studio one pan the view with middle mouse?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi, is there a way to pan the view with the mouse like in cubase with the middle button?

thanks and if the question is not clear please hit me up...

Nope, and not yet even in 2019. Shameful really.

Yeah, navigation isn't the strong point of Studio One. I think the most effective way is shift+scroll wheel but if anyone has a better suggestion that'd be great.

Apparently there used to be a free "extension" called Studio One X that enabled middle button panning and addressed a great number of other very stupid workflow issues Presonus should have fixed a century ago. The original download page is still up (link) BUT it no longer provides the actual download link. Nobody seems to know where to download it (and I'm not sure it would support S1 v4 anyway). I only learnt about this extension recently, so I never actually got to try it.

When v3 was released I was all pumped up about Studio One and bought the upgrade immediately on the very day of the announcement. Fast forward to v4 and, while it does have a few nice new features, I feel it fails to deliver on core workflow improvements, which for me are more important. The problem with such small improvements is that they don't look all that impressive on marketing material, so they tend to focus on "the next big thing" that usually can be done already using a third-party plugin or whatever. Anyway, I have not upgraded from v3 yet—voting with my wallet.

Scoox wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:39 pm Apparently there used to be a free "extension" called Studio One X that enabled middle button panning and addressed a great number of other very stupid workflow issues Presonus should have fixed a century ago.
I was using Studio One X at the time and the mouse panning, full screen mode, and articulation assistant were just great additions. Then he picked up his toys and went home. Oh well.

Disappointing that we still don't have any of those things in actual Studio One, meanwhile, some guy was able to develop them in his spare time by hacking a .dll.
Scoox wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:39 pmWhen v3 was released I was all pumped up about Studio One and bought the upgrade immediately on the very day of the announcement. Fast forward to v4 and, while it does have a few nice new features, I feel it fails to deliver on core workflow improvements, which for me are more important. The problem with such small improvements is that they don't look all that impressive on marketing material, so they tend to focus on "the next big thing" that usually can be done already using a third-party plugin or whatever. Anyway, I have not upgraded from v3 yet—voting with my wallet.
Yep, I'm in the same boat. Just not enough to warrant the upgrade, so still holding off. Studio One 4 was a relatively small upgrade, which was very surprising given their history. There's been some good stuff since, particularly the improved Tempo drawing, but that would've made the original 4.0 release initially much more attractive. Instead, there was a half-baked drum editor, a half-baked pattern editor, and not much else. I'm hoping by the time 4.5 rolls around they'll have made some killer additions (particularly on the MIDI side), but I'm not holding my breath either. Ironically, Cubase did get my upgrade dollars this year as they try to make it look and work more like Studio One (the new plugin browser in Cubase was a much desired addition).

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:07 pmStudio One 4 was a relatively small upgrade, which was very surprising given their history. There's been some good stuff since, particularly the improved Tempo drawing, but that would've made the original 4.0 release initially much more attractive. Instead, there was a half-baked drum editor, a half-baked pattern editor, and not much else. I'm hoping by the time 4.5 rolls around they'll have made some killer additions (particularly on the MIDI side), but I'm not holding my breath either. Ironically, Cubase did get my upgrade dollars this year as they try to make it look and work more like Studio One (the new plugin browser in Cubase was a much desired addition).
Agree with all points. There's just too much that lacks polish. Things like the fade-in/fade-out curve tension that snaps to a straight line, or the twitchy Bezier automation envelopes—little things that add up. Personally, I would have prioritised core workflow over, say, implementing "Mix Engine FX" which I suspect hasn't been the epic revolutionary hit Presonus pretended it would be.

I agree with everything above, though I'm sticking with Studio One v4 for now. I've tried other DAWs, but I still feel most comfortable in Studio One overall, in spite of some frustrations with the workflow/UI (it's not like other DAWs don't have frustrating/stupid UI/workflow issues of their own). Also, it's worth keeping in mind that x.5 updates of Studio One tend to contain many of the less "marketable" but arguably more useful features and fixes. 3.5 for example was almost a bigger upgrade than 3.0 in some ways.

Still, I'll have to take a long hard look at the DAW market when v5 comes out, though. Especially if the trend of more "freemium" DAWs continues.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:30 am I agree with everything above, though I'm sticking with Studio One v4 for now. I've tried other DAWs, but I still feel most comfortable in Studio One overall, in spite of some frustrations with the workflow/UI (it's not like other DAWs don't have frustrating/stupid UI/workflow issues of their own). Also, it's worth keeping in mind that x.5 updates of Studio One tend to contain many of the less "marketable" but arguably more useful features and fixes. 3.5 for example was almost a bigger upgrade than 3.0 in some ways.

Still, I'll have to take a long hard look at the DAW market when v5 comes out, though. Especially if the trend of more "freemium" DAWs continues.
We'll see what happens. Perhaps the x.0 releases seek to attract new users/converts, while the in-between releases seek to please the existing user base. Dunno

If you have a Logitech mouse you can program pan function to the middle click with Logitech options app, it works perfectly, no issues at all.
If you're on Mac there is app called USB overdrive which has same functionality+much more

Check out this Shuttle Express maybe
https://contour-design.co.uk/produkt/shuttlexpress/

With left hand you easily send keyboard commands to zoom or use jog wheel to move. I use ring around jog wheel to zoom in/out timeline in a flash.

Easy to set up to any process running, and have their own settings.

If you left-click-hold your mouse button, grab the timeline and pan the mouse left/right, it will pan the arrange view.

If you left-click-hold your mouse button, grab the timeline and move the mouse down/up, it will zoom the timeline/bars.

Little note: to pan, the left-right movements need to be done in a "straight" horizontal movement (not veer down a bit), otherwise you may cross over into zoom territory instead of panning.

trancema wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:24 pm If you have a Logitech mouse you can program pan function to the middle click with Logitech options app, it works perfectly, no issues at all.
If you're on Mac there is app called USB overdrive which has same functionality+much more
Don't have any Logitech mice around, how exaclty does that work? You middle-click and then move the mouse and the arrangement follows the mouse pointer precisely? I somehow don't believe that's possible.

macmuse wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:30 pm If you left-click-hold your mouse button, grab the timeline and pan the mouse left/right, it will pan the arrange view.

If you left-click-hold your mouse button, grab the timeline and move the mouse down/up, it will zoom the timeline/bars.

Little note: to pan, the left-right movements need to be done in a "straight" horizontal movement (not veer down a bit), otherwise you may cross over into zoom territory instead of panning.
Yes, but we are talking about using the middle button anywhere in the arrangement or the piano roll, not just the timeline. I know it works like that in other DAWs e.g. Ableton Live, but it's not ideal. FL Studio and Bitwig have got this right. The MMB is really underused in Studio One. That silly tool picker pop-up is practically useless as tools can be picked directly via keyboard shortcuts or from the toolbar above that is always visible and therefore requires only one click, not two.

I have Studio One 4.1.3.5xxxxx and I can pan my track view left or right simply by tilting my mouse wheel in the direction that I want it to go. I have a Logitech G500s mouse in the standard configuration, no special programming or setup. And it works in any window... not just track view.

Scoox wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:04 pm
trancema wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:24 pm If you have a Logitech mouse you can program pan function to the middle click with Logitech options app, it works perfectly, no issues at all.
Don't have any Logitech mice around, how exaclty does that work? You middle-click and then move the mouse and the arrangement follows the mouse pointer precisely? I somehow don't believe that's possible.
Yep, exactly like that...
To be honest, I was also suspicious because I was used to Cubase' method which is precise and good.
I wanted to try this, and I was surprised as it's really usable. I am not sure if it is dependable on mouse model, but mine is M510.
The best thing is that you can set custom functions per application so you can set this only for Studio One without affecting others.
Btw. name of the assigned function for middle click is: Gesture Button -> Pan

Cheers.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”