. And you could integrate the hexagon-idea in your design in other ways...

Stefken wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:12 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm I'd also like to remind everyone that our previous plan to abandon the hexagon was discussed very controversial as well.
If you limit your questioning to actual designers I'm sure you'll reach a consensus quite easily.
It's a nice thought: hive 》 hexagon.
But you're giving up screen real estate and usability for a gimmick. And you could integrate the hexagon-idea in your design in other ways...
Maybe the best skin for Hive is the Plugmon skin, in terms of usability. But does it look sexy enough to sell a product? Does everyone feel more comfortable with such a visual expression?

Hexagons, wooden cheeks, skeuomorphism - while some people cringe at these, for others they're the rug that really ties the room together.

In my younger years, gaining lots of new information from hexagons was something I did a lot of in the mid 1980's... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDpZSjjMdVQ

From 12.00 mins in, you'll see how the contestants real stage front panel is designed with intersecting hexagons. An interesting design.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Return to “Instruments”