Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
SoundPorn
KVRist
470 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:21 am

I felt like Tracktion was gonna drop a bomb at NAAM and wow. One thing that really surprised me tho is I guess I don't have to keep building faceplates for my AirWindows plugins in Waveform9 because...
https://youtu.be/w4vqNLHENw0

pc999
KVRian
1318 posts since 19 Aug, 2009

Re: Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:27 am

Nice stuff, plus I love they opensourced stuff.

trancema
KVRist
109 posts since 2 Mar, 2007

Re: Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:05 am

wow, really nice stuff...
I am not a Waveform user (yet) but I am keeping my eyes on it closely and v10 has a lot of useful improvements for workflow.

Tracktion definitely deserves more attention on market, next to Bitwig.
Both of those DAWs are unique in their own ways.

spoontechnique
KVRist
101 posts since 7 May, 2018

Re: Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:52 pm

Very excited for W10. I've tried out the beta and all the improvements are great. With the lone exception of the Airwindows plugins. Haven't found a single one I think sounds good or is useful. Would have preferred any other dev as a partner for Tracktion, but I can't complain about free.

metamorphosis
KVRAF
3774 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Re: Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:06 pm

I feel less than overwhelmed - yes that's a ton of plugs, but really... stability has always been an issue for Tracktion, compared to Reaper et al, and until that's fixed, I don't so much care. Also feel like the interface is cluttered, compared to what it used to be like.

SoundPorn
KVRist
470 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Re: Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:19 pm

Interesting take bcuz ive settled on Waveform9 and Reaper as my main DAWs mostly bcuz of stability on my system and ease of use. I actually think Waveform has one of the least cluttered interfaces bcuz u can make the panels disapear and pop up when u hover over it
metamorphosis wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:06 pm
I feel less than overwhelmed - yes that's a ton of plugs, but really... stability has always been an issue for Tracktion, compared to Reaper et al, and until that's fixed, I don't so much care. Also feel like the interface is cluttered, compared to what it used to be like.

SoundPorn
KVRist
470 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Re: Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:24 pm

Yeah if ur unfamiliar with how Air Windows works ur gonna have trouble and alot of them are aimed at analog saturation and lofi. I personally use ones like Distance and Melt are the time to fade tracks into the background. Bite works well when u need ur high end excited sort of like Waves Aural Exciter. Drum Smash and To Tape work great on drums. Drum Smash kinda makes anything sound like its from an old sampler. Buss Colors is like the vst Color Tone.
spoontechnique wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:52 pm
Very excited for W10. I've tried out the beta and all the improvements are great. With the lone exception of the Airwindows plugins. Haven't found a single one I think sounds good or is useful. Would have preferred any other dev as a partner for Tracktion, but I can't complain about free.

SoundPorn
KVRist
470 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Re: Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:25 pm

This is the one i don't get. How does it benefit being open source?
pc999 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:27 am
Nice stuff, plus I love they opensourced stuff.

SoundPorn
KVRist
470 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Re: Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:49 pm

The complete overview of Waveform10... I think the only thing they didn't implement yet is clip launching. This thing comes with AutoTune and Melodyne and the sampler cab sample right from Youtube then beat replace the groove. This is this generations daw.
https://youtu.be/i6mAmFKbkqw

pc999
KVRian
1318 posts since 19 Aug, 2009

Re: Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Post Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:26 am

SoundPorn wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:25 pm
This is the one i don't get. How does it benefit being open source?
pc999 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:27 am
Nice stuff, plus I love they opensourced stuff.
They can always get some contribuition for users, let it be improvmentes bug fixes, new features ...

But we all benefict from this, who knows how this can contribute to audio DSP students, new projects or programs etc...

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
1878 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Re: Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Post Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:57 am

I'm always excited reading about Waveform, but then I see the videos & the GUI and I lose all my enthusiasm.

Something about it throws me off every time: too much text everywhere, too "boxy" and very flat. I don't know - to me it looks like the proverbial "programmer art", i.e. art - or in this case: interface - created by the programmers to test if their stuff works.
Bitwig 2 // Reason 10 // Cubase 10 @ Surface Pro 4
https://soundcloud.com/antic604

SoundPorn
KVRist
470 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Re: Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Post Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:23 pm

I'm gonna be honest here. I have no idea what ur talking about or what this "programmer art" is. Maybe it's the colors. There is an option to opt for the old T6 all white GUI, I use a dark grey one myself not the biggest fan of the navy blue default one. The rest of the GUI is similar to a fusion between Ableton and FL Studio the way the panels property is in the bottom, but the colors and flatness are very FLish.
antic604 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:57 am
I'm always excited reading about Waveform, but then I see the videos & the GUI and I lose all my enthusiasm.

Something about it throws me off every time: too much text everywhere, too "boxy" and very flat. I don't know - to me it looks like the proverbial "programmer art", i.e. art - or in this case: interface - created by the programmers to test if their stuff works.

SoundPorn
KVRist
470 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Re: Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Post Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:48 pm

Keeps getting better, I really like the way they think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-yZzGoGyc4

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
1878 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Re: Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Post Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:55 pm

SoundPorn wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:23 pm
I'm gonna be honest here. I have no idea what ur talking about or what this "programmer art" is. Maybe it's the colors. There is an option to opt for the old T6 all white GUI, I use a dark grey one myself not the biggest fan of the navy blue default one. The rest of the GUI is similar to a fusion between Ableton and FL Studio the way the panels property is in the bottom, but the colors and flatness are very FLish.
I'm not expecting anyone to "have idea" of what I'm talking about because our response to GUIs is highly subjective and personal. Just like Live's GUI is very controversial - some love it, many hate it.

I don't mean the colors - I primarily use Bitwig and Reason, both much more colorful. But maybe it's how the colors were chosen? Those other DAWs have more vibrant, lively palette while Waveform is more subdued, almost pastel. But mostly I think is the simple shapes, rectangles everywhere, lots of buttons with plain text (like the panel in bottom left). In some way it doesn't have its own character or style, it's just the simplest, most functional shapes - that's why I call it "programmer art", because it looks like no professional graphical artist or designer touched it
Bitwig 2 // Reason 10 // Cubase 10 @ Surface Pro 4
https://soundcloud.com/antic604

jjpscott01
KVRist
135 posts since 17 Jun, 2012 from East Coast US

Re: Tracktion Takeover, Waveform10, AirWindows, NAAM2019, BIOTEK GTR...

Post Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:24 pm

While I also love the look of Reason and for the most part Bitwig, I actually think the GUI Waveform has is one if its strengths for me. As soon as Tracktion became Waveform I said it had become the most visually appealing DAW out there. You're right though, its something that's extremely subjective and I know others who don't like its look. For me though it just feels clean and the flatness is actually sort of refreshing as I never feel distracted while I'm using it. I'm so excited about this release overall and honestly I cant believe how many new features were packed into this update when comparing it to previous years.
Windows 10 PC. Samplitude ProX. Studio One. Reason. Reaper. Epiphone Les Paul Trad Pro II. ESP LTD TE-212. Nektar Impact LX 49 & 25. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport. Eris E5 Monitors. Scarlett 2i2. Rode NT1. AKG perception 120. MXL 990. Simmons SDX EKit.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”