Logic Pro X alternative

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:31 pm That Apple excuse is the lamest I ever read. :lol:

WTF is a USB connector "only for charging devices"? That's not a USB connector AT ALL.
Even my 300 € shit laptop can do USB audio on all USB ports... kind of reminds me of the thing with earlier Macbooks, which had the power supply split between USB ports, thus weren't able to power some devices on the ports. And, yes, some Windows laptops had that too, i wouldn't expect that from a 1.000 € device though...

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:03 pm
Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:22 pm I really have no clue why I should have an alternative to Logic Pro... :roll:
because I might not have time to learn software when apple inexplicably drops it in two weeks
Sorry, that‘s BS and you know it...
Absolutely! Apple makes billions selling computers that are required to run their Pro Apps like Logic, MainStage, Final Cut Pro, Motion, etc. Just because they no longer support Aperture, doesn't mean they're dumping all other Pro Apps. True that FCP X had problems eight years ago when Apple transitioned from FCP7, but in 2019, it's an excellent mature app that I use all the time. The OP is worried about a problem that doesn't exist.
Looks like pure trolling, makes the whole exercise of the thread seem such afaic. It's not the only factor which does either, not that I have the energy to care more.

Apple will sell you Logic, it's one of the options on the buy page with the new computer along with FCPX.

chk071 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:51 am
fmr wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:31 pm That Apple excuse is the lamest I ever read. :lol:

WTF is a USB connector "only for charging devices"? That's not a USB connector AT ALL.
Even my 300 € shit laptop can do USB audio on all USB ports... kind of reminds me of the thing with earlier Macbooks, which had the power supply split between USB ports, thus weren't able to power some devices on the ports. And, yes, some Windows laptops had that too, i wouldn't expect that from a 1.000 € device though...
Pretty sure that answer was just bullshit, though. Somebody passing the buck.

jancivil wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:07 pm
[/quote]

I've had a 2018 15" MBP, 13" MBP, and Mini, all with T2, all 3 having audio issues if not used carefully. Not nearly as robust as previous models were.

i'm not trolling, i'm invested in the ecosystem a lot and I had so many issues with my first 2018 (the 15") i had more than a month of downtime because Apple wouldn't acknowledge the audio issues plaguing the machine, took them them 50 days for them to issue me a refund...

Well, 'the T2 chip' and 'you never know when Apple will pull the plug on Logic' seem to be separate topics. The latter statement seems trollish to me, nothing personal.
I wish I hadn't clicked on the link to the RME thread, but the answer from the Logic Senior whatever looks like bullshit to me. If you're saying (can't tell) the real issue is the T2 chip one would think you agree with that remark.

I have 2 powered USB hubs... one is a 10 port hub with usb-c to the computer and 10 usb-a ports. 7 are for data and 3 are only for charging devices. This is becoming pretty common now

Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:36 pm
jancivil wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:07 pm

I've had a 2018 15" MBP, 13" MBP, and Mini, all with T2, all 3 having audio issues if not used carefully. Not nearly as robust as previous models were.

i'm not trolling, i'm invested in the ecosystem a lot and I had so many issues with my first 2018 (the 15") i had more than a month of downtime because Apple wouldn't acknowledge the audio issues plaguing the machine, took them them 50 days for them to issue me a refund...
What issues are you having? (besides the usb ports)

pdxindy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:39 pm

I have 2 powered USB hubs... one is a 10 port hub with usb-c to the computer and 10 usb-a ports. 7 are for data and 3 are only for charging devices. This is becoming pretty common now
I may agree that's becoming pretty common, but those extra ports don't conform to the USB norm. That may be acceptable in a hub (a cheap peripheral where 3 out of 10 leaves 7 fully working, "real" USB ports).

OTOH, it seems totally unacceptable in a laptop that costs a premium price and has a (very) limited number of USB ports to begin with.
Fernando (FMR)

pdxindy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:41 pm
weird audio glitches and dropouts coupled with odd CPU spikes. They seem to be gone when using firewire audio tho, and doing a clean install as opposed to migration (the migrated system was less than a year old) seems to have mitigated them to the point of not obstructing my workflow.

On the 15" however, dropouts occurred via firewire as well.

jancivil wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:24 pm Well, 'the T2 chip' and 'you never know when Apple will pull the plug on Logic' seem to be separate topics. The latter statement seems trollish to me, nothing personal.
I wish I hadn't clicked on the link to the RME thread, but the answer from the Logic Senior whatever looks like bullshit to me. If you're saying (can't tell) the real issue is the T2 chip one would think you agree with that remark.
I lost track in the thread sorry... lot on my mind lately

The main concern for me was that logic is macOS exclusive, and Macs (sans the mini) were pretty much neglected for audio use since 2012.

Every decent studio has a machine room or at least isolation closet, so iMac Pro is out of the question, and two GPUs in the trashcan don't do much for audio.

The answers you get from Logic seniors are terrible, and they seem to be inconsistent, on top of that they never put anything in writing (for obvious reasons) so you're stuck with more or less accurate transcriptions of something someone over the phone pulled out of their ass.

RME did their homework tho, and i trust them on that.

fmr wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:50 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:39 pm

I may agree that's becoming pretty common, but those extra ports don't conform to the USB norm. That may be acceptable in a hub (a cheap peripheral where 3 out of 10 leaves 7 fully working, "real" USB ports).

OTOH, it seems totally unacceptable in a laptop that costs a premium price and has a (very) limited number of USB ports to begin with.
Apple is phasing out the USB-A ports and using USB-C

The USB-C ports (4 of them) work very well. I can connect much more stuff reliably to my new Mac than to my old one with 'proper' USB-A ports.

So the new computers are more capable than the old ones. If you want to call that unacceptable, that is up to you... I'm very happy with the sheer number of devices I can now connect without any issue.

I absolutely embrace USB-C, waiting if/when RME drops an updated UFX/UCX range with USB-C to upgrade from my trusty old Fireface.

Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:08 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:41 pm
weird audio glitches and dropouts coupled with odd CPU spikes. They seem to be gone when using firewire audio tho, and doing a clean install as opposed to migration (the migrated system was less than a year old) seems to have mitigated them to the point of not obstructing my workflow.

On the 15" however, dropouts occurred via firewire as well.
Fortunately for me I seem to be having no trouble with my 2018 Mini... I just updated to the latest RME driver. I'm gonna buy the RME UFX+ for my studio cause I want a few more inputs.

Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:35 pm I absolutely embrace USB-C, waiting if/when RME drops an updated UFX/UCX range with USB-C to upgrade from my trusty old Fireface.
I wish they had a USB-C offering...

pdxindy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:31 pm So the new computers are more capable than the old ones. If you want to call that unacceptable, that is up to you... I'm very happy with the sheer number of devices I can now connect without any issue.
The latest models don't have USB-A ports anymore. So, that excuse doesn't (hopefully) apply to these models.

BTW - only the top of the line has four ports. The other model only has two ports.

Out of curiosity - will an RME interface have issues if connected through a powered USB hub?
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”