Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Sparky77
KVRian
858 posts since 29 Sep, 2006

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:23 am

zvenx wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:52 am
Didn't know he had presets for Omnisphere. .

Rsp
Good to know, I didn't know that either.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

zzz00m
KVRAF
1738 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:05 am

Sparky77 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:23 am
zvenx wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:52 am
Didn't know he had presets for Omnisphere. .

Rsp
Good to know, I didn't know that either.
He doesn't. He explains why in his comment on that post you quoted...if you read a little further down page 1.
Windows 10; with instruments from Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

brok landers
KVRAF
6099 posts since 26 Sep, 2003 from right here, as you can see ...

Re: Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:26 am

Sparky77 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:23 am
zvenx wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:52 am
Didn't know he had presets for Omnisphere. .

Rsp
Good to know, I didn't know that either.
nope. that's the other one. :)
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

User avatar
4damind
KVRAF
4733 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Re: Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:41 am

Yeah, well known sound designer and a sound design porn star :P His real name is Afaik Nico Herz.
I'm not a fan of most sound designers and to be honest, I never bought a preset pack etc. But the Bigtone stuff is some of best I've heard because they are usable. Not this typical "showroom" crap, which sounds great if you play it with one key but is completely unusable in a track.

AnX
KVRAF
3941 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:50 am

4damind wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:41 am
Yeah, well known sound designer and a sound design porn star :P His real name is Afaik Nico Herz.
I'm not a fan of most sound designers and to be honest, I never bought a preset pack etc. But the Bigtone stuff is some of best I've heard because they are usable. Not this typical "showroom" crap, which sounds great if you play it with one key but is completely unusable in a track.
very much agree, and a very agreable chap he is too

User avatar
Arksun
KVRian
917 posts since 29 May, 2002 from UK

Re: Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:12 am

As a professional sound designer myself, I've always tended to do my own thing and for the most part use my own sounds.

..but if there's one other professional sound designer who's sounds have always inspired me and made me want to use them in my own tracks (which I have)... it's Big Tone :)
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

User avatar
bmanic
KVRAF
8300 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Re: Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:21 am

@Arksun: 100% agreed. Oh, and I do tend to use your sounds as well. :tu:

I'm always dissecting Nico's sounds when I find something that makes me go "WTF?? How is it doing THAT!!" and learn from the experience. So yeah, keep on keeping on Nico. You rock!! :D
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

User avatar
Russell Grand
KVRAF
1707 posts since 22 May, 2017

Re: Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:22 am

zzz00m wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:39 am
Russell Grand wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:36 am
zvenx wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:52 am
I think Brok Landers was a porn star?
:hihi:
Why do you think he is called Big Tone? Just remove the "T" and what do you have? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

jondl_2000
KVRist
131 posts since 5 May, 2006

Re: Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:51 am

ATS wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:03 pm
Examigan wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:02 pm
ATS wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:48 pm
There was another really great sound designer on here that was really great at pads and like space music type stuff. Sadly he died. I cannot remember his name but I am positive many will know who I am talking about. He was a super nice guy too.
Maybe you're thinking of Tim Conrardy?
yeah that was him!
i never made his acquaintance, but admired his work very much. You can find a repository of his free patches at https://rekkerd.org/patches/sound-desig ... -conrardy/ I continue to enjoy his patches for Absynth.

Purchased Luftrum 16 for DIVA specifically because it was a collaboration with BigTone. Nice soundest, hope to hear more.
"All persons living or dead are purely coincidental." - Vonnegut

brok landers
KVRAF
6099 posts since 26 Sep, 2003 from right here, as you can see ...

Re: Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:52 pm

edit - wrong recipient.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

brok landers
KVRAF
6099 posts since 26 Sep, 2003 from right here, as you can see ...

Re: Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:54 pm

Arksun wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:12 am
As a professional sound designer myself, I've always tended to do my own thing and for the most part use my own sounds.

..but if there's one other professional sound designer who's sounds have always inspired me and made me want to use them in my own tracks (which I have)... it's Big Tone :)
this from you... :love: lemme give that back immediately... that "train" sound in zebra still makes me go wtf every time... :tu:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

brok landers
KVRAF
6099 posts since 26 Sep, 2003 from right here, as you can see ...

Re: Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:55 pm

bmanic wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:21 am
@Arksun: 100% agreed. Oh, and I do tend to use your sounds as well. :tu:

I'm always dissecting Nico's sounds when I find something that makes me go "WTF?? How is it doing THAT!!" and learn from the experience. So yeah, keep on keeping on Nico. You rock!! :D
hey bmanic, thank you! still here? loong time no hear... hope you're all good. :tu:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

brok landers
KVRAF
6099 posts since 26 Sep, 2003 from right here, as you can see ...

Re: Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:57 pm

4damind wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:41 am
Yeah, well known sound designer and a sound design porn star :P His real name is Afaik Nico Herz.
I'm not a fan of most sound designers and to be honest, I never bought a preset pack etc. But the Bigtone stuff is some of best I've heard because they are usable. Not this typical "showroom" crap, which sounds great if you play it with one key but is completely unusable in a track.
just listened to some tracks on your soundcloud page. i must say some of them fantastic - instant italo feeling. :tu:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

User avatar
4damind
KVRAF
4733 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Re: Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:01 pm

brok landers wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:57 pm
4damind wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:41 am
Yeah, well known sound designer and a sound design porn star :P His real name is Afaik Nico Herz.
I'm not a fan of most sound designers and to be honest, I never bought a preset pack etc. But the Bigtone stuff is some of best I've heard because they are usable. Not this typical "showroom" crap, which sounds great if you play it with one key but is completely unusable in a track.
just listened to some tracks on your soundcloud page. i must say some of them fantastic - instant italo feeling. :tu:
Thank you so much Nico :tu: That honors me, especially because it comes from the man with the golden ears at Bigtone :phones:

codec_spurt
KVRAF
3499 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Re: Who is BigTone? Homepage? Producers?

Post Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:30 pm

Musical Gym wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 pm
The other BT is quite the legend, too:
Brian Wayne Transeau
...
Yeah, I'm such an idiot that I thought BT was "BT" for a long time. All these patches popping up everywhere. I wondered how Mr. Transeau had all this time to create all these amazing patches when he was living the life of a superstar DJ/Producer. And to be fair to Brian, he is actually a pretty good sound designer in his own right, so it was an easy mistake to make.

Some of Big Tone's best work is in the legendary Hypersonic 2 VST. It's not for nothing he is considered a God among preset designers.

See this post from 12 years ago:

viewtopic.php?t=182823&start=150

That's a great thread - read all 12 pages - back in the day when KVR really was great! :-) j/k - KVR is still great!
well, i know i know my stuff, but:
1. there's always someone better than you
2. taste differs ... i know a lot of users of the synths i have created patches for that actually don't like my sounds ...
3. when i was starting this buisness i was with no real conquerers, nowadays thats a bit different, there are quite a few sounddesigners that are really knowing their stuff as well, or, to say it like that: they're very successful, too, so they definately seem to nail the head for a lot of users ...

i always try to learn and to stay open, maybe that's an important key ...

That was in response to the mighty Subz's praise of his programming. You can see where he gets his humble reputation from. It's always the quiet ones...


On another not and just to reiterate what a few others have said about BT's sound design:

Yeah he does a lot of bread and butter patches - that is why we love him - he can get a new synth up and running in no time. But the bread and butter patches are a notch above the usual bread and butter patches others give out. Not to be disparaging to other great sound designers who give of their time freely as well.

But then he sneaks in a few of those "WoW" patches and you think 'so this synth can do this - interesting'. He's done this on quite a few synths.

Also, his music is pretty amazing too. Incredibly good in fact. I hope I'm not mixing things up here, but a track he did just with the presets he did for z3ta is astounding. Great music. You would never think it was the same synth. He would have won a one synth challenge with that for sure.

I hope I'm not getting this wrong here, I'm pretty sure it was him. There was some sound designer that did an included bank for z3ta and it was out of this world the music demo they did. Pretty sure it was BigTone. I still have it on an old hard drive, whoever it was. Perhaps he'll let us know and share the track again if it was indeed him!

Time moves on. New computers. New VSTs. Old hard drives. Faded memories. Deadened brain cells. :-)

I've got great respect for the men (and women) that take the time to bring a new synth to life. That do it for free, or possibly a free copy of the synth, or perhaps even a small fee (I don't know). After a while, certain names keep cropping up.

BigTone is at the top of that list IME.

He isn't just the best, but he's probably one of the most generous as well.

He should never be taken for granted.

Return to “Soundware”