why are live and bigwig the only DAWS to have clip launchers ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:53 pm
skipscada wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
tapiodmitriyevich wrote:Why is Bitwig the only DAW, which offers LFO/Envelope/SoMuchMoreSources based automation of ANY VSTs PARAMETER ...
It is not that various modulations cannot be done at all in other DAWs (depending on the DAW)... it is how easy and intuitive it is in Bitwig.
In Tracktion Waveform you can drag-and-drop LFO onto any plugin. From your description Bitwig seems to take the idea further, but the feature has been there in Waveform for some time, and I can't imagine a faster and easier way to implement it than in Waveform. In fact I'd say it's too easy. In the end it's like "if in doubt, put an LFO on it".
LFO in Waveform is a clumsy limited afterthought, so much better in Bitwig
that's a lil hyperbolic....tracktion allows you to create a plugin rack per track that can have any number of instrument and effect plugins in serial or parallel using visual routing which it has had for over a decade, and you can easily assign native modulators to anything inside it now....the actions panel on the side which can be toggled visible on demand, allows you to zero in on what is going on in a complicated set up in essentially the same manner as bitwig inspector and many other DAWs similar concepts...there may be only 7 modulators as of right now but they are pretty flexible and contain the most useful IMO,... envelope follower and midi tracker
yeah, bitwig takes it further, but the basic idea of creating a complicated patch with lots of sounds and movement is there, intuitive, and fast....lets not forget yellowtools had this same functionality well over a decade ago too for use in any DAW, so this notion that bitwigs main supposed selling point is so new and novel,...and tracktion's a clumsy limited afterthought,....are both overstatements
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Interesting... but waaaay off topic!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:35 am Interesting... but waaaay off topic!
how?....the last four pages of the thread were literally about native modulation vs automation and bitwig's implementation....clip launching posts stopped a while ago :)
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

^^^ then about this :D , at least with Isotonik Signal AL also knows the basic modulation things from now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXYR_CTbwAU
far from Bitwig although, but except the modulation things AL is more feature rich at this moment (writing this before The Grid era of Bitwig) Bitwig is bit specialized one
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

As to original question:

Live has audio clip aunchers, as it was originally designed as a performance sampler. It only evolved into fully-fledged DAW later on.
Now, Bitwig was created by a team of ex-Ableton employees, who copied their ideas but also developed advanced modulation scheme that was long-requested in Live, but not possible with current engine at that time. So Bitwig is improved Ableton in this sense.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Clip launching was not originally a classic DAW concept. Early DAWs were built to emulate a multi-track recording studio using a linear recording model with the tape recorder transport, and sometimes an on screen mixing console so you could see the channels and tracks, effects and busses, etc.

Ableton Live pioneered the clip launching concept with their session view, and later Bitwig tried to one-up Ableton.

A few other DAWs have included some form of clip launchers, such as the former Cakewalk Project 5 from over a decade ago, with their Groove Matrix, which was later ported to Sonar as the "Matrix View". Acoustica Mixcraft has the "Performance Panel". MOTU Digital Performer DP10 has now added the "Clips window".

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ca ... oject-5-v2
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... trix-magic
https://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/
http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

zzz00m wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:30 pm Clip launching was not originally a classic DAW concept. Early DAWs were built to emulate a multi-track recording studio using a linear recording model with the tape recorder transport, and sometimes an on screen mixing console so you could see the channels and tracks, effects and busses, etc.

Ableton Live pioneered the clip launching concept with their session view, and later Bitwig tried to one-up Ableton.
Imho, classic sequencing has to be mentioned here, too. Today it goes hand in hand with audio handling (the "A" in DAW) but in former days there were MIDI-only-"DAW"s like Cubase or Notator (today: Logic) for Atari.

Notator used some sort of clip launching right from the beginning and I recall hefty debates among the users if it's the better concept compared to Cubase's linear approach (similar to the MAC vs. WIN religious war).

Music X on the Amiga had clip launching, in the early 90s!

Via the "Play Sequences" function, that could be triggered via midi :)
You could also have Play Sequences within other Play Sequences, and basically treat midi sequences like sampled loops

The first I think was Opcode Vision and later StudioVision. But without that UI which first appeared in Live. There you could just play any sequence by hitting a key on your computer keyboard. They would not run together though, but hey that was 1989...

CoolColJ wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:07 pm Music X on the Amiga had clip launching, in the early 90s!

You could also have Play Sequences within other Play Sequences, and basically treat midi sequences like sampled loops
Cool, but sequencers are not DAWs. The "A" in DAW stands for "Audio".

So here we are talking about a DAW.

I have nothing against sequencers, in fact I still own an 8-track MIDI hardware sequencer from the early 90's. Bought it new at the local music shop back when I couldn't afford a computer. :D

zzz00m wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:06 pm
CoolColJ wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:07 pm Music X on the Amiga had clip launching, in the early 90s!

Cool, but sequencers are not DAWs. The "A" in DAW stands for "Audio".

So here we are talking about a DAW.

I have nothing against sequencers, in fact I still own an 8-track MIDI hardware sequencer from the early 90's. Bought it new at the local music shop back when I couldn't afford a computer. :D
Music-X did record audio, via the Amiga's 8 bit converters :)
Stored as samples

CoolColJ wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:21 pm
Music-X did record audio, via the Amiga's 8 bit converters :)
Stored as samples
Well like I said, never could afford a computer back in those days, LOL! I preferred the samples in my Roland JV-880 anyway, to any noises a computer could make at the time.

Missed out on the Amiga revolution. Maybe 8-bit will make a comeback!

Made by same people.

replicant X wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:30 pm Latest version of Playtime (clip launcher plugin for Reaper) is brilliant and stable.
Even better if you own Push is Möss's free software.
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”