Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Teksonik wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:03 pm
BERFAB wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:57 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:18 pm Codes were given out for owners of Tantra and Diversion. So that's a cheap (free?) purchase option for Thorn.
I've had Diversion since it first came out. Bought it from DS, I believe. How do I get the code for Thorn? Was an email sent or is it in an account page? Would love to get Thorn. DS does solid work.

Cheers
-B
I don't think the idea was for someone to be able to purchase Thorn new for $19 only the upgrade to 1.2 although it seems like some people are taking advantage of an error in judgement by PA and getting it new for $19. :?
This. Plus it appears that loophole has since been closed based on subsequent comments.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:33 pm This. Plus it appears that loophole has since been closed based on subsequent comments.
That's good news. I have no love for Plugin Alliance but I'd rather Dmirty not get ripped off. I'm not sure if Rob Lee is getting any of that $19 but I hope he was compensated by PA in some way.

I have yet to hear back from PA and I have not seen them post in either of the Thorn threads so I'm not feeling any love for them yet. Up until this point I always felt their previous catalog of plugins were way over priced and their "sales" price was more in line with what they should cost.

Oh well they have at least one plugin worth owning now......... :P :wheee:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:25 pm Pad Milky Way uses 1.2-1.5% when idle here. This is my internet computer which is a pretty weak i3 running at 3.1 GHz Win10 Pro 64 bit. I am using Reaper for testing. Just turning off the FX drops that patch to 0.4 to 0.6 %
Hi Teksonik. It was my fault. :oops: My powerplan was set to Balanced, hence CPU spikes.
Now set fot the best performance. MilkyWay Pad now takes a constant 4%. Seems like the Reaper is very CPU efficient. Do you use Thorn's VST3 version?

Igro wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:54 pm
Hi Teksonik. It was my fault. :oops: My powerplan was set to Balanced, hence CPU spikes.
Now set fot the best performance. MilkyWay Pad now takes a constant 4%. Seems like the Reaper is very CPU efficient. Do you use Thorn's VST3 version?
I'm glad you got it sorted. :) Hopefully now that Dmitry has more time he'll be able to work on the CPU demand even beyond adding the Polyphony Optimization option back.

I use the VST2 version and I find Reaper''s CPU meter is pretty close to what Windows Task Manager reports.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:25 pm Pad Milky Way uses 1.2-1.5% when idle here. This is my internet computer which is a pretty weak i3 running at 3.1 GHz Win10 Pro 64 bit. I am using Reaper for testing. Just turning off the FX drops that patch to 0.4 to 0.6 %
What are the downsides to best performance? I was on balanced but decided to change it.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:38 pm
What are the downsides to best performance? I was on balanced but decided to change it.
Imho it's just worth to consider for laptop users.

elassi wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:39 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:38 pm
Imho it's just worth to consider for laptop users.
Well I'm on a desktop. Does it matter as much?

wagtunes wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:40 pm Well I'm on a desktop. Does it matter as much?
In my understanding the energy plans save power consumption (= laptop battery). This is not needed for desktop PC because they're always connected to a regular power supply.

elassi wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:42 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:40 pm Well I'm on a desktop. Does it matter as much?
In my understanding the energy plans save power consumption (= laptop battery). This is not needed for desktop PC because they're always connected to a regular power supply.
So then best performance won't improve my performance any.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:47 pm
No, best performance gives you full power. Any other option tries to save energy. It's like limiting motor power in your car to achieve a longer distance with the given gas. If you never run out of gas (power supply) you can go as fast as your machine can get.

It will. It will make the computer consume more power though, which, like elassi said, is only really relevant on laptops.

Basically, what such a energy plan does is reduce, or avoid CPU throttling, avoid energy-saving modes of peripheral, and to stop other energy saving measures, like lowering the screen's brightness etc., simply making the PC more performant in general. I always use it when i boot up my DAW, because i run into pops and crackles quickly if i don't.

Using an audio interface with good drivers will also vastly reduce CPU footprint in my experience.

nvm

FYI for anyone who cares: the preset locations changed with this new version. I had to double check because some of my other third-party presets weren't showing up. On Windows the new location is:

Documents/DS Audio/DS Thorn/Plug-In Presets
Last edited by Tappistry on Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speaking of presets, the PA upgrade includes an additional bank besides the Rob Lee ones that were offered as a bundle with the previous version that was sold by DS before the transition: "EDM Essentials." So even if you bought the full bundle previously, you'll still get a new bank of presets.

However, one piece that seems to be missing with the new PA version are the bonus drum loops that came with Rob Lee Volume 2. I had them backed up, so I'm fine. I wonder if PA will eventually offer those in the additional downloads section for license holders?

It will, especially for CPU demanding tasks. When in balanced mode - the CPU power jumps on demand. It is not good when working with media programs, as you may experience some lagging.

Return to “Instruments”