POLL: Which DAW would you choose if all things were equal?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Which DAW Would You Choose On A Level Playing Field?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:38 pm

Ableton Live
13%
Acoustica Mixcraft Pro Studio
0%
Adobe Audition
No votes
Apple GarageBand
No votes
Apple Logic Pro X
8%
Ardour
1%
Avid Pro Tools
4%
BandLab Sonar
1%
BandLab Cakewalk
1%
Bitwig Studio
11%
Cockos Reaper
13%
Harrison Mixbus
0%
Harrison Mixbus 32-C
1%
Image-Line FL Studio
7%
PreSonus Studio One
9%
Propellerhead Reason
3%
Ohm Force Ohm Studio
No votes
Magix Acid Pro
No votes
Magix Samplitude Pro X
1%
MAGIX Sequoia
No votes
MOTU Digital Performer
2%
MuTool MuLab
2%
Renoise
2%
Renoise Redux
No votes
Steinberg Cubase
11%
Steinberg Nuendo
1%
Tracktion Waveform
4%
Tracktion T-series
0%
*OTHER (please write-in vote, i.e., Soundbridge/Lumit, NCH MixPad, Distractionware Bosca Ceoil, Numerology, etc.)
1%
Experimental Scene Darkwave Studio, Traverso, Magix Music Maker)
0%

Total votes: 403

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, one could be gathering information about features. All things are not equal per the definition in the OP, which is peculiar I think, since I've had Logic before and have interrogated a couple of the features, including yesterday with the last one.

What is a level playing field in this scenario?
rsp
sound sculptist

everything costs 100 bucks is a level playing field as per the OP

Logic Pro. Mostly because I already know it well enough, though I'm not a key-command power user. It does everything that I need, and probably more. The FX are excellent, especially Space Designer and Delay Designer, and the new Chromaverb is really nice. The stock drums aren't bad, really (though I have ADD2). I've made do with worse GM drums, like the ones in my JV-1010. Or, even worse, trying to get a Yamaha RX-11 to sound 'real.' The 'Drummer' function, while I don't use it for my recordings, can get you up and jamming pretty quickly. I've used its loops, albeit sparingly.

Also, having an iPad, I get Logic Remote for free, and I can just control a lot of what I need to control sitting on my couch, which, since I record on my own, makes things a lot easier, especially on my back.

I've never once had a showstopper of a bug.

The updates that have rolled around every year (except this one, so far) have been excellent. Alchemy, Smart Tempo, easy articulation setup (I've only had a problem with one 3rd party instrument, predictably, IKM's Sampletank 3), Studio Horns and Strings, Chromaverb. I paid €179 for it in 2013.

And I think 'needing a new Mac' every 2 years is a bit of an exaggeration. This one is into its 4th year with no issues (knock on wood). I bought it autumn, 2015, and I have hopes that it will go until 2021. I don't care if I don't get the latest and greatest updates, because I think Mojave is the last OS I am going to risk. I expect, though, this computer will be eligible for OS updates for another 2 years, at least.

I don't really use the EXS sampler, but just remembering that calls to mind the Mellotron that Apple gave us last update.

With my RME FF802, I have pretty low latency (64 samples, 4.4 ms) that manages pretty much everything I've thrown at it. Of course I mix at 1,056 samples, but I don't often need to.

There's probably more. I was 'branded' by Apple 30 years ago when I first used one at the lab in university. So, unless Apple does something to really piss me off, I'll probably stay with this platform.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bombadil wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:23 pm The stock drums aren't bad, really (though I have ADD2). I've made do with worse GM drums, like the ones in my JV-1010. Or, even worse, trying to get a Yamaha RX-11 to sound 'real.'
I was the drummer in my band with one! :x

it was the 80s. People would actually ask me where the drummer was on stage. I sat at a desk - the kind of desk you have in the school classroom - operating the thing.

pretty flat affect, seriously

I used a 2010 Mac from October 2017 through to end of last summer. I wasn't using Logic but my shit was all current. People talk such bollocks here. I could have used Logic 9 I'm pretty sure.
Whoops

for Logic Pro X, then

It is quite dead, now, though, of course.

Reaper. The level of customisation is second to none. My install of Reaper would be almost unrecognisable to most users.. For my job, mastering, it's just beautiful to build a unique, super fast and efficient environment. Macros, scripts.. too many unique things to mention (other long term Reaper users will understand).
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Three cheers for Mixcraft! There, I said it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

Chapelle wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 pm SAWStudio64
You are a naughty boy.

Cubase and Studio One for me
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Logic and Renoise. Been using the former since 4.5 on windows 2000. Have had no compelling reason to switch from it for my main DAW. Renoise makes my brain work differently and I end up making stuff in it I’d never make in Logic. I’ve only started using it in the past year but it’s lit af.

Ableton Live. Somehow I got tired of FL Studio (after using -and loving- it since 2006) navigating through endless windows, and becoming bloated and confusing over the years, but Live 10 was the total opposite. Simple, streamlined, consistent, intuitive, yet always powerful. Fell in love with this well oiled near perfect German machinery. I just want the program to be completed with the very few important features it lacks (e.g. comping, etc.), though version 10.1 is very near to that ideal to me. Not interested in any other DAW. Tried really hard to like Bitwig..but nope, not a chance.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I would still choose REAPER because it let me edit 20,000 midi items and save them all, and it took only about 2 minutes.
At the time, I asked people if their DAWs could do that. No one stated "My DAW could do that". Not one person.
Not even the person who figured out how to do it. And I think he/she uses many DAWs.

Hey, what's the origin of the phrase "Different strokes for different folks"? By strokes they don't mean the medical condition, right?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

It would take me a month to amass 20,000 MIDI items in the first place, so how long it took to process them would be irrelevant.

I'm still using Orion after around 20 years. A year or so ago I tried to move to Bitwig but I didn't like it at all. I missed all the high quality instruments and effects that come with Orion and I really missed the simplicity of the workflow. I've also got Maschine but I don't like it much, either.

Why I originally chose Orion is that it works in a very similar way to the way I worked for 15 years before that with my hardware and in a real studio. Pretty much everything I had already learned could be applied to Orion and I hardly had to learn anything new. In 20 years I think I have looked at the help/manual exactly twice. OTOH, I owned both Cakewalk (pre-Sonar) and Cubase VST but found them horrible for trying to get anything done. They felt like trying to make music with Excel. I had Fruityloops (pre-VST support), too, but found it far too limiting. I got more done in Orion in the first three months I had it than I had got done in the year beforehand while I was trying various other options. In a way it chose itself.

Orion's mixer-centric workflow is pretty much unique in software and that's what anchors it in the studio paradigm. I also like that I can see all the important things at once - the full mixer and master section, all my instrument toolbars and the playlist - and everything else is literally just one click or hotkey combo away. I don't need something with every conceivable option, I am happy to use whatever minor workarounds I might need once in a while if makes my workflow super-fast the rest of the time, which is exactly what Orion does. e.g. I don't think I have ever had the need to see two lanes of automation at one time) not counting velocity). In fact, I think you'd struggle to find two lanes of automation in any of my music as I tend to achieve those effects in other ways.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”