Drum Machine layout standard?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a standard for drum machines/drum kits, as far as what instrument goes in what slot?

Have been thinking of picking up some midi patterns for drum machine so got a demo pack. Dropped the files into DAW and pattern was layed out but pretty sure the pattern was not triggering the right instruments. Most drum packs seem to be for abelton, and Im on Bitwig, so not sure if thats the problem.

Seems as if the first 4 are always:

Kick Snare HH OHH

But after that not sure whats the standard

The only 'official' standard is the General MIDI layout, but its not necessarily adhered to for non-GM MIDI files.

See the last table on this page:
https://www.midi.org/specifications-old ... -sound-set
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

It depends on a number of things really, but for most MIDI files you can edit them once they're in your DAW. Not sure how Bitwig works, but in Live you can select the note for each clip and drag it to another note and thus correct anything that doesn't align right.

You'll probably run into the issue from time to time no matter which DAW you use, so probably good to just assume that you might need to edit your clips sometimes.
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:39 pm It depends on a number of things really, but for most MIDI files you can edit them once they're in your DAW. Not sure how Bitwig works, but in Live you can select the note for each clip and drag it to another note and thus correct anything that doesn't align right.

You'll probably run into the issue from time to time no matter which DAW you use, so probably good to just assume that you might need to edit your clips sometimes.
Yeah I can just move them around. I might not exactly know what the original idea was, but I guess I can just put it on different instrument and see how it turns out. Been tempted to buy some midi for drum kit but thats been holding me back.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”