Audio Programming Environment 0.3 - x32/x64 on win + mac (vst/au)!

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I was working with APE I created a little Lua script to merge my files.

If you want you can even invoke a C compiler to translate the C++ into plain C so you are in essence making a build specifically for APE, which is a much more sophisticated alternative to my manual concatenation approach.

Fluky wrote:
Mayae wrote:I assume you #include the test file in the ape script, then (post it?). As APE doesn't natively support multiple translation units, you either have to pass the .c file as an additional argument to TCC, or compile it to a object file / shared object / dynamic library, and pass it via the args in the config file.
It's included.

I tried adding:

Code: Select all

arguments = "-c ctest.c";
to config.cfg under "compiler:" under "c:" under "languages:".

Problem persists. I don't even see if it generated a ctest.o file. Not at least into the same folder as the .c.

Maybe the path to ctest.c is wrong?
I've tinkered with it a bit, and must admit I can't get it working. It doesn't help TCC doesn't give any information output (unless something goes wrong, I guess missing files isn't worth a diagnostic). I've checked that TCC actually recieves the commandline (it does, stuff like -Dsym=8 works). But the source code for TCC is really a huge mess and I kinda gave up when I couldn't even find the definition for tcc_set_options() which is the command line hook, which would be the next investigation step.

My guess is that TCC silently ignores (or only considers a subset of) certain command-line switches, when working in library mode.

However, if you wanted to compile the additional file anyway, you can just #include the source file directly in the APE script anyway - you're only dealing with a single translation unit, so you can't get multiple definition errors anyway.

BTW, something about the "product placement" of APE:

It's not that cumbersome to develop in WDL-OL. I don't know about JUCE development, but WDL-OL is really simple (I think it's almost like writing HTML+CSS, even while it's C++, because the library is so reasonable I think). Once it's set up on your computer (the setup is trivial on Windows, but takes some effort on OS X because of missing Xcode support for legacy OSes).

It's so fast that I don't really see much benefit from e.g. having Python bindings. Unless it's for trying out complicated algorithms without messing with even more complicated C++ expression of the algorithm.

APE is great though in the sense that one doesn't need to go through building the plug-in and then running a DAW to test it. Rather one can compile while running the DAW.

But APE misses a lot (perhaps) if it doesn't allow for actual development of plug-ins as well, not just prototyping.

Hi! Any news here?
best!

lalo wrote:Hi! Any news here?
best!
Hi, once I'm done with the next version of Signalizer this is on the top of the list. Many quality-of-life changes to come.

Otherwise, I mainly just update the repository with examples once in a while:
https://bitbucket.org/Mayae/ape-snippets

great! thanks

Hello there, I'm interested in having a look at this, I see that some time has passed since the last post. Whats the current status on this project?

mrj1nx wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:30 am Hello there, I'm interested in having a look at this, I see that some time has passed since the last post. Whats the current status on this project?
Hi J1nx,

Bad news is I decided to rewrite pretty much all of it, so it can integrate better with my other pet projects. Good news is I'm almost done :) Additionally, some fun new features includes:

- Bleeding edge C++ compiler based on clang/llvm
- Built in oscilloscope to probe signal expressions in code
- Parameter automation
- Better (maybe?) UI with dockable components, resizable windows bla bla
- Much simpler, much faster and more expressive scripting system
- Linux support

Refer to download links here please: http://jthorborg.com/index.html?ipage=ape
Note that this is for the 4-5 year old version.

If anyone is eager to try the new version (Windows only right now), and willing to bleed a little with me just reach out.

Mayae wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:45 am Hi J1nx,

Bad news is I decided to rewrite pretty much all of it, so it can integrate better with my other pet projects. Good news is I'm almost done :) Additionally, some fun new features includes:

- Bleeding edge C++ compiler based on clang/llvm
- Built in oscilloscope to probe signal expressions in code
- Parameter automation
- Better (maybe?) UI with dockable components, resizable windows bla bla
- Much simpler, much faster and more expressive scripting system
- Linux support
:love: :tu: :party: :party:

Sounds cool!

I'm gonna have to wait for a mac version down the line. I dont have any win devices here.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”