iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

manytone wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 amI was surprised that of the 11 gig content included, I think only about 2 gig of it is used in the 300 plus presets that come with iRIS.
That is because they didn't bother to recreate all the patches that they broke when they made version 2. :dog:
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

tdm wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:33 am Ask someone who lost files when Windows 10 updated automatically last October.
I would, except I don't know anyone who had that problem. I certainly didn't and I installed that version through the Slow Ring weeks before it went live. But if you want to go tit for tat, we could go through all the problems Apple customers have, like all the photos that were stolen from celebrity's iCloud storage and posted for the world to see or the problems a lot of people had updating to Sierra, where the installer stopped half-way through
Anyone that uses a computer as a tool for a specific task (like music) values stability over everything else.
Yep, that's precisely why I choose Windows and, over 15 years of performing with bands from all over the world, the choice has been vindicated time and again.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 pm
Dillinger wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:14 am Iris 2 is good, don't get me wrong, Ive had it since launch, but it was abandoned, just not officially. Same with BreakTweaker except that one was officially abandoned.
So what? I don't get this attitude. When Korg stopped making the M1, it made absolutely no difference to anyone who already had one. It's the same here - if Iris 2 is a good synth, then it's a good synth whether it's still in active development or not.
I think the difference is that with Iris one of the biggest mistakes in the design of the plug in was to not have separate filters and EQ's for each sample layer. There's only three samples in the plug in for chrissakes? it's why Iris 2 didn't sell that well, they missed the boat on what people wanted. It's evident when you use it to design your own patches how nice that feature would be.

Doesn't matter at $29 though, what it does is unique, easily worth that amount.

No, Iris 2 has 4 samples per patch.

I'm downloading it now but I watched a few videos tonight and there are four sample layers, not three, and I don't see why anyone would want filters per layer when they can just load up another instance. I'm much more comfortable with the concept of sample layers as a substitute for oscillators, so a single filter is fine with me. Preferable, even. I just think of it as a 4-osc synth, a bit like Equator, which is something I can get my head around easily. At $29 it's probably costing me more in bandwidth to download the sample content. (Not really, but you know what I mean.)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:42 am I'm downloading it now but I watched a few videos tonight and there are four sample layers, not three, and I don't see why anyone would want filters per layer when they can just load up another instance. I'm much more comfortable with the concept of sample layers as a substitute for oscillators, so a single filter is fine with me. Preferable, even. I just think of it as a 4-osc synth, a bit like Equator, which is something I can get my head around easily. At $29 it's probably costing me more in bandwidth to download the sample content. (Not really, but you know what I mean.)
$29 ? Just added it to my cart and went to checkout it now says $34.80 :lol: :lol: :lol:

You snooze, you lose!

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:44 am You snooze, you lose!
True that :D

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:49 amYep, that's precisely why I choose Windows and, over 15 years of performing with bands from all over the world, the choice has been vindicated time and again.
You're right, Bones. Stupid people like me just can't get anything done with Apple computers. What were we thinking? GRRRRRRR!

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:42 am I don't see why anyone would want filters per layer when they can just load up another instance. I'm much more comfortable with the concept of sample layers as a substitute for oscillators, so a single filter is fine with me. Preferable, even. I just think of it as a 4-osc synth, a bit like Equator, which is something I can get my head around easily. At $29 it's probably costing me more in bandwidth to download the sample content. (Not really, but you know what I mean.)
Personally I've run into more than a few situations where I thought it would be really convenient to be able to take this sample and filter it into the background without carving out whole frequencies or chunks of frequencies, which is the basic concept of Iris.
I also don't mind filter sources per oscillator synths. Zebra, Falcon, Cypher 2, Hive, all get a lot of use here.

It doesn't make Iris worthless by any means, but you asked why people get all fussy about the lack of development of a particular synth etc. it's because some feature was hoped for in the next version at least that's the case with me anyway.

Another example would be Kore, which isn't going to remain usable as plug ins slip into the future and incompatibilities pop up between Kore and new plug ins.

Anyway it's all moot, Iris is a great plug in, it's a great price, and IMO iZotope could still come out with an Iris 3, it's just that they're making bank on RX really. :shrug:

Hummm, I couldn’t add anything more to that except this useless statement.

Don't miss the excellent soundbank that Luftrum designed for Iris and Iris 2, Luftrum 10 for $23. https://www.luftrum.com/luftrum10/

Luftrum has also made a 1GB library of free field recordings available in wav format for use in any sampler, including Iris: https://www.luftrum.com/free-field-recordings/
a broad range of various recordings from ocean waves to forest sounds, birds, gardenscapes, airport atmospheres, binaural recordings (make sure to listen with headphones for full effect!) and experiments with hydrophones, coil pickups and contact mics such as the rumble of a windmill, the circuit board of an iPhone and the footsteps of ants on a contact mic.
Here is a demo of the Luftrum 10 soundbank:
https://youtu.be/Mj1tX-oMVbA
Windows 10 and too many plugins

These are wonderful also... and free ;-)

https://www.izotope.com/en/blog/music-p ... io-ux.html

rob_lee wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 am
BONES wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:42 am I'm downloading it now but I watched a few videos tonight and there are four sample layers, not three, and I don't see why anyone would want filters per layer when they can just load up another instance. I'm much more comfortable with the concept of sample layers as a substitute for oscillators, so a single filter is fine with me. Preferable, even. I just think of it as a 4-osc synth, a bit like Equator, which is something I can get my head around easily. At $29 it's probably costing me more in bandwidth to download the sample content. (Not really, but you know what I mean.)
$29 ? Just added it to my cart and went to checkout it now says $34.80 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Still $29 (and less with code GROUP) here: https://www.jrrshop.com/izotope-iris

topaz wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:56 pm These are wonderful also... and free ;-)

https://www.izotope.com/en/blog/music-p ... io-ux.html
Agree! Already have those too.

Check out the 65 free pad sounds in Gratis IR from Homegrown Sounds: https://hgsounds.com/product/gratis-ir-for-iris/

The wav files are also available for your own use. I believe that they sampled various synths to get the wav files used, so the presets sound rather "synthy", but in an Iris way.

Return to “Instruments”