Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT

Ghostwave wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:11 pm Surge is an excellent synth and features what is IMO the best and easiest modulation architecture. It's just so easy to assign multiple parameters to LFOs and such while keeping a very clean and informative interface.
ain't that the truth. when i got to the modulation matrix and realized that you can bind a LFO rate to control another LFO's rate and that there are 6 LFOs and 6 SLFOs for a total of 12 LFOs.. ridiculousness.

And the audio-input and stuff. this is hands down the nicest softsynth for certain types of mutilated modulations that i have. so glad to have it for renoise, live and logic. and now that the user-made presets are stored on the mac at ~/Documents/Surge I can just write a preset on one computer and continue with it on the other computer without any issues. really glad this has been opensourced, thanks a lot, kurasu!

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:44 pm No VST2 to test but with the 1.7. AU in Logic preset saving is not working properly, if I give a patch a new name then edit another field like Category or creator it reverts the name to what it was originally (eg Init SAW) - does the same with category changes - also it changes the Creator to the same name as the patch when reloaded.

Also I can't see where the preset has been saved to - there is nothing in the folder 'patches_user' so not sure where they have gone.
Interim fix for making sure your patches are called properly:
When you click on Name, type in a name, then press Tab. then type in category. Then press Tab. then type in author. Then press Tab. then type in contact/details/comments. then press Shift-Tab.

Now click on "OK". left-mouse-button-click will simply dump out the written-in-text and put it back to "Init".

There's a ticket about this, and it'll hopefully be fixed soon, it's a bit of a hairy bug.

the user-saved-presets on mac are saved to ~/Documents/Surge

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:47 am

hi aMUSEd, the preset saving focus issue has been fixed and is now available in the newest builds (january 12th 2019 or newer)

there's also a #macpackages channel on the Surge Synth Slack
https://join.slack.com/t/surgesynth/sha ... mNhYzQ3NTU

Hi guys, there's now a re-done original-skin of Surge made with vector gfx so it is much more legible and overall looks better. that's thanks to all the great work by davep (itsmedavep) and baconpaul got done by working together.

A zoomable interface, while not here yet, is definitely on the horizon.

Does anyone know a 32-bit guy who would be interested in making Surge build on Windows + Linux + macOSX as a 32-bit plugin? would be lovely. Any help would be much appreciated.

The github repository has moved to http://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge also.

esaruoho wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:40 pm

hi aMUSEd, the preset saving focus issue has been fixed and is now available in the newest builds (january 12th 2019 or newer)

Thanks is that from the Slack site or the Github one?

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:13 pm
esaruoho wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:40 pm

Thanks is that from the Slack site or the Github one?
Hi, for now the #macpackages channel on Slack will always have the newest build with newest features. The new website is progressing quickly though. And there is a re-do of the Classic Surge skin where it has been made almost 1:1 from scratch using vectors - or - to put it in a different way:
“new graphics replicates the original skin with scalable bitmaps”

No zoom yet but they are working on it. Gui looks much clearer/more precise. So grab the newest one via Slack :)

Anyone happen to know anyone who would be interested in devoting some time to finding out how to build a 32-bit macOS VST2/VST3/AU of Surge?

Btw, newest builds are nowadays available at https://surge-synthesizer.github.io - you might want to check out the Menu on the bottom right corner for experimental Zoom features.

Hmmm, I downloaded Windows installer from github.io page, and installed. For some reason, VST3 wasn't recognized by Reaper, and VST2 loaded as bridged plugin - isn't the installer supposed to have 64-bit plugins inside?

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:26 pm Hmmm, I downloaded Windows installer from github.io page, and installed. For some reason, VST3 wasn't recognized by Reaper, and VST2 loaded as bridged plugin - isn't the installer supposed to have 64-bit plugins inside?
Hi EvilDragon - thanks for joining the Slack, too.

Currently the Surge Windows 64 installer package erraneously installs a Windows 32 VST2+VST3 :) this is being worked on -- to separate the folders they are built to, so that we can, in the near future, provide windows 32-bit VST2,VST3 installer and windows 64-bit VST2,VST3 installer.

I hope this'll be done before end of next week, and hope that it can be taken care of during this weekend. Getting fully functioning 32-bit VST2,VST3 has been requested by many on the windows side so it's like a really good thing - except slightly confusing to get a 32-bit version when downloading a 64-bit version.

p.s. there also seems to be some rumors of people having gotten Surge to build on Linux, so all kinds of stuff is afoot.

Yep, thanks for help over Slack!

esaruoho wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:10 pmp.s. there also seems to be some rumors of people having gotten Surge to build on Linux, so all kinds of stuff is afoot.
awesome!!

Hey there!
Probably will do a skin for it :)
Cheers!
Nick Moritz
Sound Design, Music Production

runray wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:52 pm Hey there!
Probably will do a skin for it :)
Hi Nick Moritz! Sounds cool! There's lots of UI/GUI design talk at the Surge Synth Slack channel #design - so if you do use Slack, please join via https://join.slack.com/t/surgesynth/sha ... mNhYzQ3NTU

tor.helge.skei wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:54 pm
esaruoho wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:10 pmp.s. there also seems to be some rumors of people having gotten Surge to build on Linux, so all kinds of stuff is afoot.
awesome!!
I had the opportunity to test a Linux build (not made by me). Promising, but there are small graphics bugs and a major annoyance : most presets won't load. The first time you load a preset, it generally works, but when you want to change for another one, no way (99% of the cases).
You can't always get what you waaaant...

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”