DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
killmaster
KVRian
1085 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:12 am

Is there a DAW or plugin that can "translate" audio into MIDI? Depending on the source material and what you want from it, I can imagine it could be pretty complicated but would love to find something that can analyze different types of audio material and spit out a midi track. (Maybe be able to have some choice in how it analyzes like how you detect transients when you chop up and sample audio files...)

Thanks for any recommendations!

Greg

User avatar
W23
KVRist
309 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Re: DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:22 am

Don’t most DAWs do it now? I know that Ableton Live and Logic will do it. They have very different ways of going about it, though
Last edited by W23 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Boone777
KVRian
728 posts since 8 Aug, 2011

Re: DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:27 am

In Reaper Reagate can do it. For drums Superior drummer 3 can do it importing a wave file inside. Also for guitar you have Origin that can do it.
Win 7, 64Bit, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 5.965, Steinberg MR816x

Etienne1973
KVRist
403 posts since 8 Feb, 2013 from Switzerland

Re: DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:33 am

Celemony Melodyne does it even with AFAIK polyphonic audio sources?

User avatar
liv
KVRian
1446 posts since 26 Feb, 2013 from Sweden

Re: DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:35 am


zzz00m
KVRAF
1738 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:11 am

Ableton Live 10 will do it (not available in Intro or Lite Editions).
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/conve ... o-to-midi/

There are 3 conversion modes, 1 & 2 results in a new track containing an instrument rack with a default sound, #3 gets a drum rack:
1. Convert Harmony to new MIDI track
2. Convert Melody to new MIDI track
3. Convert Drums to new MIDI track

The advice to use tracks with isolated instruments is very good, otherwise results can be very unpredictable, because any sound in the track can be detected as a pitch. But for a track with a monophonic instrument the melody conversion works well. Same for a harmony conversion with a chord track played on piano. And the drum detection seems to be able to isolate the kick, snare, and hi-hats. It is not 100%, so some editing and cleaning of the MIDI conversion may be required.
For the most accurate results, we recommend the following:

Use music that has clear attacks. Notes that fade in or “swell” may not be detected by the conversion process.
Work with recordings of isolated instruments. The Convert Drums command, for example, works best with unaccompanied drum breaks; if other instruments are present, their notes will be detected as well.
Use uncompressed, high-quality audio files such as .wav or .aiff. Lossy data formats such as mp3 may result in unpredictable conversions, unless the recordings are at high bitrates.
Windows 10; with instruments from Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

killmaster
KVRian
1085 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Re: DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:32 am

zzz00m wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:11 am
Ableton Live 10 will do it (not available in Intro or Lite Editions).
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/conve ... o-to-midi/

There are 3 conversion modes, 1 & 2 results in a new track containing an instrument rack with a default sound, #3 gets a drum rack:
1. Convert Harmony to new MIDI track
2. Convert Melody to new MIDI track
3. Convert Drums to new MIDI track

The advice to use tracks with isolated instruments is very good, otherwise results can be very unpredictable, because any sound in the track can be detected as a pitch. But for a track with a monophonic instrument the melody conversion works well. Same for a harmony conversion with a chord track played on piano. And the drum detection seems to be able to isolate the kick, snare, and hi-hats. It is not 100%, so some editing and cleaning of the MIDI conversion may be required.
For the most accurate results, we recommend the following:

Use music that has clear attacks. Notes that fade in or “swell” may not be detected by the conversion process.
Work with recordings of isolated instruments. The Convert Drums command, for example, works best with unaccompanied drum breaks; if other instruments are present, their notes will be detected as well.
Use uncompressed, high-quality audio files such as .wav or .aiff. Lossy data formats such as mp3 may result in unpredictable conversions, unless the recordings are at high bitrates.
Wow, thanks for this and thanks to all for the recommendations! Super helpful. I don't have Live 10 but I have Live 9. I'll check to see if I can do that there. Also have Studio One and it has melodyne integrated...

zzz00m
KVRAF
1738 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:52 am

killmaster wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:32 am

Wow, thanks for this and thanks to all for the recommendations! Super helpful. I don't have Live 10 but I have Live 9. I'll check to see if I can do that there. Also have Studio One and it has melodyne integrated...
Yes Live 9 has this as well, just glanced at my old user guide, the chapter looks exactly the same.

I also have the Melodyne Essentials that was included in another DAW bundle. That works with a monophonic source like a vocal melody or bass line, and there is also a percussive mode for drums and percussion.

You can upgrade to a version of Melodyne that handles polyphonic material for chords and harmony.
Windows 10; with instruments from Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

User avatar
dandezebra
KVRian
1060 posts since 21 Dec, 2013 from USA

Re: DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:24 pm

FL Studio has Newtone depending on which version one has.

Musical Gym
KVRAF
4895 posts since 24 May, 2004 from square1

Re: DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:28 pm

Select audio track in Studio One, right-click and choose Edit with Melodyne.
When Melodyne has finished its analysis, close Melodyne.
Drag the audio track that Melodyne analyzed into an Instrument track.
Check the midi (that Melodyne created) in the track and edit if necessary in the Instrument track.

killmaster
KVRian
1085 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Re: DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Musical Gym wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:28 pm
Select audio track in Studio One, right-click and choose Edit with Melodyne.
When Melodyne has finished its analysis, close Melodyne.
Drag the audio track that Melodyne analyzed into an Instrument track.
Check the midi (that Melodyne created) in the track and edit if necessary in the Instrument track.
Woah! I had no idea. So straightforward. Can't wait to try this! Thanks a lot! Great to have a way to use Melodyne. I hear its pretty great at analyzing... I'll try this and Live and see which one has better workflow and results, though this sounds pretty great.

untimelyman
KVRist
49 posts since 28 Mar, 2014

Re: DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 pm

For real-time conversion check out Imitone.

User avatar
Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
1637 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Re: DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:43 pm

Reason 10. Just drag and drop audio to instrument track.

killmaster
KVRian
1085 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Re: DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:07 am

Distorted Horizon wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:43 pm
Reason 10. Just drag and drop audio to instrument track.
Woah, thanks! I also have Reason 10. Great news, thanks.

zzz00m
KVRAF
1738 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: DAW or plugin that does audio to MIDI?

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 am

killmaster wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:44 pm
Musical Gym wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:28 pm
Select audio track in Studio One, right-click and choose Edit with Melodyne.
When Melodyne has finished its analysis, close Melodyne.
Drag the audio track that Melodyne analyzed into an Instrument track.
Check the midi (that Melodyne created) in the track and edit if necessary in the Instrument track.
Woah! I had no idea. So straightforward. Can't wait to try this! Thanks a lot! Great to have a way to use Melodyne. I hear its pretty great at analyzing... I'll try this and Live and see which one has better workflow and results, though this sounds pretty great.
Nice, yes. But with limits!

The default bundled Melodyne essential should work fine for monophonic tracks or rhythmic percussion, but for chords you will need to upgrade to Melodyne editor for polyphonic audio use. A $399 upgrade.

Live will work with chords if the instrument is isolated, and not mixed with other parts.
Windows 10; with instruments from Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”