Can REAPER Really Do Anything Other DAWs Can Do?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't feel like that's that big of a bummer, at least it's not to me, idk.. Doesn't make it not usable imo
:dog:

andypryce wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:08 pm You can do it with ''ghost copies'' in most of the DAWs
But the way FLS does it is really fast. You can lock content of playlist to patterns and quickly paint or brush patterns on related tracks
Except Reason. I know Reaper can do Ghost Copies or Cloned Clips, I know Logic and FL Studio can. I'm gonna hazard a guess that Pro Tools, Cubase and Ableton can do this too. I'm hoping this feature will come in Reason 11 which will hopefully be out this June / July.

There's also this amazing feature FL Studio and Logic can do which I wonder if Reaper can do. In FL Studio it's called Dump to Piano Roll and in Logic it's called Capture Last Recording. It's where if you had a drum pattern going and some piano chords say and you then played the track and didn't have it recording but you played an extremely good lead riff or bass line over the piano and drums, it's where you can dump the midi notes from the last played thing you did to the midi editor / piano roll that you didn't record if that makes sense. It's a great feature. Can Reaper do this?
Last edited by Eclectrophonic on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fourstepper wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:08 pm I don't feel like that's that big of a bummer, at least it's not to me, idk.. Doesn't make it not usable imo
I like much much better how Cubase or Studio One handle this task...
No need to set something up... just create a track and route it to the instrument... on this track you´ve got now a button to open the GUI directly from there... adding multiouts doesn´t need any new tracks... just check the outputs you want to activate and they are there... everything is linked and comunicates together... that easy...

Yes of course :) But that doesn't really mean that it cannot be done. There are things that some daws just simply can not do sometimes or there is absolutely no workaround
:dog:

Trancit wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:15 am
Satch1 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:01 am One thing Reaper can’t do AFAIK is separate automation accuracy from the buffer size. In FL Studio automation accuracy depends on the project PPQ setting. I think Reaper can do up to sample accurate for Vst3 and some Reaper parameters though.
Be very careful with this one as it causes in FL Studio much more hassle than it is worth...
It was just confirmed by the developers in the Looptalk, that this feature act like an oversampling of the whole engine... meaning that only at the lowest PPQ setting (96...10% of precision as other DAW´s working!!) it´s at "1x oversampling"... PPQ setting of 192 alreading uses double CPU for the whole engine etc...etc...etc...

Just in empty mode raising the PPQ from 96 to 960 (meaning FLS doing nothing) CPU load raises from initial 2% to 6%... with doing nothing!!!
Additionally it f*cks up the complete zoom behaviour...
Yes that’s true, it’s not ideal. It can certainly use a lot more CPU, and it would be nice if it weren’t tied to zoom level, but I like that I can still have high resolution automation if my buffer size is big.

Trancit wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:03 pmIf you want to learn Reaper, you should carefully watch kenny´s channel as he explains nearly everything what Reaper is capable of in a very understandable way...
Another good resource on youtube is the Reaper Blog: https://www.youtube.com/user/audiogeekzine/videos

Lot´s of cool stuff there
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't know about other people, I just know myself and I have this suspicion that my brain/memory capacity has long ago been overfilled.

If I were to watch all of Kenny Gioia's REAPER videos, I have this other suspicion that the process will super-confuse me and might even dump some of my scrabble word memory in order to make room for all the humungous amount of info in Kenny Gioia's videos that might not even be necessary in my case.

My approach is to just use the DAW and if something is not making sense then I just Google it and if that fails because I might not have used the right search words then I just go to the REAPER forum or even here at KVR and beg for help. It's awkward to beg and bother gurus but not all people are the same. Some people can read manuals and watch videos and retain those encyclopedic knowledge, some can't.

The REAPER gurus or more experienced REAPER users might actually help and in the process might educate a whole bunch of other REAPER beginners too that are having the same problem(s).

PS is Kenny Gioia Kenny G the saxaphonist?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

harryupbabble wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:53 pm It's awkward to beg and bother gurus but not all people are the same.
Why awkward?

I don't think so: Most "gurus" here and in the Reaper-forum will gladly
help you and every newbie. :)
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

redundant
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enroe wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:11 pm
harryupbabble wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:40 pm I'm just terrible at using the right Google search words. I would never have thought of using the search words "pooled midi items". I forgot what search words I used but "pooled midi items" was definitely not the words.
Haha, you're not alone!

The same thing has very different names:
-----------------------------------------------------
Emagic Creator/Notator ----> Ghost copies
Emagic/Apple Logic ---> Alias copies
Steinberg Cubase ---> Shared copies
Reaper ---> Pooled copies
-----------------------------------------------------
And very different ways to get the same thing to happen. I'd forgotten what it's called in Cubase, I don't work with it.
Sometimes one has to RTFM, or ask or even use teh googles

I call REAPER itself an "audio workstation operating system". That's how good it is in my mind. You can do things with it that no other DAW can even think of. I always like to mention ReaMote, ReaRoute, and ReaStream, for example. ReaMote lets you use another computer over the network as a VST DSP. You start a plugin on one computer and it uses the resources of another. ReaRoute is an ASIO driver that lets you use an ASIO compatible ASIO app and send its output to another ASIO app. It's a multiclient ASIO driver that lets you use all the ASIO apps and bring their audio output to REAPER. ReaStream lets you stream as many audio and MIDI channels from one computer to the other. That's how powerful REAPER is.

Admittedly, its weakness is complexity, I absolutely agree with that. It's for people who know a thing or 200 about computers. And it can be difficult to handle at times, due to that. It still happens to me that I want to do something simple, but the function is buried somewhere in the menus, with all the other 101 functions I never use. :sad: I hope they will address that usability thing at some point, but I doubt it. The developers like it just the way it is. And I like it too. It could be better, but it could be much worse, too.

You could have a DAW that is inefficient and not stable... ;)

I really love REAPER's CPU efficiency and stability. That's like a paramount to me.

Cheers! :tu:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:40 am
axb312 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:29 amAlso, an explorer type menu like Studio one from where you can drag and drop in just about anything...
Media Explorer?
Not exactly. From S1's explorer you can drag and drop a plug-in or a plug-in preset or Media.

Also, Reaper is unstable with my Line 6 Helix whereas S1 was rock solid. Still using reaper because of how it handles keyswithching (via rearticulate).

enroe wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:45 pm
harryupbabble wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:53 pm It's awkward to beg and bother gurus but not all people are the same.
Why awkward?

I don't think so: Most "gurus" here and in the Reaper-forum will gladly
help you and every newbie. :)
It's kind of embarrassing, just like panhandling is embarrassing?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Lol no Kenny is not the saxophonists haha! He's a professional producer and mastering engineer who been making tutorials online forever now, he started with pro tools awhile back but since moved to Reaper early.

And that's not how the brain works, sometimes Ill listen to Kenny's video on a subject at work in the background knowing even tho i can't focus on the video, when i get home and try to do the thing it'll already be in my brain so i can react more intuitively
harryupbabble wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Trancit wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:03 pmIf you want to learn Reaper, you should carefully watch kenny´s channel as he explains nearly everything what Reaper is capable of in a very understandable way...
Another good resource on youtube is the Reaper Blog: https://www.youtube.com/user/audiogeekzine/videos

Lot´s of cool stuff there
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't know about other people, I just know myself and I have this suspicion that my brain/memory capacity has long ago been overfilled.

If I were to watch all of Kenny Gioia's REAPER videos, I have this other suspicion that the process will super-confuse me and might even dump some of my scrabble word memory in order to make room for all the humungous amount of info in Kenny Gioia's videos that might not even be necessary in my case.

My approach is to just use the DAW and if something is not making sense then I just Google it and if that fails because I might not have used the right search words then I just go to the REAPER forum or even here at KVR and beg for help. It's awkward to beg and bother gurus but not all people are the same. Some people can read manuals and watch videos and retain those encyclopedic knowledge, some can't.

The REAPER gurus or more experienced REAPER users might actually help and in the process might educate a whole bunch of other REAPER beginners too that are having the same problem(s).

PS is Kenny Gioia Kenny G the saxaphonist?

axb312 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:31 am
axb312 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:29 amAlso, an explorer type menu like Studio one from where you can drag and drop in just about anything...
Media Explorer?
Not exactly. From S1's explorer you can drag and drop a plug-in or a plug-in preset or Media.
You can drag and drop plugins and media in Reaper's Explorer too (not sure about presets but in S1 that only applies to certain formats anyway)

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:11 am
axb312 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:31 am
Media Explorer?
You can drag and drop plugins and media in Reaper's Explorer too (not sure about presets but in S1 that only applies to certain formats anyway)
In S1, you can even drag complete channels from other songs, including instrument, effects etc. So if you had a really cool sound in one track that you want to reuse, it's just a matter of opening it in the explorer and drag+drop.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”