Some Praise For U-He Presswerk!

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
4tune
KVRian
916 posts since 7 Nov, 2003

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:35 pm

I jumped on the u-he sale mainly after re-demoing Presswerk then of course all the rest offered in the bundle :dog: :party:

The reason I`m singling out Presswerk here though is that it seems to be fantastically useful at the composing stage. Particularly with getting electronic kicks tucked in, just put it into easy mode adjust to taste and move on. Just seems to work amazingly well with this!

Even if it ends up being swapped out later for something else, it's great at getting things started and as a reference point for ABing later.

Happy to hear more tips from more long-term (or short-term) users!

Fleer
KVRAF
4045 posts since 23 Aug, 2014 from Boston/Cambridge

Re: Some Praise For U-He Presswerk!

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Sounds interesting. I’m actually selling it but now thinking I’d better keep it, as well as Satin.

deastman
KVRAF
6942 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:21 pm

Presswerk is my go-to “character” compressor for when I want a lot of coloration and saturation. I’m sure it can do subtle and transparent too, but I’m not really a subtle kinda guy. Same with Satin- whenever I pull that up, I immediately turn every quality parameter as low as possible, pushing it into overdriven cassette tape territory. Love them!
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

ATS
KVRAF
6122 posts since 21 Dec, 2002 from MD USA

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:49 pm

I am not sure why someone would compress kicks?

But yeah I love Presswerk too.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls ~ Pablo Picasso

4tune
KVRian

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Fleer wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:12 pm
Sounds interesting. I’m actually selling it but now thinking I’d better keep it, as well as Satin.
I`d say it`s definitley worth giving a go before you part with it! It's like: Kick + Presswerk = Kick out of the way but still sitting there solidly, allowing you to concentrate on how the rest of the stuff is going to fit together.

One thing worth being aware of is it can be fairly brutal on transients particularly on fast attack ,so if starting in Easy Mode I often click the `house/home` icon on the top left and go and mix some dry signal back in. Plenty to tweak there later in the song as things start progressing too.
deastman wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:21 pm
Presswerk is my go-to “character” compressor for when I want a lot of coloration and saturation. I’m sure it can do subtle and transparent too, but I’m not really a subtle kinda guy. Same with Satin- whenever I pull that up, I immediately turn every quality parameter as low as possible, pushing it into overdriven cassette tape territory. Love them!
Definitely got a lot of character! Smooth compression action too. With Satin, I`ve only experimented briefly on the master bus but it seems to easily do a nice gluing thing too! I`ll give the lower quality tip a run and see how many individual tracks my intel will allow!
ATS wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:49 pm

If it works it works!

YMMV but: Sound design, change the envelope of the kick, 'glue' layered kick samples together, or in this case I mentioned it seems put the kick in a place that makes me focus better on the rest of the song.

yellowmix
KVRian
874 posts since 11 Aug, 2012

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:26 pm

It's my primary character compressor too. I love that it doesn't model anything specific, but gets the circuit flavors right; optical, vari-mu, vca, fet, etc.. Works on the bus, on channel, great at sidechaining. It's not so much a single compressor but a toolbox of compressors concepts (like DPR) you can mix and match. It's deep. And if that's too much to handle at first, there are multiple preset views you can use right away.

Presswerk is great on kicks, btw, fattens them up real good. Parallel compression in an insert with tasty dynamic saturation, what more could you want?

With that said, Presswerk could use another tutorial video. The current one concentrates on the views.

kmonkey
KVRAF
3963 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:49 pm

ATS wrote:
6090 posts and you don't happen to know that people (especially in electronic music) are compressing their kicks to: change shape/sound of it, duck or expose transinents or shape them add some compressor color on it or putanything here which compressor can give you - touche.

OP - try Presswerk limiter programs on kicks. Sometimes amazing :clap:
Last edited by kmonkey on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ploki
KVRian
539 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:46 am

ATS wrote:

Changes the colour a little, it's a sound design tool like any other.

I love presswerk. it's my go to for vocals - parallel compression, squished, highly saturated, sounds like magic.
I pretty much only use Logic's compressors and Presswerk, i don't feel like i need anything else since presswerk.

i'm not sure how it models different types like VCA/Opto/VariMu

jochicago
KVRist
357 posts since 26 Feb, 2018

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am

It's an impressive compressor to say the least. I don't have it, but it's high on my wish list. I don't think it will soon go on sale discounted enough for me to buy it, and I can't justify a budget for yet another compressor. But if you don't have a few go-to compressors, this one can be the only compressor you'll need.

Every feature-rich compressor I've seen is missing this critical feature called "Non Lin" in Presswerk. Vintage compressors I've tested (VCA, FET, Opto) use an early-release model (or dialing it left). Without this feature you can't use something like Kotelnikov or TB BusCompressor to try to emulate say a DBX160 or an 1176. For instance, TB BusCompressor uses a straight linear release (or leaving it in the center). It may seem like a small thing, but there's a reason all those vintage units tilt left.

However, I'm still holding out for a compressor that separates the knee for the attack and the release cycles - haven't seen any compressor provide controls for this (some do it inside, but no controls). Plus the pump feature in Waves H Comp, the transient feature in TB BusComp, the Peak->RMS detection knob in Kotelnikov, floor and ceiling threshold limits... there's plenty of room yet for a truly featured compressor to rule them all :D

(If any developer is following, I'd be happy to provide an interface design)

4tune
KVRian

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:42 pm

Some interesting replies here thanks!

Going to be trying the limiter tip kmonkey!

And there`s clearly a lot else to dig into here which will require some experimentation and digging into the manual some time.

fese
KVRian
952 posts since 14 Sep, 2004 from $HOME

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:03 pm

I’ve had some success leveling very uneven basses (especially acoustic) when dialing the “delay” knob to the left. Could also be achieved via the old “duplicating the bass track, shifting it back in time and feed it to the side chain on a comp on the original track” trick, but with Presswerk you can do it in one track, as long as you don’t need long delay.

Cooker
KVRian
732 posts since 29 Jul, 2008

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:47 am

I love the saturation section, that alone can be enough for many things and fast to work with (including compression)

4tune
KVRian

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:37 pm

Yes the side-chain delay back/ forward function seems handy!

Have to agree about the saturation section aswell. Really liking the U-he saturation sound across the bundle of plugs!

sleepcircle
KVRian
533 posts since 28 Nov, 2016

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:56 pm

jochicago wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am
Every feature-rich compressor I've seen is missing this critical feature called "Non Lin" in Presswerk. Vintage compressors I've tested (VCA, FET, Opto) use an early-release model (or dialing it left). Without this feature you can't use something like Kotelnikov or TB BusCompressor to try to emulate say a DBX160 or an 1176.
As far as I know, Kotelnikov GE contains that feature—it's labelled Inertia in the interface.

herodotus
KVRAF
5515 posts since 8 Dec, 2004 from The Twin Cities

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:34 pm

kmonkey wrote:
ATS wrote:
6090 posts and you don't happen to know that people (especially in electronic music) are compressing their kicks to: change shape/sound of it, duck or expose transinents or shape them add some compressor color on it or anything~~©~aa!1 here which compressor can give you - touche
I often use compression on acoustic kick drums as well, which is pretty standard in rock recordings. The standard function is to pull the low amplitude shell ringing into the louder, more transient head surface sound, because otherwise that head surface sound will be all you get.

Of course this doesn't have much to do with Presswerk. But it's kvr, so....

Return to “Effects”