Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I always wanted a Fender Mustang. Maybe adding it to my collection in the near future. https://reverb.com/p/fender-mustang-daphne-blue-1966

justin3am wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:45 pm I don't know anything about string gauges. I guess I will have to spend some time looking into that.
When it comes to working on guitars and bass, I prefer to have some one else help me. Unless it's the electronic components, it's just outside of my expertise. I could learn but I'd rather drop it off at the shop and let someone knowledgeable do the work. I don't think I've ever used anything other than the Slinky Strings in the neon green package for guitar and D'Adarrio XLs for bass.
I would think that packs of strings are likely to be balanced, but I've found on more than one occasion that new guitars do not have a balanced set of strings. I found this to be particularly true when I bought my 7 string, as there were no setup issues, but I got buzz from the E and B strings as they were just too slack.

It's possible the guitar needs to be set up, but sometimes just putting a new set of strings on a new guitar makes it much more playable.
Sweet child in time...

tapper mike wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:20 am Back in the 90's I played jazz gigs standing with a 17 inch bock. Bear in mind I'm 5'6" and 110 lbs It was like dancing with a fat lady.

As for comfort when playing a box it's all about posture.

Sure all of the above feel awkward the first few times out. But if you stay the course you'll eventually adapt.
Well I am 6' 3" and 245 lbs in the old language with long arms and legs and I still felt that a 17" archtop was not so comfortable to play when I was wearing a dinner suit..

I've done more than a couple of gigs playing archtops, so I have a fairly good idea of what works for me...

Even with acoustics,I prefer the OM shapes because they tuck in neatly,but my main flat tops these days are some dreadnought 12 strings that have been converted to 6 shooters...

And they sound really good too !

For most pro players who are travelling without a crew, the simplest solutions are the most practical...

It's amazing how good a nice quality solid body can sound in the right hands :wink:
No auto tune...

I'm angling for a Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960s Reissue. I have a dozen guitars, but no LP. To my ears, the Classic sounds better than other iterations of the LP.

While you are saving your pennies look at the used market as well. There comes a time in a mans life when a snow blower he can use is of more value than a guitar that sits under his bed waiting for someday.

Every time I'd gig with one of my LP's I always had trepidation. Those concerns became well founded on more than one occasion.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I have eleven gibsons now. 2 nighthawks, two bfg lps, (goldtop and the Zakk Wylde), 2014 sgj, custom classic lp, future tribute lp, 2013 signature t ( a trad lp with coil splits) and a damned expensive limited edition custom shop lp. oh, and a zoot suit sg.
Which get the most use?
the nighthawks. they’re both standard threes (3 pickups). they really do leave the LPs in the shade.
Search one out and try one. dare to sound a bit different from almost everyone else...They’re easy on the spine compared to an LP also.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

I have a lust for a Gretsch 6 string Electromatic after getting my Gretsch 12er, but it ain't gonna happen. Also, I have a very nice Walden acoustic that I bought cheap 2nd hand that I liked so much I sold a Taylor 316 because I preferred the Walden. Now I see another Walden of similar quality up for grabs for the same price as the first one. I'm chafing a bit for it, but I have enough guitars.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

What's your limit?

Funny thing. Neal Schon sold off the lions share of his guitar for a holy grail LP.
How many guitars did he have left? One Hundred. Yep 100 guitars.

How many guitars can you buy with $500,000?

How much time do you have to play them?
In the past I've had guitars that I'd love and then forget. Pull it out of the case every other year or so. fall in love and then put away because it wasn't somewhere I'd want to go musically at the time.

This last week I've been devoted to... my Variax Standard. Just because I'm too lazy to put it back and pick up another guitar between songs.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I have a theory that my guitar lust is a form of sublimated promisquity. It is also probably a form of compensation for all the years I scraped by with practically nothing. I mean, there was a time when all I had were the clothes on my back. Literally. And then I spent a decade in college. Nobody gave me anything, and I worked my ass off. Then again, perhaps it's just that I love guitars. Or maybe all of the above.

I'm pretty much at my limit, now. I think 100 guitars is ridiculous, and even if we were wealthy, which we aren't, I'd never go that far. Not as an unfamous, non-gigging musician, I wouldn't. I have 2 guitars that I am parting with, one as a gift, one to sell to pay for my new Gretsch. When that is done, I'll have 15. 8 acoustics, 7 electrics. All my acoustics get played regularly, and only 2 electrics rarely get played, one of them being the first guitar I bought when I got off the street 38 years ago, but needs some work and a few new parts to be playable again. No way on earth I'd part with that guitar.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I'm totally fine with one electric, one bass and one acoustic. They just have to be good quality. The electric I settled on a decade ago, I'm half way to saving for a custom Lowden acoustic, and the great bass will have to wait until after (will probably order something custom from David King). I have cheapies for now and they do just fine!

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:52 am I'm totally fine with one electric, one bass and one acoustic. They just have to be good quality. The electric I settled on a decade ago, I'm half way to saving for a custom Lowden acoustic, and the great bass will have to wait until after (will probably order something custom from David King). I have cheapies for now and they do just fine!
No 12 strings? :o Preposterous!

Haha, no, never even thought about getting one, might as well just use a chorus pedal (ducks...) :)

Bombadil wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:57 am I have a theory that my guitar lust is a form of sublimated promisquity. It is also probably a form of compensation for all the years I scraped by with practically nothing. I mean, there was a time when all I had were the clothes on my back. Literally. And then I spent a decade in college. Nobody gave me anything, and I worked my ass off. Then again, perhaps it's just that I love guitars. Or maybe all of the above.

I'm pretty much at my limit, now. I think 100 guitars is ridiculous, and even if we were wealthy, which we aren't, I'd never go that far. Not as an unfamous, non-gigging musician, I wouldn't. I have 2 guitars that I am parting with, one as a gift, one to sell to pay for my new Gretsch. When that is done, I'll have 15. 8 acoustics, 7 electrics. All my acoustics get played regularly, and only 2 electrics rarely get played, one of them being the first guitar I bought when I got off the street 38 years ago, but needs some work and a few new parts to be playable again. No way on earth I'd part with that guitar.
We may have the same thing going on with regards to lust... But with me it's all about tone.
It's not about what I see as much as what I hear. The closer I get to the truth of a given sound in a given song the happier I am.

What's funny is that while I do make the best effort to achieving tone via tweaking gtr+effects+amps (sims) I have zero patience when it comes to midi based (keyboard) controllers and virtual instruments. I love downloading and playing virtual instruments but I have no love for tweaking. Get me in the ballpark and let my playing do the rest.

If I could only remember songs....
Back in the 90's I could easily tap into 2000 songs (on guitar) stored in my collective unconscious. If I played the song 5 times in a row I had it for life (or so I thought) I pulled up a setlist of 50 songs from when I was busking 2 years ago and barely remembered half of them.

tapper mike wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:02 pm
We may have the same thing going on with regards to lust... But with me it's all about tone.
It's not about what I see as much as what I hear. The closer I get to the truth of a given sound in a given song the happier I am.

What's funny is that while I do make the best effort to achieving tone via tweaking gtr+effects+amps (sims) I have zero patience when it comes to midi based (keyboard) controllers and virtual instruments. I love downloading and playing virtual instruments but I have no love for tweaking. Get me in the ballpark and let my playing do the rest.

If I could only remember songs....
Back in the 90's I could easily tap into 2000 songs (on guitar) stored in my collective unconscious. If I played the song 5 times in a row I had it for life (or so I thought) I pulled up a setlist of 50 songs from when I was busking 2 years ago and barely remembered half of them.
Yes, we are similar in the ways you describe. I can't believe the tone that comes out of my €330 (2nd hand) Walden. Solid cedar/solid mahogany. I preferred it to a €1,300 Taylor, and I've become very picky when it comes to guitars. I've whittled my collection down from about 28 to soon to be 15, which is plenty. I'm going to be 59 this year, and I think, at this point, buying more guitars is at best frivolous, and at worst, a waste of money, time, and energy. So, no more guitars. I expect I'll always be susceptible to guitar lust, but it is not something I am going to obsess over.

I agree with you about VIs. Sometimes I think it might be easier to learn to play the real instrument, at least at a rudimentary level, than to futz around with articulation changes and other parameter manipulations of VIs. I find that a bit of a buzzkill. If I ever do find the discipline to actually compose something with them, I have all that I need right now. So, no more outgoing money, there.

When I used to busk in the Montreal Metro, I had a list of about 700 songs I could play by heart, and sing all the words to at least 1/3 of them. That was a long time ago, and in the interval, I've concentrated on my own songs, and the ones I wrote with my best-friend. I reckon I can still play a couple of hundred of the covers well enough, but singing all the words correctly? Doubtful.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”