Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Codes were given out for owners of Tantra and Diversion. So that's a cheap (free?) purchase option for Thorn.

Alternatively if you have no interest in Thorn you could sell the code.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:18 pm Codes were given out for owners of Tantra and Diversion. So that's a cheap (free?) purchase option for Thorn.

They were not "given out" - I had to specifically ask for it (talking about the $19 / NFR codes).

What I received without asking was some generic discount that probably all PA members got.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:28 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:18 pm Codes were given out for owners of Tantra and Diversion. So that's a cheap (free?) purchase option for Thorn.

They were not "given out" - I had to specifically ask for it (talking about the $19 / NFR codes).

What I received without asking was some generic discount that probably all PA members got.
Did you buy Tantra or Diversion directly from DS?

starflakeprj wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:56 am He lost at least the upgrade money from me for Thorn, Diversion and Tantra, but probably for any other new plugin I woulf have purchased if still under his own management.
You're missing the point that if he didn't get help with administrative duties there might not be time for any new plugins.

If this move was needed to keep new plugins coming (like Diversion 2) then I'm all for it.

Just to let you know I didn't need to install the PA "Software Center". I simply downloaded the Thorn installer, ran it and authorized it both on an online computer and with the offline method. Painless.

Don't forget the new version comes with 3 extra patch banks at least two of which come from Rob Lee. I wonder how he feels about people who think his banks are not worth $19 ? I don't need new patches but I do appreciate the effort that went into creating the new patches.

Anyway on the subject of the plugin itself.....I got a response from Dmitry concerning the Polyphony Optimization:

"Since Optimize Polyphony was removed, Thorn now doesn't save significant part of CPU when we press the same note several times in a row.
The reason is that there were bugs in Optimize Polyphony option, so I temporarily removed it and have now time to polish it out, I'll return it a bit later and CPU usage become the same as before version 1.2."

Pay particular attention to the part where he says "has now time to polish it out"...... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:15 pm But for what reason? To stick with your version forever, when you could just upgrade for free? I doubt the voucher can be used nore than once...
Am I missing something? What you talking about "just upgrade for free" ??

I was talking about the voucher code antic604 was talking about.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:33 pm
Did you buy Tantra or Diversion directly from DS?[/quote]

I don't own Diversion and Tantra I got via Plugin Boutique.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Well there you go. You can't be certain how others received their coupons ;)

chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:54 pm I was talking about the voucher code antic604 was talking about.
I'm really getting confused, is there more vouchers than

#1 - $19 voucher the upgrade voucher which you have to pay $19+VAT to get the upgrade
#2 - $25 (or more) is the Plugin Alliance monthly voucher
?

As I understand, unless you have the PA voucher there's no such thing as a free update and is he not talking about #1 voucher?

Edit: NVM, missed the "or" NFR
Last edited by Kr3eM on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I have updated to 1.2.
Loading the plugin gives 19% CPU hit. Does anyone have the same issue?

I've had Diversion since it first came out. Bought it from DS, I believe. How do I get the code for Thorn? Was an email sent or is it in an account page? Would love to get Thorn. DS does solid work.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Igro wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:49 pm I have updated to 1.2.
You mean when just loaded and not processing audio ? If so then no I do not get that here. Version 1.2 does use more CPU when playing it for the reason mentioned earlier:

"Since Optimize Polyphony was removed, Thorn now doesn't save significant part of CPU when we press the same note several times in a row.
The reason is that there were bugs in Optimize Polyphony option, so I temporarily removed it and have now time to polish it out, I'll return it a bit later and CPU usage become the same as before version 1.2."
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

BERFAB wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:57 pm
I've had Diversion since it first came out. Bought it from DS, I believe. How do I get the code for Thorn? Was an email sent or is it in an account page? Would love to get Thorn. DS does solid work.

Cheers
-B
I don't think the idea was for someone to be able to purchase Thorn new for $19 only the upgrade to 1.2 although it seems like some people are taking advantage of an error in judgement by PA and getting it new for $19. :?

Teksonik wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:59 pm
Igro wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:49 pm I have updated to 1.2.
You mean when just loaded and not processing audio ? If so then no I do not get that here. Version 1.2 does use more CPU when playing it for the reason mentioned earlier:

8-7% when the default preset is used (and not playing anything).
Up to 19% with some presets (Pad Milky way) when not playing. The CPU is jumping from 10 to 19%.

Win10/64. Thorn VST3.

Pad Milky Way uses 1.2-1.5% when idle here. This is my internet computer which is a pretty weak i3 running at 3.1 GHz Win10 Pro 64 bit. I am using Reaper for testing. Just turning off the FX drops that patch to 0.4 to 0.6 %

Return to “Instruments”