Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

Koshdukai wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:45 pm
Koshdukai wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:37 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:27 pm Yes but I have bad eyes. I'll figure it out.
oh ok, sorry then :/

If you don't figure it out by the time I come back home, I'll do it step-by-step. Should be easier to follow that way :)
See if this helps then (made it in a hurry, sorry)

https://youtu.be/in8YjMSu-04
Thanks. I figured out what I was doing wrong. It was one connection that I had in a wrong hole. Bad eyes will do you in every time.

Cinebient wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:24 pm In modulars like P900 or Model 15 f.e. it just works to switch every preset from mono/legato to 4 or 8 voices via one click. In this case the plug-in just make the moduls polyphonic which makes sense and others (like LFO, reverb f.e.) stay global.
I like polyphonic LFOs as well but you also can do this if wanted.
THIS is what I had in mind for making Voltage Modular polyphonic.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:37 am
Cinebient wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:24 pm In modulars like P900 or Model 15 f.e. it just works to switch every preset from mono/legato to 4 or 8 voices via one click. In this case the plug-in just make the moduls polyphonic which makes sense and others (like LFO, reverb f.e.) stay global.
I like polyphonic LFOs as well but you also can do this if wanted.
THIS is what I had in mind for making Voltage Modular polyphonic.
But on a closed modular environment (with no 3rd party modules) it's kinda easier to implement, I think, since every module is designed early on to fit a pre-planned architecture and every possibility is tested to check if it actually works (within this closed environment).

It's a bit different when dealing with "open" module architectures where any module can be made up/built and put in the weirdest and unplanned places on a audio and/or modulation path.

It would be hard to make any free-form-modular with 3rd-party modules work in polyphonic-mode at a flip of a switch without issues.

Even on controlled environments, it's always better (from a design & user POV) to keep the multi-instantiation section (where all the audio+mod path is auto-magically multiplied by X voices, 1 per note OSC+Envs+Filters, etc, tipically) clearly separate from the "mono"/unique instanced section, where we expected to see global LFOs, Envs, FX, etc.

KarmaFX does this through one of the Note input modules, where anything up to it can be "magically" multi-instanced but from it onward is global/unique.

In case of VM, I still think it's properly thought out and implemented, for the kind of modular environment that it is, eurorack-styled, open to 3rd-party modules that can be as wacky as they want, any will fit the 3 existing plug-types: traditional mono signals (CV/Audio), MIDI (data) and PolyCV/Audio "virtually multiplexed" signals.

There's some "adapter" modules missing in this 3-type plug/cable environment but I don't think there's any impossible conversions between them, at the moment, even if using less elegant paths/module-groups to achieve it.

To celeebrate scoring a contract, and relieving some GAS, I picked up the VULT bundle. The Vult modules are really good and provide yet another dimension to VM! :phones:

For those having problems with crackling, this is what I noticed.

Just did a patch that was crackling really bad. Closed the GUI to do something in the DAW but kept playing and the crackling stopped. I've tested this over and over and there is no question, at least on my system. The crackling is caused by playing complex patches with the GUI open. Maybe it's my graphics card that doesn't play well with VM. Don't know. All I know is if I close the GUI, the crackling stops.

Something for Cherry Audio to look into.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:32 pm Maybe it's my graphics card that doesn't play well with VM. Don't know. All I know is if I close the GUI, the crackling stops.
With OpenGL ON or OFF? Or it doesn't matter?

IME, you can improve performance a lot by disabling the UI animations, the signal animation in particular.
Another obvious thing in the case of poly cv, is to reduce the number of voices. Definitely, the 3rd party
effects cost way more cpu than the core stuff as well.

*The signal animation should probably have a quick toggle option actually.

Koshdukai wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:38 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:32 pm Maybe it's my graphics card that doesn't play well with VM. Don't know. All I know is if I close the GUI, the crackling stops.
With OpenGL ON or OFF? Or it doesn't matter?
I have no idea if OpenGL is on or off nor do I know how to switch it on or off.

^^^
it's an option in VM's Settings > interface.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

On complex patches the crackling doesn’t start for me until I start scrolling around with my mouse. Then I get an odd message from logic saying that the external instrument (VM, I assume) is operating at a different sample rate than Logic. It’s super weird
Last edited by W23 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here's a good example of the performance issues I have. I am running Logic on a 2010 macpro 12-core 3GHz. I just bought the Vult bundle and put this patch together. bastically a little mono synth at the top that outputs in parallel to each of the 8 Vult modules. Those go into the mixer and out. Its all mono.

This patch won't play without severe crackle. Even with the GUI closed. Its worse with openGL support off (better with it on).

This doesn't seem right to me, that such a patch would consume so much CPU. :phones:

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 12.20.38 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

plexuss wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:37 am Here's a good example of the performance issues I have. I am running Logic on a 2010 macpro 12-core 3GHz. I just bought the Vult bundle and put this patch together. bastically a little mono synth at the top that outputs in parallel to each of the 8 Vult modules. Those go into the mixer and out. Its all mono.

This patch won't play without severe crackle. Even with the GUI closed. Its worse with openGL support off (better with it on).

This doesn't seem right to me, that such a patch would consume so much CPU. :phones:

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 12.20.38 AM.jpg
Out of interest, what happens if you load the patch in the standalone version ?

Btw, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that 11 of your 12 cores are doing sfa with VM :(
Last edited by lnikj on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There are definitely some GPU spikes whilst it is running:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EzyfTY ... sp=sharing

lnikj wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:47 am
plexuss wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:37 am Here's a good example [snip...]
Out of interest, what happens if you load the patch in the standalone version ?
Btw, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that 11 of your 12 cores are doing sfa with VM :(
In the audio settings if Playback is selected it worse than Playback & Live which makes sense. Doesn't Playback & Live use multiple cores if possible? Anyway yes. And when run stand-alone there is no improvement.

Cherry are you looking into multi-core support? It's kind of needed with a platform like this where the complexity is not bounded. Creating a mono patch such as I did and not be able to use it makes VM not that useful. :dog:

Are they better than Reaktor Blocks?

Return to “Instruments”