Spire Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elektro Synth 1.5 Spire Presets Spire

Does Spire play samples?!

No

Christmas sale extended until January 8!
60 USD off on Spire and 50% off on all sounds:
https://reveal-sound.com/

Valentine's day sale!
60USD off on Spire and 30% off on all sounds until 25 February
https://reveal-sound.com/

Demoed it again due to the sale, but I'm still not convinced. Seems a bit unnecessary to have each oscillator, envelope and LFO on its own tab. Lots of clicking back and forth, and not seeing them side by side makes it a bit harder to visualize what's going on in a patch. Of course lots of synths use tabs, but for me it would make more sense to have tabs for Oscillators, LFO's, Envelopes, Filters etc. rather than displaying one of each component at at time. Everyone has different preferences, though, so this might be perfect for some.

Also found it a bit weird that the Envelope displays are static, while everything else updates in realtime.

You can definitely tell it's inspired by the Virus, just like Viper. I can see you get more filter types, oscillator types, and a stereo spread for the multi-oscillators. Not sure if that's worth $129 for me, but I'll keep the demo around until the 25th and see if I change my mind :)

The GUI isn't perfect, that's true. I also hope that the most important components (oscillators, amp and filter envelopes, and 2 LFO's) are available on one page in the future. I have full faith that Reveal Sound know about that though, and improve it, maybe in Spire 2.

Those envelope displays in Spire are actually much more useful than you think.

Elaborate please. :) Not that i find the envelope display bad, just wondering whether i might have missed something.

(Although i'm surely hoping for MSEG envelopes for Spire 2)

Well, for one, most synths don't have any visual feedback. Some synths (e.g. Serum), have full visual feedback.

Spire is much better than all the synths in category #1 (that is to say - the vast majority of synths).

You can click on the display and change the curve of the envelope segments. Other than that the displays seem worthless unless you are new to the concept of envelope stages.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

That's what i thought too, the envelope displays are merely to change envelope stages' slope. While it's nice to have that kind of visual feedback, it'd be nice to alter the stages' length, or freely adjust the slopes.

I still stand by my statement: the envelope displays are useful in a way that you can quickly glance at what kind of settings you've made.

They certainly could be improved, though. It’s 2019 and other plugins just do it better, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Ghost Dog wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:28 pm I still stand by my statement: the envelope displays are useful in a way that you can quickly glance at what kind of settings you've made.
No you can't really. The envelope display does not reflect the actual envelope. Raise the Attack and Release times. Does the display reflect those changes ? No. Unless that's a Demo restriction but I have a hard time thinking that it would be. Unless the display reflects the actual shape of the envelope it can be misleading. But it's easy to ignore. It's easier just to see the envelope shape by the position of the Faders.

Yes you can see the curve that each stage is set to so it's useful in that regards but other than that it's just eye candy. It looks like an MSEG but isn't really. You can't click the nodes to change the shape etc.

Every time I see a sale for Spire I try the Demo again. Just haven't ever pulled the trigger. It's not a bad synth I just have so many others...... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I meant, within the obvious limitations.

Return to “Instruments”