DS Audio joins Plugin Alliance

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sureno wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:54 pm Ok bought this from plugin boutique, not received transfer coupon, anyone else?
Yes, me too.

Greenstorm33 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:01 am I've got high hopes for Diversion 2.
Me too.. Just afraid how much will it cost for V1 owners.. Another 19$ for transfer and upgrade price that may be overpriced like Thorn is now?

$19 would be a steel for Diversion 2. Thorn is a .2 release not 2.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

How do you get the 1.2 update?
There is no info on PA site. Only full version purchase.

You buy that and copy paste your transfer code that you should've received in email. Then download the full product with their downloader/installer what ever it is...

dionenoid wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:41 amIn that price range it also has to compete with Serum, Spire, Sylenth and Synthmaster for example. All of them much more versatile (and much better sounding imo) synths with better built-in fx, loads more factory presets and huge amounts of sounds available...
I wouldn't quite go that far. Sylenth 1 is the king of one-trick ponies and it's one trick isn't'anything I consider worthwhile. I wouldn't install it if it was free. I also put very little value in versatility, given that I can have 1000 different VSTi if I want or need them. It's more important with hardware, where there are definite limitations on how many you can have running together, but in software I prefer more narrowly focussed tools most of the time. e.g. There is only one kind of sound I use Massive for, it's the only kind of sound I would even think about using it for, and I'm fine with that.

Beyond that, I prefer Thorn's sound to any of the other synths on your list and it's effects are just about the best I've ever heard on any synth, especially its distortion. It's also one of the easiest VSTi's to work with, which is really important to me. I also prefer fewer presets, not more, so Thorn wins for me there, too. e.g. I just bought RePro and going through the presets now, so many of them are just variations on a few themes, two-thirds of them are a waste of space and my time.

Since we bought Thorn last year, it's inspired so many new ideas that we joked that we might have to call our next album "Thorn", just to give credit where it's due. But at $199 I wouldn't have even bothered trying the demo.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

What a badly managed operation is this transition to Plugin Alliance.
Just received the following mail:

Information for buyers of Icarus and Pathogen for Dmitry Sches Thorn, otherwise please disregard.

Hi all,
You may have seen the recent email from Dmitry announcing his shift with Thorn to Plugin Alliance. If you choose to upgrade to the 1.2 Plugin Alliance version please be aware that, because of a change in the storage location for the presets with no checking on the old location, any presets you have stored other than the factory ones will disappear once you upgrade.
It's just a case of moving the presets to the new location, they are still there, but I am in communication with Dmitry to see if they can resolve this within the plugin.
I'll keep you updated, if you have the issue please get in touch with either PA or myself, I don't yet know the new preset location but PA should be able to talk you through shifting the presets (and presumably the samples) to where they now expect them to be...
Sorry for any inconvenience!

All the best,
Greg.
Empty Vessel.

Why the hell weren‘t they at Plugin Alliance better prepared??

BONES wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:18 am
dionenoid wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:41 amIn that price range it also has to compete with Serum, Spire, Sylenth and Synthmaster for example. All of them much more versatile (and much better sounding imo) synths with better built-in fx, loads more factory presets and huge amounts of sounds available...
I wouldn't quite go that far. Sylenth 1 is the king of one-trick ponies and it's one trick isn't'anything I consider worthwhile. I wouldn't install it if it was free. I also put very little value in versatility, given that I can have 1000 different VSTi if I want or need them. It's more important with hardware, where there are definite limitations on how many you can have running together, but in software I prefer more narrowly focussed tools most of the time. e.g. There is only one kind of sound I use Massive for, it's the only kind of sound I would even think about using it for, and I'm fine with that.

Beyond that, I prefer Thorn's sound to any of the other synths on your list and it's effects are just about the best I've ever heard on any synth, especially its distortion. It's also one of the easiest VSTi's to work with, which is really important to me. I also prefer fewer presets, not more, so Thorn wins for me there, too. e.g. I just bought RePro and going through the presets now, so many of them are just variations on a few themes, two-thirds of them are a waste of space and my time.
Long story short : i couldn't disagree with you more... :wink:
BONES wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:18 am Since we bought Thorn last year, it's inspired so many new ideas that we joked that we might have to call our next album "Thorn", just to give credit where it's due. But at $199 I wouldn't have even bothered trying the demo.
If other people would do that, probably 80% of all EDM albums would be called "Sylenth" :D
More BPM please

Don't know if this has been asked before. Now when DS been going in under PA, does it mean that Thorn will now only be sold thru PA? If so, what will happen to any potential updates? Will it only be updated thru PA now?

I have Tantra, Thorn and Diversion. I didn't go for the 19$ update to PA version because I don't see the point, but if all future updates of Thorn will be thru PA then it changes the game.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:22 pm Will it only be updated thru PA now?
Yes

Kr3eM wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:29 pm
Yes
Okay, thanks for the confirmation.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:30 pm
Kr3eM wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:29 pm
Yes
Okay, thanks for the confirmation.
...and my guess is that updates will stop happening. I can't remember the last time a plugin I bought from PA was updated... I can't think of one. Can any of you tell me if PA plugins do get updates and if so how often?
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

I imagine it's mostly up to the dev. BYOME is supposed to receive a bugfix update at some point because it had some issues at launch.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

They have a QA program, the devs create the update, PA decides when to release them. Typically many months after the update was delivered. In other words, another moronic situation with PA.

One thing I've always liked about Dmitry was how responsive he was with bugfixes and minor updates. When Thorn came out, within a week there was an update, notably addressing the complaints about GUI size. Many more updates rolled out very quickly over the next couple of months. Same thing with Tantra and presumably the same with Diversion. I can't imagine that happening with PA unfortunately, more likely several months before even one update.

Return to “Instruments”