Logic Pro X alternative

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The backlash against FCPX was severe. Literally everyone complained about it. Even when Apple did the USB-C-only move with the MacBooks, there were still about a 1/3 of people saying it was "cool." I don't see them doing that with Logic Pro X.

Ploki wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:24 pm I have Pro Tools (11.5) and Cubase (7.5) but i hate them both, together with their licensing methods.

Since Apple is doing god knows what the f**k, i'm exploring alternatives since you never know when Apple pulls the plug or pulls a FCPX on us (and essentially renders Logic useless for two or three years).
That is not going to happen... Logic Pro X is already the equivalent of FCP-X and they learned from the Final Cut switch. You really don't have to worry. If you are happy with Logic (and all the amazing free updates we get) then just stick with it and make music.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:31 pm That is not going to happen... Logic Pro X is already the equivalent of FCP-X and they learned from the Final Cut switch. You really don't have to worry. If you are happy with Logic (and all the amazing free updates we get) then just stick with it and make music.
Logic was never rewritten from scratch as FCPX was (and all other Mac productivity apps that weren't dropped)

i'm happy yeah, more i played with alternatives less appealing they are. :/

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:31 pm
Ploki wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:24 pm I have Pro Tools (11.5) and Cubase (7.5) but i hate them both, together with their licensing methods.

Since Apple is doing god knows what the f**k, i'm exploring alternatives since you never know when Apple pulls the plug or pulls a FCPX on us (and essentially renders Logic useless for two or three years).
That is not going to happen... Logic Pro X is already the equivalent of FCP-X and they learned from the Final Cut switch. You really don't have to worry. If you are happy with Logic (and all the amazing free updates we get) then just stick with it and make music.
I mean there is a chance. The always prevalent issue is how SMALL Logic is to a company as large as Apple in the Big Picture. They Don't need Logic to be who they are. However I don't see either Logic OR FC being Discontinued. If they did then I'd start to worry about the Mac itself as Apples professional software being included for such Low prices (Compared to the rest of their Industries) is a big selling point of the product for Pro Users.
I wouldn't panic yet. For all we know XI could be on its way soon.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Ploki wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:37 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:31 pm That is not going to happen... Logic Pro X is already the equivalent of FCP-X and they learned from the Final Cut switch. You really don't have to worry. If you are happy with Logic (and all the amazing free updates we get) then just stick with it and make music.
Logic was never rewritten from scratch as FCPX was (and all other Mac productivity apps that weren't dropped)

i'm happy yeah, more i played with alternatives less appealing they are. :/
That is because they are doing it piece by piece... they learned from FCPX

Spencer Maddox wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:42 pm
I mean there is a chance. The always prevalent issue is how SMALL Logic is to a company as large as Apple in the Big Picture. They Don't need Logic to be who they are. However I don't see either Logic OR FC being Discontinued. If they did then I'd start to worry about the Mac itself as Apples professional software being included for such Low prices (Compared to the rest of their Industries) is a big selling point of the product for Pro Users.
Exceedingly small chance... Apple is coming out in the next year with their new Mac Pro. No way they are going to do something drastic to LPX or FCPX anytime soon which would cause people to not buy the shiny new hardware.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:47 pm

Exceedingly small chance... Apple is coming out in the next year with their new Mac Pro. No way they are going to do something drastic to LPX or FCPX anytime soon which would cause people to not buy the shiny new hardware.
a full retina overhaul wouldn't hurt anyone tho

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:47 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:42 pm
Yea. That might be why there was no 10.5 at Namm. they could be Dropping a Big Update WITH the Mac Pro. But this is just my wishful thinking :hihi:

last mac pro was pretty much a video machine :/

Ploki wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:12 pm last mac pro was pretty much a video machine :/
Yeah...
With Ipads that cost nearly 2K Bending Like Paper, That extremely serious Face-Time Glitch that made National Headlines, the Controversial new-gen Macbooks STILL having problems (Displays this time), and the Stock falling as people aren't buying the extremely expensive XS, I have my Questions about what exactly is going on with Apple right now , or even many decisions in the Cook era period.

Only issue is I love Mac OS sooooooooo much (and Logic) so they haven't pushed me to switch to Windows yet.
I really Hope they Hit a Home Run with the Mac Pro...
Make It Modular, Make It powerful, and make it Functional. Thats what the People want.

Logic is great, from your own descriptions I would say you're looking at Studio One or Digital Performer. I'm partial to DP. I own LogicX, DP9, Live 10 and Reaper. I mostly use DP9. I'm not gonna say it's because it's the "best" that's a subjective opinion, I will say I feel like it's a great middle ground compared to the other three.

I stay in MIDI for a long time, have multiple MIDI control surfaces and a couple hardware synths. Live doesn't do SysEx so it's IMO a PITA with hardware synths that can do SysEx, since it's easy to store the sound you're using in a sequence if the DAW can do SysEx. Logic doesn't differentiate by port for software instruments, so assigning multiple soft and hardware synths in Logic becomes a little dance. Reaper is great, it's also cluttered looking really quickly, same with Live, I have no idea how people don't get headaches looking at it when they use over 24 tracks?? Love them both to death for work on material that's 16 tracks or so though.

DP is cluttered if you keep the software instruments in the Sequence. You have a choice to put them in a virtual rack, the trade off is you're stuck with MIDI assigning CC's to instruments using hardware for automation as opposed to track automation. It's up to you how much of a hassle this is.

Logic's other elephant in the room, AU, not as updated as VSTi's it's a hassle or impossible to get MIDI out from software instruments like Maschine, MPC, Reaktor etc.

Anyway, I've jumped ship a few times, and they're all great for various reason and all are a PITA for others. Another example is MPE, Live and DP don't do MPE, although someone wrote a Python script for auto assigning 16 tracks to a MPE instrument in Live, and DP has Track Assignments, Create Tracks, and Folders which make the process trivial. Both have multiple MIDI tracks in their edit windows so it's not impossible.

I guess I'm saying pick your poison, what are the parts of a DAW that would bother you into not using it? what are trivial to you and don't matter? I wanted to be able to assign an MPE instrument to my Seaboard Block, while using the MPK88 to switch between another soft synth and my hardware synths, that's not as easy in Logic, although it has easier MPE capability.

machinesworking wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:02 am
Logic's other elephant in the room, AU, not as updated as VSTi's it's a hassle or impossible to get MIDI out from software instruments like Maschine, MPC, Reaktor etc.
Totally agree that AU's MIDI deficiencies are a drag; WHAT were they thinking, and WHY is this still unfixed?!?!

But just in case anyone else is unaware, Reaktor6 at least has for quite some time been available as an AU MIDI FX, and works great in Logic, just like any other of the many great built-in and 3rd party MIDI FX. There's a very useful thread on these here:
viewtopic.php?t=483854

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:06 pm Come to Bitwig. The water is warm here.
Because many guys are peeing into it? :scared:

Just to weigh on on some of the comments above:

Logic doesn't need to be "rewritten", it's always had a modern codebase (it's usually the first of the large apps to support forward-looking changes - PPC -> Intel, 32 -> 64 Bits etc etc). It just needs work bit by bit to update some of the old legacy stuff, which is happening (not as fast as some would like of course).

Final Cut Pro *had* to be rewritten - it was written against old, out of date dead-end frameworks. FCP was great in it's day, but it aged because it was a victim of an old end-of-life 32-Bit/Carbon code base. Given that they basically had to re-architect it from scratch *anyway*, rather than just rebuild what they already had with a new architecture, they took an opportunity to rethink what a video editor might be and see if they could find a better way (especially as FCP was designed back in the 90s, and the video landscape was pretty different back then!)

Apple's mistake really was I believe in the initial marketing of FCPX, *not* it's development as such. From their marketing messages, people thought FCPX was going to be the new super-powerful FCP replacement, and then were shocked that it was a) different, and b) couldn't do many things that people required for their work. That gave rise to a complicated situation for FCP users who relied on it for work, but whom couldn't run it anymore on anything but old machines.

These days, all those features (and more) are there in FCPX, and by far the majority of folks that rejected FCPX at first (for understandable reasons) have gone back on that judgement and think it's pretty great now - and have for some time. The only ones that really don't like are those that just couldn't let go of the more prevalent existing editor workflow - and most of those went to Premiere or Avid, and they are happy enough.

Having worked extensively with the old Final Cut Pro, and also FCPX, I can tell you that *many* things in FCP were *dreadful* from a usability point of view, even though back in the day I did really like the app. FCPX is so much better, faster, more powerful it's unbelievable. Particularly in cataloging and media management, it's a *dream* compared to the old days.

FCPX is really great, and so is Logic. In fact Logic has never been better - and I've used it since Notator Logic 1.x (and Creator/Notator before that). Perfect? No? Are there things in there that really should be changed, or fixed by now? Sure. Is that true of all other of the big, heavyweight DAWs - pretty much. We all have our pet laundry list of things we'd like to see improve (although Apple have done many items from my personal list over the last few years...).

well written

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”