Pigments vs Serum

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Cyforce
KVRAF
2089 posts since 2 Feb, 2009 from Germany

Post Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:29 am

Pigments looks really neat, in direct comparision i think Serum is still the best wavetable synth at the moment, more flexible through the detail features and additional layer possibilites with the sample osc and sub. Also the amount of updates with improvements and new features, Serum received since release makes it in my eyes still the best workhorse wavetable synth :)

Żurek
KVRer
8 posts since 8 Dec, 2018

Re: Pigments vs Serum

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Both are very good. It's matter of taste.

layzer
KVRAF
6392 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:55 am

the only thing worth comparing here is the gui, the workflow, and the overall experience
of using one or the other because soundwise, they just make different sounds,
with no real one better than the other. :phones:

that being said.... i like SURGE. :party:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Igro
KVRAF
4029 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Post Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:25 am

SiliconDeath wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:57 am
Serum is pretty basic. I wish it had more features, maybe 1-2 more oscilators for better FM options, and maybe some of these Phase modulation/distortion options, as they can provide very different results from traditional FM synthesis. I really like Serum's sound engine, much better than Massive's, but Massive at least has more oscilators (including the independent modulation oscilator), so it's unfortunate that Serum feels like a trade-off in this aspect.

I've always liked FM or PM more than wavetable modulation, so maybe because of that I've liked other synth's palette more than Serum's (SM 2.x you can get warmer analog sound from base waveforms than on serum, yet you can also get quite far with its FM/PM and modulation stuff). My dream synth would have warm base waveforms (like that of Legend/Xils 4 or warmer) with the option to PM/PD these warm waveforms. Pigment's wavetable engine is pretty good sounding (certainly warmer than Serum), I really like the FM/PM/PD/WF and all the different modulation options I can do. I wish the step editor for LFOs was better (Serum and SM 2.x has better step editor). I'm still trialing Pigment's, but I do wonder if SM3 or Zebra 3 will prove to be more enjoyable for me.
Haha, I'm the same as you waiting for Massive X, Zebra 3, Deversion 2 and SM3 and then to decide whether I need Pigments or not.

The only thing I don't like in Pigments are those shiny moving squares with envelopes and LFOs. What are they for? What if I click on them?

vastdynamics
KVRist
87 posts since 5 Jan, 2015 from Germany

Post Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:33 am

Razzia
KVRist
163 posts since 21 May, 2016

Post Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:43 am

Cyforce wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:29 am
Pigments looks really neat, in direct comparision i think Serum is still the best wavetable synth at the moment, more flexible through the detail features and additional layer possibilites with the sample osc and sub. Also the amount of updates with improvements and new features, Serum received since release makes it in my eyes still the best workhorse wavetable synth :)
ever tried Avenger?

I like Serum for its UI. It gives you a really clean canvas to paint with, so to speak. But IMO Avenger sounds better and has a lot more options. Avenger does LOTS of stuff that Serum doesn't and only thing Serum does that Avenger doesn't is wet/dry knob on the filter (which is a big one, admittedly) and wavetable editor.

learnsounddsine
KVRer
1 posts since 3 Dec, 2017

Post Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:42 pm

Urs wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:46 pm
Quick question: Is Pigments vegan friendly?

(sorry, I had to...)
NO THEY ARE NOT URS AND THEY COULD NEVER U-HE! The work you to is so incredibly inspirational it makes me actually want to actually use your analog emulations over the real thing on almost every occasion, and all without any trade off what so ever...a trade up!

I run learnsounddsine.com unison.audio/blog as well as part of WaveAI's brand new AI songwriting app that just launched, ALYSIA. If I could ever do anything in any way to help, do a course/tutorials in written and/or video format... Even if its just reminding my readers who have the best plugins in both emulations and originals at a fraction of the price you would get something that only promised you to sound like the real thing. Might capture the color, tone or timbre and possibly a drop of 'random instability that to me in all honesty just sounds like some LFO modulation.

When I held down a note on Repro-1's INIT patch for the first time I almost fainted and literally listened for minutes trying to find the turnaround/cycle/loop...None at all... The FX themselves make the synth a dream machine in every sense of the word..... And no standard/average effects included! All are so incredibly unique and mind blowing that they have started developing and expanding them as individual effect processors...Magical ones.

And when you think nothing can truly sound as good and certainly better than the real thing...Diva does! Zebra2, Satin, Presswork...The list goes on. Every release is a classic, legendary for the elite and even the free legacy instruments are better than any other free synthesizer you would ever find.

Sorry guys, sorry for the rant but its all true and when I saw Urs in the chat I had to say something!

Anyone please feel free to contact me at any time on any music production/mixing and sound design related topics. Go to LEARNSOUNDDSINE.COM for in-depth articles, tips, tricks and theory of all things under the Music production umbrella as well as free serum and massive preset collections. Follow me on social @learnsounddsinecor contact me directly at dusti@learnsound dsine.com

Fraggle
KVRer
5 posts since 29 May, 2013 from Durham

Post Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:27 pm

If you are rich, or not shy to use your credit card, buy whatever synth you like. If you are budget limited, whichever one you buy, learn it inside out, make tonnes of leads, pads, arps, drum sounds etc until you feel you can do anything with it. Then, you won't wonder too much about 'ABC v XYZ' because you will KNOW. I have used many of the big synths released since the early 2000s and only in the last couple of years did I properly begin to learn deeply the guts of the few I liked. Today I can do all I need on Serum and Zebra 2.8, and frankly I do 95% of it on Serum.
Zen

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
2980 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:17 am

If you are rich, or not shy to use your credit card, buy whatever synth you like. If you are budget limited, whichever one you buy, learn it inside out, make tonnes of leads, pads, arps, drum sounds etc until you feel you can do anything with it.
Hoarding lots of synths won't make you any better sound designer.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

nachenko
KVRist
162 posts since 13 Mar, 2018

Post Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:26 am

Just my two cents:

I demoed both. I bought neither (got Dune 3 in the end), but I think both products have great qualities:

The best thing about Serum is how focused it is. Just a good wavetable synth with a solid sound engine and a clean interface that doesn't get in the way. A joy for people who likes making their own patches. Really fast way from your way to the speakers. As I already had ANA 2 and Synthmaster, Serum was redundant to me, but in other circumstances, I'd probably have bought it and I would be using it a lot.

Pigments: It's more complex, but also mora versatile, and the interface is also quite easy to get into. Arturia clearly put the product in the hands of a real designer, not just some PhotoShop wizard (which is what most synth vendors do), because Pigments interface not only looks great, it makes sense and you get on it with little effort considering how many possibilities it offers.

CPU: Serum. Hands down.

Last, price difference: even at full price, is not that much. Serum is the most simple and fastest one to get your hands on, you get great results, but Pigments is not too far, it's more versatile, well thought out, and offers more for just a few extra bucks. And Serum never goes on sale.

If I had to pick one, it would be Pigments.

But as I wrote in the beginning of this post, I picked neither. I got Dune 3 instead.

Fraggle
KVRer
5 posts since 29 May, 2013 from Durham

Post Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:47 pm

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:17 am
If you are rich, or not shy to use your credit card, buy whatever synth you like. If you are budget limited, whichever one you buy, learn it inside out, make tonnes of leads, pads, arps, drum sounds etc until you feel you can do anything with it.
Hoarding lots of synths won't make you any better sound designer.
Is your sound design better than your English comprehension? Maybe so, maybe not. No native speaker of English could conclude from my short post, and the part you quoted, that I suggested hoarding synths was helpful to one’s skills in sound design. Lord have mercy!

My full post :-

"If you are rich, or not shy to use your credit card, buy whatever synth you like. If you are budget limited, whichever one you buy, learn it inside out, make tonnes of leads, pads, arps, drum sounds etc until you feel you can do anything with it. Then, you won't wonder too much about 'ABC v XYZ' because you will KNOW. I have used many of the big synths released since the early 2000s and only in the last couple of years did I properly begin to learn deeply the guts of the few I liked. Today I can do all I need on Serum and Zebra 2.8, and frankly I do 95% of it on Serum."
Zen

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
2026 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:42 am

He just wanted to put a „+1“ into simple words, I read it as such...

telecode
KVRist
352 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Post Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:22 am

FWIW, here's my take so far (not I only recently got serum and am just starting to tinker with it).

To me Serum is easier to work with and much easier to achieve very out there modern sounds. Pigments has a lot more features and takes a little more navigating to get into the groove of how the work flow works.

I got serum because I was on the U-he thread a while ago and realized I dont need any more retro sounds and needed something more modern sounding to work with in my sound canvas. Serum turned out to be a good choice and I don't regret it.
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

Return to “Instruments”