Hive 2 is coming!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:28 pm
Stefken wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:12 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm I'd also like to remind everyone that our previous plan to abandon the hexagon was discussed very controversial as well.
If you limit your questioning to actual designers I'm sure you'll reach a consensus quite easily.
It's a nice thought: hive 》 hexagon.
But you're giving up screen real estate and usability for a gimmick. And you could integrate the hexagon-idea in your design in other ways...
Maybe the best skin for Hive is the Plugmon skin, in terms of usability. But does it look sexy enough to sell a product? Does everyone feel more comfortable with such a visual expression?

Hexagons, wooden cheeks, skeuomorphism - while some people cringe at these, for others they're the rug that really ties the room together.
I'm not familiar with the history of the Hive synth.
Like I said : the hexagon idea is nice. And I also have nothing against wooden cheeks etc. Your resident designer should be able to come up with an efficient design that also looks attractive and integrates the hexagon idea somewhere in your design (logo, 'hero', icons, background,...whatever).

The end credits of the movie Bumblebee might give you some ideas :wink: .
Last edited by Stefken on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hi

I think Urs is a brave man indeed to let the secret out of the bag - if I was a dev you would get an Email reading:

'Oh, just to let you know that you might want to look in your account as we have just released an update'!@#

If nothing else you would not have gone to bed tonight dreaming/having nightmares about hexagons...

Eh - regardless of cheek bones, workflow matters with any tool. I personally didn’t like Hive’s. Similarly, I don’t like modular synths no matter how nice they look. Thankfully there are plenty of other instrument options available today (I personally prefer programming sounds in Avenger and Ana 2).

enCiphered wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:44 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:04 pm :dog: everything i never thought would happen with hive is happening and it's all things i asked for. :dog:

i see myself repurchasing hive in the future lol.
look man, i stuck with a half finished instrument for years not know how it was going look or act when finished. they never gave any indication that the things i wanted were going to all be implimented, in fact many times the opposite. it got to a point where i honestly could not stare at that tron blue screen anymore. i had immediate needs. no biggy, it will probably wind up back on my hard drive after completed.

edit: phone typing.

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:28 pm
Maybe the best skin for Hive is the Plugmon skin, in terms of usability. But does it look sexy enough to sell a product? Does everyone feel more comfortable with such a visual expression?

Hexagons, wooden cheeks, skeuomorphism - while some people cringe at these, for others they're the rug that really ties the room together.
I don't like the plugmon skin; it looks... The wrong kind of flat, i think it's the Shadows that get me, and the lack of any strong/clear edges.
(On the other hand, i think that AIKO is friggin gorgeous, better than the original. But I don't have it (yet) so... presswerk/satin are higher on the list)
I still haven't found a Hive skin that would work better for me than the original blue.

Truly flat designs nowadays usually don't do so much shadowing.

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:01 pmi stuck with a half finished instrument for years not know how it was going look or act when finished.
?!? Hive 1.0 was always a finished product.

I do remember though that we did a 3D rendered teaser video where the "WIP" hexagon tab of the beta version was relabelled to "Morph" even though we never intended there to be a "morph" function. This was an accident, no-one here noticed. The hoo-ha was great and thus we acknowledged that we'd try to figure something out. The thread which was meant to be that became a long and depressing argument. The 1.2 update settles that argument for good.

:o
ou3DGC9.png
Thank god for the colorize function in Paint Shop Pro........ :lol:

Probably not a good idea to let someone doing the Bird Box Challenge to do your GUI..... :hihi:

(yes I see "gui not final")
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Trust me, it looks gorgeous - and tastefully colourized.

(that said, I have a *lot* of experience with putting out controversially discussed UIs... Zebra 1.0 anyone?)

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:28 pm Maybe the best skin for Hive is the Plugmon skin, in terms of usability. But does it look sexy enough to sell a product? Does everyone feel more comfortable with such a visual expression?

I found the Plugmon skin Hive to be far less intuitive, it takes more mental processing than that of one based on symmetry where you only need to form one mental picture... and that's leaving the other aesthetics aside. The ability to hide aspects of the GUI that you don't need to see does help reduce the amount of information that your eyes and brain need to process however so that's also of great benefit. For example, do I need to see a keyboard or a modulation strip all the time ? If not, wouldn't it be nice to blank it out from view. It's something I was able to do, so I know that it's possible, but Plugmon did show that side with other sections also.

Or you could take the other route of killing two birds with one stone and allow for a toggle based drop down section, that would reduce the overall GUI size as one can do with Presence XT in Presonus Studio One. Is dynamic GUI resizing in this way beyond the remits of what is possible with the SDK you are using ? If so, then the possibility of blanking panel method is probably the feasible alternative, and that would be vie a button that one would press.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk4ex-yagls

@urs is this the video? holy shit how did i miss that
I'm such a sucker for over the top sci-fi bullshit, I want my hive to have the same opening sequence as the final shot in the promo everytime i open it.

I really like the light-pink hexagon - yes please

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 pm Trust me, it looks gorgeous - and tastefully colourized.
grey and pastels?

has it got a rag rolled background to finish off the look? :hihi:

AnX wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:18 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 pm Trust me, it looks gorgeous - and tastefully colourized.
grey and pastels?
Yup, tasteful stuff. Like the colour of Donkey Tugger's logo :hihi:
has it got a rag rolled background to finish off the look? :hihi:
That's beyond my definition of tasteful :D

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:17 pm@urs is this the video?
That's the one...

... not promoting it anymore because, you know, agreeably misleading advertisement due to the "morph" panel.

(although... why don't we simply say we relabelled it into "XY"?!?)

Return to “Instruments”