vocal mic in loudish environements

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really think you nailed it, actually. Can't argue with anything you wrote.
This particularly made me smile :)
jochicago wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:18 am …You may not prefer it when compared to more expensive mics, but it shows up for work every day and puts in a proud shift.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

I saw the thread title and my first reaction was SM7B and RE-20, so yeah +1 to the previous post. The SM-7B needs a LOT of gain though, so a mic preamp with 70-ish db of gain is going to be a requirement if you go that route, or a device like a cloudlifter.

Neither of these will sound airy like a condenser though, but they'll work great in denser productions. If you're a loud singer, a condenser in a slightly noisy environment is doable. I recorded a goth/metal singer years ago and he was so loud that I was barely using gain on the mic preamps. It's still doable otherwise. If you sing quietly [youll need more gain], have barking dogs next door [and in your house] and live under the flight path of a major metropolitan airport, like me, you'll definitely get bleed when tracking with a condenser, but most of that stuff gets drowned out in the mix and with the help of gating. Sucks to track in that environment though because you hear it all in the cans.

Don’t forget:
SM7 and SM7B sound different.
SM7 sounds more neutral, sm7b sounds little muffled.
Michael Jackson used SM7 not SM7B.
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”