Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:33 pm
Teksonik wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:03 pm
BERFAB wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:57 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:18 pm Codes were given out for owners of Tantra and Diversion. So that's a cheap (free?) purchase option for Thorn.
I've had Diversion since it first came out. Bought it from DS, I believe. How do I get the code for Thorn? Was an email sent or is it in an account page? Would love to get Thorn. DS does solid work.

Cheers
-B
I don't think the idea was for someone to be able to purchase Thorn new for $19 only the upgrade to 1.2 although it seems like some people are taking advantage of an error in judgement by PA and getting it new for $19. :?
This. Plus it appears that loophole has since been closed based on subsequent comments.

I appreciate the insight. Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to scam a freebie. I thought it might have been a legit promotion. IMHO, DS deserves every cent he gets for his hard work.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

I think I'm going to turn off my PMs.

One of the members here (not mentioning any names) had to PM to tell me off about my opinions about DS and PA and that I'm missing out if I'm not going to buy anymore DS plugins even if sold through PA, which I hate with a passion.

For one thing, and maybe this is the ONLY thing that matters, PA's prices are INSANE. I'd have to be out of my mind to pay those prices for a synth that WOULD have sold for a lot less before the merger.

Nothing else really matters. Forget about the PA crap way that they pulled this whole thing off. I get DS has to survive. Well, he's going to have to survive without me.

In the future, if anybody wants to tell me off, do it publicly. Don't PM me. If you do, I will not only ignore your PM but I will block you from sending me any further PMs. I don't appreciate it. I don't tell off others in PMs and I expect others to give me the same respect.

No wonder I hate this place sometimes.

Sheesh.

/Rant

that's nothing to the weird shit pm i got the other day :lol:

someone agreeing with/supporting one of the batshit crazy conspiracies i mentioned :hihi:

vurt wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:51 pm that's nothing to the weird shit pm i got the other day :lol:

someone agreeing with/supporting one of the batshit crazy conspiracies i mentioned :hihi:
All I know is some people here are obsessed with DS. Like there's some kind of love affair going on. I mean why the frick does anybody even care if I buy anything from DS or PA? I sure as hell don't care what anybody here buys or doesn't buy.

Sheesh.

well, i shouldnt be so dismissive about satan's involvement in modern technology and who's to say beyonce isn't a clone of nefertiti?
one pm and my whole world view is totally turned upside down :shrug:

wagtunes wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:54 pm All I know is some people here are obsessed with DS. Like there's some kind of love affair going on. I mean why the frick does anybody even care if I buy anything from DS or PA? I sure as hell don't care what anybody here buys or doesn't buy.

Sheesh.
There sure are a few watchdogs/groupies (decide for yourself which you prefer) of DS active on this thread.

You should visit some u-he threads ...

can someone confirm that free running LFOs always retrigger when your sound has fast attack/release envelopes.

Also that using LFO2 to modulate LFO1 speed doesn't work either?

Also , I got sent two codes for some odd reason. Not sure if I can give it away on here as it may be tied to my account?

yeah i think it's tied to your account

Demoed it, didn't buy it. Nice of PA to not have an uninstaller, meh.

Anyway, some bugs/comments, stuff that kept me from buying :
- Keyboard focus stealing (daw start results in parameter changes and/or preset switching while gui is open)
- Lfo's and envelopes don't work as expected, sometimes even randomly stop working ?
- Adding lfo or envelope to osc fx results in serious weird behaviour. I read somewhere that this shouldn't be done because of added latency or something, pretty weird to make it available then.
- No right-click parameter resetting, all other (also PA) plug-ins usually have this.
- Almost all presets use the (imo ugly) boost/limiter, unfortunately no way to globally switch this off while browsing.
- Weird random clicks at certain filter or amp envelope settings, even with that click function.
- No way to real-time control/lfo/envelope wavetables like all competitors can ?
- Some random cpu-spikes, especially with longer release settings.

I can see the potential of this synth, especially in the osc fx, wavetable shaping and glitch seq. But as long as they're not properly controllable it feels like an unfinished product. Soundwise it's as good as the next synth, especially when you switch the boost and some of the internal fx off. But that's a matter of taste i guess...
More BPM please

Did anyone try this with Studio One v4 Mac? AU gave me massive CPU spikes especially when arpeggio was on and VST has gui lag (knobs take a second or more to respond). I filed a report and they didn't seem to be known issues.

Ran out of demo already and thinking what to do with the feb voucher.

dionenoid wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:46 pm Demoed it, didn't buy it. Nice of PA to not have an uninstaller, meh.

Anyway, some bugs/comments, stuff that kept me from buying :
- Keyboard focus stealing (daw start results in parameter changes and/or preset switching while gui is open)
- Lfo's and envelopes don't work as expected, sometimes even randomly stop working ?
- Adding lfo or envelope to osc fx results in serious weird behaviour. I read somewhere that this shouldn't be done because of added latency or something, pretty weird to make it available then.
- No right-click parameter resetting, all other (also PA) plug-ins usually have this.
- Almost all presets use the (imo ugly) boost/limiter, unfortunately no way to globally switch this off while browsing.
- Weird random clicks at certain filter or amp envelope settings, even with that click function.
- No way to real-time control/lfo/envelope wavetables like all competitors can ?
- Some random cpu-spikes, especially with longer release settings.

I can see the potential of this synth, especially in the osc fx, wavetable shaping and glitch seq. But as long as they're not properly controllable it feels like an unfinished product. Soundwise it's as good as the next synth, especially when you switch the boost and some of the internal fx off. But that's a matter of taste i guess...

excellent post. all true, but I still go with it because I hear the potential and I just switch off all the cover up stuff (like most synths). almost all software synths use too much fx for good reason. it's just the difference between hardware and software. thorn is one of my center pieces tho so I ride with it.

Fleer wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:27 am You should visit some u-he threads ...

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:54 am
Fleer wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:27 am You should visit some u-he threads ...

he's saying tons of fanboys in all the u-he threads here and he's right.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Protoculture has just released a pretty cool soundset for Thorn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pYpr0Jk2iY

Available here for $24.95: https://blackoctopus-sound.com/product/euphorbia/

Contains:
10 Arp patches
22 Bass patches
4 Chord patches
18 Lead patches
16 Pad patches
17 Pluck patches
13 Sequence patches
100 patches total, sorted into categories
Great for Psytrance, Trance, Techno, House and Ambient to name a few.
Black Octopus Sound | Samples & Presets | VST Plugins & Software (Diva, Harmor, Spire, FL Studio, IK Multimedia & more)

Return to “Instruments”