Two new Plugin Alliance products announced: SPL Iron & SPL HawkEye

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I dunno, Iron sounds pretty great. I just played piano and Wurlitzer through it for a couple hours with some loopers. Also the acustica stuff sounds really good to me. Too bad about the cpu hit. I don’t think those products are snake oil at all. Water’s compressor sounds very good to me. I like both as much or more than the black rooster stuff, which was very hyped on GS. But make up your own mind.

Ok i decided I would have a crack and demo Iron out myself. Here's a small track I whipped together during my test.

First Bit is the Dry mix, and then with SPL enabled.
https://soundcloud.com/user-841453413/i ... -lumatched

Notable and obvious differences in this is the volume boost which Is the result of the input being boosted.

Instruments used were
- Kontakts Drum Lab being run through NI Transient Designer and then into Cytomic The Glue.
- Arturia Mini V using a preset
- U-he Diva using another preset with a bit of tweaking on the HPF. (Diva was also running in DIVINE mode)

You can see the mix here. The picture accurately shows the volume levels in the mix, with Diva being the quietest and the drums being the loudest.
Ableton_meters_2.png
On the Master channel I had SPL Iron running into an Ableton Limiter as you can see here. On the limiter I didn't really change anything apart from the ceiling.
Ableton_meters.png
I recorded this at 192khz and then dithered the audio down to 48khz using a rectangular dither. (Note: If anyone wants me to upload the 192khz version I can)
RenderSettings.png

My thoughts so far : So far I think it's pretty decent for adding presence to the mix, this would probably be something I'd want to use for acoustic instrument mixes and so on. Not so sure I'd pay the money for something like this though unless I was a professional mixer and could make the purchase back. Not because It doesn't sound good, i can see it being useful but it's just not something I NEED or really want for that matter. Again I think this is really for someone who uses these things for a living.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
:borg:

Here's the settings I used on my track. (I couldn't upload this with my other post for some reason)

Apart from the volume being a bit louder, I did notice that it was doing something to the transients and at some wild settings i could get these really crazy clicking sounds out of it. Not sure if that's a bug or not, but me being a guy interested in weird sounds I thought it was kind of cool, not sure I'd pay $200+ for that though :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hey guys ! A quick post to tell you that I'm giving away my Heavy Hitting Vouchers (Iron, Hawk Eye and Maagnum-K Compressor). If you're interested, just pm me.

Ok after a bit more playing around, this thing is definitely not for me. It's really aimed at those of you guys & gals who mix finished songs for a living. :tu:

Cheers

V0RT3X wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:23 am Ok i decided I would have a crack and demo Iron out myself. Here's a small track I whipped together during my test.
[snip...]

Notable and obvious differences in this is the volume boost which Is the result of the input being boosted.
[snip...]
It's very challenging to compare two examples that are at such different loudness levels. Can you loudness-match them and re-upload? I am more than happy to take your wav of it and loudness-match the clips if you want, PM me. :phones:

plexuss wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:38 pm
V0RT3X wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:23 am Ok i decided I would have a crack and demo Iron out myself. Here's a small track I whipped together during my test.
[snip...]

[snip...]
It's very challenging to compare two examples that are at such different loudness levels. Can you loudness-match them and re-upload? I am more than happy to take your wav of it and loudness-match the clips if you want, PM me. :phones:
Sure that would be pretty cool I'll PM you.

Ok thanks to Plexuss, I got a properly loudness matched Demo track with Iron on it for anyone to check out.

https://soundcloud.com/user-841453413/i ... -lumatched

i gave those a pass, got too many comps etc which i need to learn so whoever wants a $50 PA Voucher i sell mine for $25!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

DJErmac wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:28 pm
SiliconDeath wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:47 pm Vertigo Sound will be coming out with VSC-3 plugin either this month or next month. I think that thing will be something worth l̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶w̶a̶r̶d̶ saving to :)
Seriously ?!? :o
Where does this information come from ?
Now I'm very interested.... I LOVE my VSC-2 ! :hyper:
It seems that Vertigo are doing their own plugins in-house now. SO I doubt we will see these appear on Plugin Alliance. That doesn't mean you can't shop from them instead.

simon.a.billington wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:21 pm
SiliconDeath wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:47 pm Vertigo Sound will be coming out with VSC-3 plugin either this month or next month. I think that thing will be something worth l̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶w̶a̶r̶d̶ saving to :)
It seems that Vertigo are doing their own plugins in-house now. SO I doubt we will see these appear on Plugin Alliance. That doesn't mean you can't shop from them instead.
But does it mean they will stop support on already released PA products ?

Burillo wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:42 pm
pixel85 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:29 pm btw no one here accuses anyone of anything. We're just exchanging our loose thoughts and opinions.
"they just sell the same stuff with a different GUI" is a not just "an opinion", it is a factual claim that can be objectively verified. fact of the matter is, this is direct accusation of a developer lying to you. i hope your accusation is not baseless.
Please, show me where I wrote exact sentence. Sorry but you failed simple task which is quoting without distorting the sentence. With such tactics you could make a great career in fake news business :)

In a meantime I do a bit of homework for you: what I wrote is just an idle hypothesis. Not even directed to anyone in particular (there's not a single mention of plugin developers nor reference or name of any developer). Also, if you would not forget about word 'maybe' at the beginning of the sentence (or by seeing winking smiley at the end of sentence) then maybe you would get that it's far away from accusation or claim. But instead you distorted my sentence to your liking for your own purpose.
tl;dr you hear (read) what you want to hear.

Digivolt wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:49 pm
simon.a.billington wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:21 pm
But does it mean they will stop support on already released PA products ?
That’s s very bloody good question!! I wish I knew. I certainly do hope that support continues. I have a feeling it might as Brainworx did the coding for it. But nothing is guaranteed.

Return to “Effects”