Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:49 pm not sure how useful a sustainiac will be for speed metal though? could be fun 8)
Doubles up as a doom/drone guitarrr Sunn O))), Reverend Bizarrr, e.t.c. :o

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:02 pm I take back what I said about the white Variax.. :o
That's okay I understand.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:18 am
donkey tugger wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:02 pm I take back what I said about the white Variax.. :o
That's okay I understand.
:lol:

You guys are going to pull me back in to buying guitars.
pekbro wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:06 pm I was going to buy one of these "Jeff Beck" Stratocaster for about $1700. I talked myself out
of it deciding to look into eurorack. Looking into that, it seems like a bit of a pain. At this
point I have no idea what I want to do. I very likely don't need 'another' guitar. :D

I had a Jeff Beck fascination for awhile as well. But I wanted his Tomcat (tele with SD pups) The post Yardbirds up to Wired (even though he's pictured with a Les Paul) was done on one of those. So I got an MIM Blackface Vintage Modified tele.

The Saddles were installed upside down. Obviously the intonation was way way off. The fretwork was a mess with sharp edges everywhere. The neck even though it showed the same specs as the CIC was actually fatter, and wider. The pups were generic A-5's humbuckers which... aren't that bad but they weren't anywhere near SD's I tried to like it for a long time. Cleaned everything up and then sold it during the great herd thinning.

Part of me really wants two more guitars this year. Jackson Dinky and Guild A150 Savoy.

The guild would need work.
Replace the pickguard with one that has a tone control.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad-WrJiqBRI

Still there is something magical about a 17inch jazz box that can't be recreated in a smaller one

The other part says it's time to put that all to rest and focus on my Linnstrument playing/ sharpening my notation reading skills via the LS.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I'm legendary pitiful at playing guitar. But this schecter ultra 3 strikes my fancy it appears to have a wide range of good tones. And it is RED. Would make good tonal complement to my old Parker nitefly maybe.

https://youtu.be/hRLZEL94OrI

It looks almost as gaudy as a gold hardware three pickup firebird with bigsby.

If this ultra 3 had gold or titanium anodized hardware it would be a near match to said firebird for pure 1957 Mac Daddy Cadillac appeal. But both actually seem to sound good as well as requiring sunglasses for safe visual inspection.

that schecter is tight

PurpleCatfishBettie wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:53 am that schecter is tight
I'm so out of touch that it might as well be 300 baud from Mars. Hexapodia as the Key Insight!

Yesterday somehow I thought that Schecter Ultra III is fairly recent but apparently they've been making em for several years but only one or two colors/styles at any one time. Sometimes partial gold hardware and saw an ebay listing for what looked like a full gold hardware 12 string Ultra III from sometime in the past.

For a long time admired/wanted a 3 pickup Firebird VII. Liking the sound options and appearance. Never bought one because I'm such a terrible guitar player. After all when you get right down to it, what good is happiness if it can't buy money?

That Schecter Ultra III seems to intersect a similar-to-Firebird mini-humbucker sonic venn diagram. Plus the coil taps.

Tempting. Beauty is only skin deep. Howsomever to nail the aesthetic vision perhaps ultimately embodied by a mother-of-pearl-grip gold-plated Colt 1911 engraved with baroque images of Elvis, guitars, and swirly notation symbols--

An Ultra III ought to have gold-color titanium anodized hardware. The red paint is already perfect. Ought to have top and bottom pickguards made of that swirly pearlite celluloid as seen on the gaudiest of accordions. Cream-color pearlite maybe most tasteful, but am thinking maybe purple or violet swirly pearlite. :) Just daydreaming. Unfortunately can't think up any practical location to apply tuck-and-roll naugahyde or orange fake fur.

tapper mike wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:03 pm Still there is something magical about a 17inch jazz box that can't be recreated in a smaller one
Yep...like a pain in the right shoulder on the longer gigs when you're wearing a dinner suit !

I played a pair of Guild Artist Awards for years and they were great guitars,except for that problem...

I'm 1.87 with fairly long arms and legs,so I'm not sure how a midget like Pat Martino can cope...

I replaced the Artist Awards with a pair of 16" archtops that I've been using for many for years now and they've been fine...

Like the good lady said,"It's quite amazing what a difference that extra one inch can make" :wink:

But if I had to do it all again,I would probably use 15" archtops as my workhorses...

Or just use custom made,chambered solid bodies :tu:
No auto tune...

Back in the 90's I played jazz gigs standing with a 17 inch bock. Bear in mind I'm 5'6" and 110 lbs It was like dancing with a fat lady.

As for comfort when playing a box it's all about posture.

Classical (when you like me and are too lazy to put a strap on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOxJd7xvvdk

Off the hip and up like Rich Severson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB34zhvhbvU

On rare occasion I'll use lap style the "Wes" approach to sitting with the guitar
pitched at a 45 degree angle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9USFRetFRfY

Sure all of the above feel awkward the first few times out. But if you stay the course you'll eventually adapt.

Recieved my Variax Standard on Friday. Boy, it's already been a lot of fun.
I think it will need a setup, as the E and A strings buzz a lot but other than that, it's already been a big improvement over my Epiphone. The combo of the Variax>HD500>DT25 is incredibly versatile. The first thing I tried was playing the Banjo model with the an ebow.

By the way, for those comparing the ebow and the TC Aeon, I find the Aeon pretty weak. I often have to pluck strings to get them going so that the Aeon can do it's thing, when I can easily get the ebow to excite any string on it's own.

justin3am wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:22 pmI think it will need a setup, as the E and A strings buzz a lot
It's possible that the A and E strings are too low gauge compared to the tension from the other strings. I often find that new guitars are strung with thinner E strings than they really need.

If you have a set of accurate calipers, you can use this site to check if your strings are well matched:

http://stringtensionpro.com/
Sweet child in time...

Honestly not good idea to change the string gauges on a variax.

JTV's are intended for 10's Standards are intended for 09's

Here's why. The piezo on the saddle is NOT adjustable. While you can lower the output of the string via the app.... If If you hit a heavier gauge string with anything above a light attack it will cause clipping because the output is too high from the source.

Only if (and you can't) somehow lower the piezo down into the saddle can you lower the outpit from the source. There is no trim control before it hits the modeling architecture.

Even for a relatively small change in gauge?
Sweet child in time...

tapper mike wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:22 am Honestly not good idea to change the string gauges on a variax.

JTV's are intended for 10's Standards are intended for 09's

Here's why. The piezo on the saddle is NOT adjustable. While you can lower the output of the string via the app.... If If you hit a heavier gauge string with anything above a light attack it will cause clipping because the output is too high from the source.

Only if (and you can't) somehow lower the piezo down into the saddle can you lower the outpit from the source. There is no trim control before it hits the modeling architecture.
Pretty sure I read on the Line 6 site that the Standard comes with 10-46 as well.

Because I like to f**k about I did try a set of 11s and it was fine. Changed back to 10-52s eventually and again all works fine. I think within certain limits you're ok.

I don't know anything about string gauges. I guess I will have to spend some time looking into that.
When it comes to working on guitars and bass, I prefer to have some one else help me. Unless it's the electronic components, it's just outside of my expertise. I could learn but I'd rather drop it off at the shop and let someone knowledgeable do the work. I don't think I've ever used anything other than the Slinky Strings in the neon green package for guitar and D'Adarrio XLs for bass.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”