Why are there more ReWire Hosts than Clients?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was interested in ReWiring Traction Waveform with Studio One but they will both only act as Hosts. I found a list of ReWire compatible DAWs and saw there were more Hosts than Clients and few that would do both. I did find out that there are separate SDKs for Hosts and Clients so it's not like everyone just forgot to flip the switch that allows an app to function as both.
Are there any DAWs you'd like to ReWire into your main one but can't?

Because Rewire was originally developed by Propellerhead to allow integrating Reason's Rack in other DAWs.

I don't think it was ever saw by the industry as a protocol to host one (any) DAW in the other (any) DAW.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Why are there more ReWire Hosts than Clients?
I can only speak for myself, but, i'd expect a bit more than the exchange of audio and MIDI data from such a protocol. At the very least, i'd expect also to send parameter data, and the ability to automate those.

Apart from that, i think Rewire kind of outlived itself, now that Reason can host VST's. I really don't see the use.

Think it was for ReBirth into Cubase back in the day, or FL Studio using Reason's synths, FL in Ableton maybe - though I think that would be possible with VST instead, now in Reason too I guess.

Just bought Reason Lite, sadly doesn't have ReWire (yet?) to allow easier use in FL. I'm pretty sure I could set up some kind of wild MIDI and audio routing to achieve a similar result though.
Nova II, FL20+Fire, Sytrus, Transistor Bass, DUNE 3, Thorn, Viper, ANA 2 SynthMaster, Discovery Pro, Reason, SugarBytes, SoundToys, LION, TRIAD, Plugin-Alliance, T-Racks, AmpliTube, MODO Drum/Bass, iZotope MPS 2.
One Day: FLEXXX, Alpha Forever, Diversion 2

whannel wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:27 pmJust bought Reason Lite, sadly doesn't have ReWire (yet?) to allow easier use in FL.
It won't. Props have not created Lite for you to cheaply host Reason's instruments & FX in other DAWs. They made it for you to buy full Reason :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I think they tried that tactic with their synths being Reason exclusive till recently when after telling me they'd never be VST, were bought over then provided the opposite a few months later (I had only asked for Subtractor). But yeah now they've given Europa away in the Lite version it might not make sense for a while, or be fair on VST buyers (I wouldn't have paid as much for the VST due to buying Thorn before it was given away near full version). It'll be bouncing down/workaround routings until they consider a better policy might be to be more open, like some other devs are. They don't seem to offer an easy upgrade path from Lite so I'm unsure on their aims, couldn't afford to go full without a deal in a hurry. Unless I cold sell some Europa presets, their marketplace looks pretty hefty I'd need to be good.
Nova II, FL20+Fire, Sytrus, Transistor Bass, DUNE 3, Thorn, Viper, ANA 2 SynthMaster, Discovery Pro, Reason, SugarBytes, SoundToys, LION, TRIAD, Plugin-Alliance, T-Racks, AmpliTube, MODO Drum/Bass, iZotope MPS 2.
One Day: FLEXXX, Alpha Forever, Diversion 2

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”