Korg Minilogue XD

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

D-Fusion wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:32 amI use the compressor to make the filter work like the Prologue filter so i get no volume or bass reduction when using resonance.
Ah, to make up for the poor filter design of many synths that copy the Moog ladder filter. That makes sense, although I prefer not to use synths with filters like that in the first place, so it doesn't really come up.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:34 am
D-Fusion wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:32 amI use the compressor to make the filter work like the Prologue filter so i get no volume or bass reduction when using resonance.
Ah, to make up for the poor filter design of many synths that copy the Moog ladder filter. That makes sense, although I prefer not to use synths with filters like that in the first place, so it doesn't really come up.
Yup :tu:
I have other synths with stronger filter out of the box too but i find it great to have both options so ladder doesn't bother me that much.
But we all have different taste when it comes to instruments and so on so that's ok :)

I don't think the original minilogue has a ladder filter. There was some discussion after it was released and some folks examined the circuitry and so far as I recall it wasn't anything like a moog-style ladder. Could be wrong of course.

I don't think so, either. It's just a very utilitarian, characterless if you like, filter set-up. It does the job and that's about it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

True.
They are tweaking and reusing the Arp Odyssey filters in their Mini,Mono and Prologue synths :tu:
The 24lp filter in Minilogue is the one Arp made to sound like the Ladder filter so they are very similar in sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTqh6RJETJ8

If that's really what they are doing, they are idiots. The Odyssey sounds great in spite of poor filters (all three are pretty limited), not because of it. But in this demo, the Arp's filter sweep sounds way more interesting. It gets that kind of wind whistling thing happening which is way cooler than the very sterile sound of the Korg. The guy's a bit of a dill, though, in that he acknowledges that the oscillators sound very similar but misses how different the filters sound.

If you have a Minilogue XD or Prologue, then these look nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDS_9ys-B6I
<List your stupid gear here>

This French review of the Minilogue XD has some really high quality audio examples, about halfway down the page. So if you really need some decent audio to make your mind up, then this might be helpful.

https://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-anal ... ue-xd.html

Not my cup of tea, but having the option is cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3kQ9G3Jj6A

Sounds interesting but how does it compare to what Prologue can do without it? TRK-01 has a couple of novel synthesis engines (West?) but mostly I don't find them very useful. Some types of synthesis are more popular than others for a reason, I think.

egbert101 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:19 pm Not my cup of tea, but having the option is cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3kQ9G3Jj6A
Sounds cool :tu:
I was so happy when i got back my Prologue from service yesterday (Fried motherboard).
What they didn't do was recalibrating the pitch and mod wheel so the pitch wheel is -88 in the middle -84 when moved up and -92 when moved down and the mod wheel goes from 8% Bottom and 16% max :clap: :roll: :help: :dog:

Do they only fix a problem and not test things properly before shipping things back?
There is no instructions anywhere on how to calibrate it yourself either like you can do on other Analogue synths via a menu.

Maybe a low probability shot in the dark, but for mod and pitch wheels to be that fubar, it might be worth looking inside and see if the ribbon cable connectors from the wheel circuit board are properly oriented and properly seated on the main board (or wherever they connect).

I've never been inside a prologue but something that off doesn't sound like a calibration issue. Sometimes wheels are "auto calibrated" on bootup assuming the wheels are in default position during power-on.

JCJR wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:01 pm Maybe a low probability shot in the dark, but for mod and pitch wheels to be that fubar, it might be worth looking inside and see if the ribbon cable connectors from the wheel circuit board are properly oriented and properly seated on the main board (or wherever they connect).

I've never been inside a prologue but something that off doesn't sound like a calibration issue. Sometimes wheels are "auto calibrated" on bootup assuming the wheels are in default position during power-on.
That is my thought aswell.
Maybe the service man connected them wrong Mod on pitch and pitch on mod wheel?
I sent a mail to Korg support now to hear what they have to say and until then i have disabled the pitch bend send and receive in the global menu so i don't play all notes at -2 octaves.

I really don't want to send it in for service again since i took a few months before i got it back.

Hey thanks for reading... n00b here

Question: Can I hook up my midi pedalboard to the Korg Minilogue XD to play notes like the keyboard and any other keyboard external midi controller?

Ref: Studiologic Pedalboard MP117

Thank you
Cheers

Yes, that should work perfectly. It is exactly what the pedalboard is designed for.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”