Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

On the subject of the actual plugin itself.....

Has anyone tried 1.2 and found it to be more CPU demanding ?

I recently had a new studio computer built and while I did install the older version of Thorn right away I have not spent time with it due to focus on other synths.

So I can't compare how the older version and 1.2 perform in regards to CPU usage. If anybody is thinking of doing the upgrade can you please run a quick test with the older version and then run the same test after you install the update ?

Let me know if there is any difference in CPU demand in the newer version. There is a Plugin Alliance gui "extension" at the bottom so I don't know if there is anything going on in the background that might impact performance.

It could very well be there is absolutely no difference in demand but I don't remember the patches I created on the previous version using as much CPU on my older less powerful studio computer (all other settings are the same... ASIO driver,Latency, DAW, etc ).

Anyway if someone would be so kind to run the test I would appreciate it a great deal. If for some reason there is a difference in demand then we can report it and go from there. If there is no difference then we can chalk it up to my failing memory. Thanks in advance. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

thejonsolo wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:03 pm I have no issue paying a small fee to get the ball rolling...yet I WILL expect some discount for V2 of any future products. Additionally, there should be access to PAST versions, at least for a time period so that no one is left out of the loop. (And really there should be NO time cutoff for the upgrade path.)

To some extent, I am almost grateful for this transition...not because of DS or PA, or anything related to them. I am grateful that this is not another Camel Alchemy debacle (not going to rehash again, I promise). Sadly I feel that event set a precedence for the way a company could potentially do business, and the way entire user bases could be eliminated in the process.

Neither DS nor PA are cutting us off. For less than the price of a good lunch (free with a voucher) you not only get an update, you get three preset packs, and connected for a (promised) more efficient future-proof path.
You expect a discount for v2 and other DS poducts but the fact is no one knows. We're left in the clear. Maybe the upgrade prizes are steep. If $19 for some bug fixes is acceptable to you then a 5% discount might as well.

Being grateful for this transition because it didn't (yet) turned out in a debacle with another product is not an argument. "That one was worse so thus one is good." Why not compare it to transitions that went great and come to the conclusion this transition of DS to PA sucks.

I don't know where you eat your lunches but here they are not that expensive. But apart from that, I don't have a voucher (as many others don't) and I already have the preset packs. So $19 for only a few bug fixes is not a deal. Why do we users have to pay for the transition costs anyway, because that's what DS told in his email (which I read here on KVR)?

DS is cutting us off literally because his website went up in smoke. PA also doesn't give any useful information about all this on their website. A lot of users are not informed by email either. Communication is flawed on so many levels. This transition is already a new debacle.

mutantdog wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:56 pmI can confirm that the code works. I got the same email and had only bought Tantra previously, perhaps the database got mixed up...?
Thank you. That's remarkable and most likely an error.

I should go to the market place and sell my coupon right now. :D

elassi wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:04 pm
mutantdog wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:56 pmI can confirm that the code works. I got the same email and had only bought Tantra previously, perhaps the database got mixed up...?

EDIT: Sorry, scratch that; my logic was way off.
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Razzia wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:43 pm Here's what he said: For Thorn owners whose coupons expired, write to him and he will issue another personal coupon
That's more like it.
Next responsable thing to do would be to restore the site and online access to older versions. ( pre 1.2).
Last edited by Stefken on Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:06 pm

Will give you $25 for it. Subject to it working of course.
Deal. Let's PM on this.

Stefken wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:08 pm Next responsable thing to do would be to restore the site and online access to older versions. ( pre 1.2).
I highly doubt that this will happen. After all, the upgrade fee is also to pay the servers and architecture PA provides.

chk071 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:11 pm
Stefken wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:08 pm Next responsable thing to do would be to restore the site and online access to older versions. ( pre 1.2).
I highly doubt that this will happen. After all, the upgrade fee is also to pay the servers and architecture PA provides.
At least enough time should be provided so that existing users get the chance to download the 1.1 version.
Deleting your site is very unprofessional...

Rivanni wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:01 pm
thejonsolo wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:03 pm I have no issue paying a small fee to get the ball rolling...yet I WILL expect some discount for V2 of any future products. Additionally, there should be access to PAST versions, at least for a time period so that no one is left out of the loop. (And really there should be NO time cutoff for the upgrade path.)

To some extent, I am almost grateful for this transition...not because of DS or PA, or anything related to them. I am grateful that this is not another Camel Alchemy debacle (not going to rehash again, I promise). Sadly I feel that event set a precedence for the way a company could potentially do business, and the way entire user bases could be eliminated in the process.

Neither DS nor PA are cutting us off. For less than the price of a good lunch (free with a voucher) you not only get an update, you get three preset packs, and connected for a (promised) more efficient future-proof path.
You expect a discount for v2 and other DS poducts but the fact is no one knows. We're left in the clear. Maybe the upgrade prizes are steep. If $19 for some bug fixes is acceptable to you then a 5% discount might as well.

Being grateful for this transition because it didn't (yet) turned out in a debacle with another product is not an argument. "That one was worse so thus one is good." Why not compare it to transitions that went great and come to the conclusion this transition of DS to PA sucks.

I don't know where you eat your lunches but here they are not that expensive. But apart from that, I don't have a voucher (as many others don't) and I already have the preset packs. So $19 for only a few bug fixes is not a deal. Why do we users have to pay for the transition costs anyway, because that's what DS told in his email (which I read here on KVR)?

DS is cutting us off literally because his website went up in smoke. PA also doesn't give any useful information about all this on their website. A lot of users are not informed by email either. Communication is flawed on so many levels. This transition is already a new debacle.
He emailed me about his site and the link for Thorn 1.10 and he said that he was updating the site and that a legit link for Thorn 1.10 will be provided permantly for the licence holders who chose not to update and migrate to PA. The licence for 1.10 will be valid for the rest of time and wont expire.. but it won't be updated either on his site further. . Updates will only be on the PA site

I think it's pretty obvious that Dmitry's website has been hacked, I doubt he would send people to spam sites voluntarily.

Just installed the PA version over the old version on my Mac just to see what happens. The old version has to be removed, or else Logic simply thinks it has two similar editions of Thorn. So I just deleted all old Thorn files, rebooted my Mac and Logic finds the PA version without problems.

I also reinstalled the three Touch The Universe preset collections (Serene Galaxy, Worlds, Universe) and they work beautifully with the PA edition.

Just firing up Thorn and playing with the presets makes me warm and fuzzy.
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

elassi wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Deal. Let's PM on this.
So people are going to take advantage of an error but then cry about the morality of what DS/PA did ? This world is so f**ked..........
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

chk071 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:11 pm
DS wrote to me
"I'm very sorry for the lack of the information,
I'll update the website very soon with the actual information and steps on how to proceed."

And also
"We'll not charge for any minor Thorn update in future, as well I'll try my best to offer free updates for future Diversion 2 and Tantra 2, otherwise provide a much better and user-friendly offer."

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote:He actually did that to his website? Wow.
Has nobody here heard of hackers?
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Teksonik wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:17 pm
elassi wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Deal. Let's PM on this.
So people are going to take advantage of an error but then cry about the morality of what DS/PA did ? This world is so f**ked..........
Do the math, smart ass. If I keep my coupon (because I won't upgrade) there will be no $19 turn-over for DS/PA. Instead, by handing out my voucher they not only get their 19 bucks but also a new customer.

Return to “Instruments”