Hording audio software installers

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
splinefish
KVRer
13 posts since 23 Jun, 2005

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:00 am

Am I the only one who has hundreds of gigabytes of installers/zipped kontakt libraries stored away on a NAS. Being paranoid that one day the company behind the product will stop offering redownloads?

crisis-at-music
KVRist
314 posts since 3 Aug, 2004 from Kiel, Germany

Re: Hording audio software installers

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:26 am

No, you are not alone. That is the exact way I am saving my audio software and libraries.
Electronic pop music with classical elements: https://soundcloud.com/crisis-at-music

Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
1633 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:38 am

Same here

whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
26790 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:53 am

Wouldnt not have my own backups of the installers on a NAS
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

Gamma-UT
KVRAF
4629 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:30 am

I do. The NAS is backed up though.

AsPeeXXXVIII
KVRist
403 posts since 17 Aug, 2015 from Finland

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:47 am

splinefish wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:00 am
Being paranoid that one day the company behind the product will stop offering redownloads?
That shouldn't be a big concern. I know some plugin companies that offer downloads even for discontinued products. The only reason I can think of for a company stopping to offer downloads for a product is if they lose it in a hard drive crash or some such mishap.
"Creativity is a lot like sex. When it's spontaneous, it's good, but forcing it makes it bad."
My metal music | My electronic music

splinefish
KVRer
13 posts since 23 Jun, 2005

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:09 am

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:47 am
splinefish wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:00 am
Being paranoid that one day the company behind the product will stop offering redownloads?
That shouldn't be a big concern. I know some plugin companies that offer downloads even for discontinued products. The only reason I can think of for a company stopping to offer downloads for a product is if they lose it in a hard drive crash or some such mishap.
Yep, i've never had to use the backups other than for convenience so far. I have seen something like "You have 4/5 downloads remaining" before though, so my hording won't stop anytime soon :wink:.

pljones
KVRAF
6411 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from London, UK

Post Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:52 am

And then there's the small companies who simply vanish off the face of the 'Net, with no archive.org presence left behind: either you're at the mercy of more dubious sources or you make sure you've got your own.

Part of me is fascinated by software evolution. I have MUTON-Free.zip - 700Kb of a tentative first step towards what has become 32Mb of mulab-7-7-4-win64.zip, for example. I've not missed many releases... (I also have Muzys244-20021231.Zip, from an even earlier incarnation of the software.)

I do clear some of the less interesting ones out every now and then, just keeping the installer for my current installed version.

I don't bother with a NAS, though. Maybe I should, as an additional step, as the drive I keep everything like this on is the only hard disk I've ever had fail on me. (The replacement seems fine and I didn't lose... much... that I've noticed...)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”