2CAudio Precedence | 1.5 | Move Out Of Flatland. Take Precedence.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jbraner wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:50 pm We need a manual to tell us how to use these ;)
Is there a manual with the upcoming update?
Thanks
Of course.

But it is really conceptually rather simple:

delta = change

gain delta = how much gain changes depending on Angle and Distance
freq delta = how much frequency/spectrum/filters change depending on Angle and Distance
time delta = how much delay/phase/time-aspects change depending on Angle and Distance
width = how different L and R channels are in various phase-releated aspects

So if you are doing electronic music and have very bright synths and don't want them to loose High Freqs, as an example taken from a few posts ago, you use lower Freq Delta.

If you want less "time spreading" on transients on things like drums you use closer Distance (as one would normally mix drums anyway), and if you want even tighter, you can lower Time Delta.

The delta values control the relative strenght of various psychoacoustic cues of spatial hearing. The default delta values are appropriate for acoustic instruments IMHO. You can customize them as you see fit. In general, if the goal is to create a unified spatial environment such as scoring stage for orchestral/scoring work, when using multi-instance, you should choose these delta values to be mostly consistent for all tracks. Think of it as setting up your "pan laws", but here it is more "positioning rules" and it is more complex. You can make individual track variations for problem cases if needed. (like you are doing hybrid electronic/ochestral and you have a super-saw synth in your mix and you want it to be ultra-bright, you might want to undo some of the effect of Freq Delta --- it is less natural, but so is a super-saw by it's innate nature --- so as we get into more abstract things such as synths that never really existed in the real-world acoustic space, then basically no one has any idea what "correct" is, bc there is no precident for it, and hence you can define you own behavior as you deem to be creatively radically doodical tm. ) When working with real instruments I suggest to keep deltas similar/equal for all instruments/instances as much as possible and the default values should be a perfectly great choice to use.

Does it help?
Last edited by Andrew Souter on Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I don't want less of, i want complete eradication of the dry signal
Isn't that what you always get?
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Ploki wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:09 pm I don't want less of, i want complete eradication of the dry signal :) (was toying with the doubler presets)
The "Omega Mode" in the next update can be pushed a little further into less-natural special-fx territory if that is what you seek. :tu:

YES

Another test drive with a dry vivid cello and violin.
First dry, then Precedence and Breeze 2 added (each got its own insert of course here with violin 30 degrees angle to the left and the cello 30 to the right, followed by the same Breeze 2 preset).
Then i just added a B2 on top (via a stacked track where the violin and cello are the child tracks with the same settings).
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/v ... talization

Very nice example! :tu:

I almost like the middle version without B2 the best. It's a really excellent demo of purpose and function of Precedence. The separation achieved between the instruments is phenomenal, while the result still feels cohesive with everything part of the same space.

What string library is this BTW?

We're still working away on the updates, and made good progress on some of the other goals this past week...

Andrew Souter wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:07 pm Very nice example! :tu:

I almost like the middle version without B2 the best. It's a really excellent demo of purpose and function of Precedence. The separation achieved between the instruments is phenomenal, while the result still feels cohesive with everything part of the same space.

We're still working away on the updates, and made good progress on some of the other goals this past week...
The middle version is actually now a template (or Logic patch) i use :D
The sample library i used here are Emotional Cello and Emotional Violin, my favorite solo string libraries so far.
I also used the same technic with 4,5 or 6 instances and it sounds awesome but still glued together like you mentioned. If i just remove Precedence it really is like i miss a dimension.

Andrew Souter wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:07 pm Very nice example! :tu:

my first thoughts , as well ...
in the third version , too much blurring of detail occurs ...

...uups wrong thread.

Precedence with vocals.
First 2 voices dry, then a medium sized B2 on each of them, then Precedence and B2.
Then again dry, then a small Breeze 2, then Precedence and Breeze 2.
Last but not least 4 voices with Precedence and B2 and the same with Precedence and Breeze 2 again.
Of course all layers with the same settings but each with its own angle within Precedence.
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/vocal-spaces

any update on the release ?..

Manual?

In the meantime a last example for some time (sorry, i was too bored maybe).
4 instances (2 violin and 2 cello) dry then the same again, each with a Precedence and Breeze 2 (a small custom Chamber A preset) as insert.
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p ... reeze-2-x4

Cinebient wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:42 pm In the meantime a last example for some time (sorry, i was too bored maybe).
4 instances (2 violin and 2 cello) dry then the same again, each with a Precedence and Breeze 2 (a small custom Chamber A preset) as insert.
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p ... reeze-2-x4
that worked very well ...
marked difference , quite pronounced ...

re the release: as per usual as we accomplish one goal we end up in "feature creep" and can't resist the temptation to do other related (or not) goals.... We were mostly done with what we said we would do by January, but we added additional goals that seemed obtainable, and are obtainable, but took/take extra time. They are worth the time/effort though. A couple more weeks most likely..

Return to “Effects”